Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: If you had the computer specs and money, what games would you get?  (Read 6265 times)

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile

For me, Dayz and Starforge. Starforge is effectively minecraft+Halo+Starcraft 2. looks pretty cool. Dayz is a mod for Arma II Operation arrowhead and is a multiplayer zombie survivor game, focused on realism and survival.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 09:01:00 AM by Pataroo1 »
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
Re: If you had the computer specs and money, waht games would you get?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 08:58:11 AM »

I want Mechwarrior Online and Hawken. Neither of which are out yet.  :/

But both are free to play!  :D

Just hope my computer will run them. Probably need to upgrade my graphics, haha.

EDIT: Also planetside 2. Also free to play. Suckers.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 09:00:49 AM »

I want Mechwarrior Online and Hawken. Neither of which are out yet.  :/
Do want, and I do have the computer specs. As far as I know there isn't a game I can't play, I just can't play anything recent on high settings.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 11:37:06 AM »

EDIT: Also planetside 2. Also free to play. Suckers.

But is it a Pay to Win? Or maybe even Pay4Fun? :/

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
Re: If you had the computer specs and money, what games would you get?
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 11:49:34 AM »

I don't know. I will just not play at that point though. Plenty of other games to occupy my time.

Humble Bundle V for instance.  :D
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 01:13:10 PM »

The games that I would want are also ones which don't even remotely exist as of yet. I'm far from being adequately served by the gaming industry...Fractal Softworks is a happy exception.

If I had a massive, prototypically accurate World War I strategic simulator which had the precise blend of operations, finance and production that I crave, I'd be extremely happy. In this context, I don't give a fig about glitzy graphics or purely tactical blood-n-guts. I play very, very few games, but the ones I do choose to spend time with are also games that I have a high degree of involvement with, so I demand a lot of depth and scope.

I'm not the least bit interested in the boring and frustrating emphasis on the Western front stalemate which lasted nearly the entire duration of the war, and which too many other games focus on almost exclusively. Any such game MUST include the ENTIRE land-based scope of things: the Balkan Front, the Italian Front, the Caucasus Front, the Mesopotamian Front, the Palestine Front. And yes, even the meat-grinder of Gallipoli. I want that plus the Austro-German vs. Russian Eastern Front as well as all other subsidiary theaters of action mentioned above.

It has to include the totality of the Great War at sea, too; not just the land-based struggles. That means I don't want merely the battle of the Falkland Islands and Jutland. Let me plan and fight actions similar to Dogger Bank and the battle of the Bight, too. I want to have to beg and wheedle the Americans into joining in, so that I can get borrow their surplus destroyers that the British Royal Navy needs to defend convoys from the U-boats which very nearly won the war! Oh yeah, and borrow the US Navy's famous Battleship Division Nine too, of course. 8)

I also want the Turco-Russian naval war in the Black Sea, where the German Goeben and Breslau became the most powerful units of the Turkish navy, beginning four years of cat-and-mouse tension in that isolated theater. And you'd better give me the fascinating sea-based chessgame between the Italian Regia Marina and the Imperial and Royal Navy of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Screw that anti-U-boat undersea net barrage strung across the Adriatic at Brindisi -- give me those Habsburg dreadnoughts, dammit, and I'll give the Allied squadrons in the Med...

...something to FEAR!
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 01:25:49 PM »

Archduke Astro, how long are you prepared to wait for such a game? :)

A year? 5 years? A decade? :)

I *miiiiiiiiiiight* be able to do something such with my extremely limited skills, but then again, it'd have to be in phyton :)

EDIT:  Imagine that kind of tactical depth in a space game. You're commanding exactly every battalion in your army/empire through every grand conquest that you start. It'd be in exact tactical depth as described by Archduke. Oh my god, I think I'd faint because that kind of epicness have not been seen by my cerbrum. :o
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 01:34:46 PM by Upgradecap »

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 01:34:59 PM »

Archduke Astro, how long are you prepared to wait for such a game? :)

A year? 5 years? A decade? :)

Hahaha. :D That's already "water under the bridge," my friend. I've been waiting nearly a quarter-century for a strategic simulation game like that one. Perhaps one day, my patience will finally be rewarded.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 01:37:07 PM »

A quarter century? :o

And how much would you be prepared to praise a creator of such a game? :)

You know, the easy part is creating all those shining graphics.......

