Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Starlight's Starships, v0.9.7.1 (Faction Standings, HullMods, minor fixes.)  (Read 71009 times)

Starlight

• Commander
  • Vulpes Ex Machina
    • View Profile
Re: Starlight's Starships, v0.32
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 05:46:51 AM »

Oh grief, now I can't unsee it.  >.<   The "NNnooooo....!" in my head is also thematical appropriate. 

I'll consider changing it later.  For now, I've fixed a fault in the Penetrator's .ship file (incorrect weapon mount) and made a number of minor improvements to others.  I've also created a number of different ship variants and put them to use in various different fleets.  Expect the larger fleets to be tougher now.  An Ocelot Assault is now my primary vessel in my own game. 

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/82949984/Starlight%27s%20Ships.rar
Starlight; Vulpine Space-Adventurer.  Fond of lasers.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 11:12:57 AM »

Well, you can always make clone helmet and rebels helmet and mercenary helmet, etc ;D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 05:29:13 PM »

Now you have to make an even bigger one for Lord Helmet's sake.

Starlight

• Commander
  • Vulpes Ex Machina
    • View Profile
Re: Starlight's Starships, v0.4
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 08:47:07 PM »

So, here's my new update, I've figured out weapons!

I present the start of Starlight's line of Plasma Bolt Cannons.  Light repeating plasma cannons, since I think Starfarer needs more energy weapons in general, blasters especially, light, fast blasters in particular.  Of special note is the PD-LPBC, which is essentially light plasma flak.  I've tweaked a lot of my designs to use the new in-house weapons.  I think it's still balanced.  Try it and let me know. z: )

No word as yet on making a giant Darth Vader helmet ship.  I think I need to make some more frigates before I truly attempt to annoy Lucasarts... and I think I need to take some more time out to play the game a bit before that.  ^.^

Durendal5150

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Starlight's Starships, v0.4 (Weapons!)
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 09:13:10 PM »

Some of these look pretty damn fine, others could use some more detail, especially the larger ones. I'd suggest some paneling for that big grey guy especially.

Kaerras

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2012, 10:02:11 PM »

Now you have to make an even bigger one for Lord Helmet's sake.

Thats DARK Helmet! You should know that, after all, he is your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

Starlight

• Commander
  • Vulpes Ex Machina
    • View Profile
Re: Starlight's Starships, v0.5 (Mini Torps!)
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2012, 04:35:13 PM »

So here's another update!

Now joining the PBC's (Plasma Bolt Cannons) are my new CCTS (Close Combat Torpedo System) launchers.  CCTS are small, fast, accurate short-range torps which fire in small bursts. 

CCTS are now the primary strike weapons of my ships. Speaking of which, I've added two:  The Starhail Corvette, for harassing larger targets then the Starhunter and the Thrush class missile-frigate.  Both of which have been integrated into campaign fleets as usual. 

These updates should work fine copied over each other (from 0,275 onwards, at least.)  I wont break anything until this mod itself is broken by a new Starfarer update. 

No, still no bigger helmet.  You people are breaking my Spaceballs.  I'll Brooks no more of this.  The puns can continue!  (...or I might give in, whatever first.)  z: )

Some of these look pretty damn fine, others could use some more detail, especially the larger ones. I'd suggest some paneling for that big grey guy especially.

Cheers for the compliment.  You are right, some of these definitely need more... more.  I definitely admit that I rushed a few of them out of enthusiasm to play with them and get a decent range of ships for my faction.  I'll definitely be going back and fixing them up. 

I assume you mean the Stalwart, but I personally think it's the Seagull and Penetrator that may need more love. 

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 05:40:20 AM »

Penetrator-class.
Name and shape. Hurhurhurhurhur.  :P

Starlight

• Commander
  • Vulpes Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 05:52:36 AM »

Penetrator-class.

Why, whatever do you mean?  ^.^

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 08:35:13 AM »

Penetrator-class.

Why, whatever do you mean?  ^.^

Please change the name of that ship before i cannot unsee it....

>_<

Starlight

• Commander
  • Vulpes Ex Machina
    • View Profile
Re: Starlight's Starships, v0.6 (Inferno Rays!)
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 08:53:36 AM »

A friend of mine had a chat with me about verion numbers.  Apparently I really should just go ahead and declare this 1.0 since I've achieved my initial milestones (craft of each type, weapons of each type.)  Personally, this doesn't feel like a 1.0 yet.  Existing ships need work and more ships need to exist.  In honour of our discussion though, I've numbered this 0.6, an even number for new content.  

Presenting Tactical Inferno Rays.  Short range, powerful beams which devestate opponents... along with your flux... and only if you can catch them.   On the plus side, they look really bloody pretty:

Hypnotic in motion.  

Have to ask, is the beam size a bit much?  I've reigned it back in from what I initially wanted, but I'm still concerned the effect may be over the top.  Having real trouble balancing sensibility with rule-of-cool here. z: j

Starlight

• Commander
  • Vulpes Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 08:54:45 AM »

Please change the name of that ship before i cannot unsee it....

>_<

Fine, since you said please.  It was a bad joke anyway. z: )

Starlight

• Commander
  • Vulpes Ex Machina
    • View Profile
Re: Starlight's Starships, v0.61 (Inferno Rays!)
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 09:03:39 AM »

The Penetrator has been renamed the Starlance.   This name is superficial in that it's in the csv, for now it's still known as Penetrator in the code.  Too keep from savegame breakage, I'll hold off on altering the rest of the code until the next Starfarer update breaks them anyway.

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
Re: Starlight's Starships, v0.6 (Inferno Rays!)
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2012, 09:19:54 AM »

Have to ask, is the beam size a bit much?  I've reigned it back in from what I initially wanted, but I'm still concerned the effect may be over the top.  Having real trouble balancing sensibility with rule-of-cool here. z: j

The firing effect, while pretty, is definitely also over-the-top visually. :o It's very nice to behold, but is also present in far too much abundance. I shudder to think of how player-distracting this would be in an actual battle, with multiple instances happening at or near the same time.

General rule of thumb: unless handling a rare & limit-laden gun that's meant to be a capital-ship-finisher, don't let a gun fire a beam that's nearly wider than the ship itself. :D I have to give you credit for asking the community for input, though. Carry on!
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

Starlight

• Commander
  • Vulpes Ex Machina
    • View Profile
Re: Starlight's Starships, v0.61 (Inferno Rays!)
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2012, 09:38:40 AM »

The firing effect, while pretty, is definitely also over-the-top visually. :o It's very nice to behold, but is also present in far too much abundance. I shudder to think of how player-distracting this would be in an actual battle, with multiple instances happening at or near the same time.

General rule of thumb: unless handling a rare & limit-laden gun that's meant to be a capital-ship-finisher, don't let a gun fire a beam that's nearly wider than the ship itself. :D I have to give you credit for asking the community for input, though. Carry on!

Thanks for the comment.  Let me say I'm a fan of your work, particularly Classic Dreanoughts for GSB.  Your Ragnaroks lit the skies with my fittings.  z: )

I've reduced the sizes by an average of 25% so the size you see in the picture is now the size of the super-heavy model (30 OP's, Firestorm) whilst the merely Heavy model no longer eclipses the hull of an Ocelot which fired it (the Destroyer in the picture.)  

I will say in my defense though that the beam in question is used as you describe - it's a finisher and unlikely to be sustained for very long.  In the ship in question it's set in a Large Keel (0-traverse) mount.  

« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 09:57:23 AM by Starlight »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8