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 01:41:23 PM »

And how much would you be prepared to praise a creator of such a game? :)

To the skies, Upgradecap; yea, unto the very feet of the angels. ;D

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 01:45:18 PM »

But why exactly WWI? All that I can Remember from history is that the battles where quite drawn out, with the trench-fighting and could even last up to a month or two. WWII had the blitzkreig tactic, which involved speed and precision.

(Mind you, I have done a lot of research in WWI and WWII :))

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 02:11:43 PM »

Hmmm, could add the technologies for each side, much like the recent Total war games.Liven it up a little.  :)
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 02:58:32 PM »

But why exactly WWI?

Well, I have a serious interest in the causes, events and the consequences of the First World War. I've studied it in great detail over the span of decades. For simplicity's sake, here's a short summary of "why," then:

Because unlike simply flipping the calendar over to a new page on January 1, 1901, the Great War was the true beginning of the 20th Century.

That conflict was the first true modern, industrialized war.

It was the first truly global war.

And because the unprecedented horrors of that war cast a very long shadow over the entire remainder of the 20th Century. The stresses of the war shattered the three huge monarchies of central and eastern Europe -- Imperial Russia, the Second Reich, and the Austro-Hungarian Empire -- while also dragging the world-spanning British Empire uncomfortably close to the brink of economic ruin, becoming significantly indebted to the United States. These events led straight to:

the Russian Civil War;
the victory of Communism and the rise of the Soviet Union;
the fall of the Ottoman Empire in Turkey;
Western involvement in oil-producing nations of the Middle East;
and the future seeds of WW2.

This had a massive direct impact upon the lives of many hundreds of millions of people, as well as a cumulative impact into the future upon the entire world as a whole.

Almost by default, this major reshuffling of the most powerful nations catapulted the United States onto the world's stage as a major power for the first time. That role is one it would continue to occupy in ever-increasing size until the present day.

...So, let's just say that there's A LOT at stake in this war, regardless of which way the end result rolls. ;)

With specific regards to combat:

Yes, the Western Front was a deadlocked fiasco. It didn't necessarily have to be that way, which is why I want a detailed strategic simulation to explore other possibilities. If in 1914 the French had perhaps not been so blinded by wanting revenge for losing Alsace and Lorraine during the Franco-Prussian War 44 years before, a concentration of their forces in the north instead of far to the east & the lost provinces on the eve of WW1 would have seriously impeded Germany's "Schlieffen Plan". That plan was basically for a rapid invasion of France through neutral Belgium, capturing Paris with a knockout blow and a total French surrender in the West before redeploying the army to the East in order to rip apart Russia's armies.

You know, the easy part is creating all those shining graphics.......

Remember, I'm wanting a broad-scope simulator. Not a battalion-level or even regiment-level game, so tactics will be completely abstracted into the background. I'm talking about a grand strategic-level game. Graphics could be as simple as a game of RISK for all I would care :P :

.....well, okay, not quite as simple a GUI as a game of RISK, but you get my point. For example, a boardgame doesn't have a zoom function, and my game would need a very powerful zoom.

As long as the gameplay is strongly rooted in the historical realities of the Great War without being completely imprisoned by them, and also provides me a full economic, manpower and construction simulation as well as all the large-scale campaigns, I'd be absolutely thrilled with it.

[-runs out of steam, looks around him-]

Sorry for the partial threadjacking. ::)

Heavy Weapons Pony

• Commander
  • Luna is best Admiral.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 03:07:27 PM »

I would get all of them. ALL OF THEM.
I am Admiral Luna and this is my favorite game on the Internets.
"Captain! Pilum Missile's detected at 18 degrees starboard!"
"Thank you ensign, but I'm quite sure our Burst PD array can handle that"
(Chuckles around the bridge)
"It seems to be a volley of thirty-two, sir"
(Dead silence) ~ Zaga

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 01:09:26 AM »

Don't forget the fall of the kaiser, the most important revolution as it ended the war and started WW2. Like you ideas. :)

In other news, add Bastion to the list for me.  :D

Pages: [1] 2