Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SpaceX Dragon Docks With ISS  (Read 8246 times)

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
SpaceX Dragon Docks With ISS
« on: May 25, 2012, 08:47:44 AM »

http://www.space.com/15874-private-dragon-capsule-space-station-arrival.html

Well, looks like SpaceX did it; they got their capsule to the space station in one piece. Score one for the private sector.

Still, though commercial space flight is starting to go forward and will undoubtedly do some awesome stuff in the coming decades, I'll always miss the good ol' space shuttles.

I hope SpaceX tries to go to the moon once they've established themselves in the area of resupplying the ISS. :P Man, if there's isn't a base on the moon/mission to Mars at some point in my lifetime, I'll be very, very ***.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: SpaceX Dragon Docks With ISS
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 08:54:37 AM »

Being more of a space noob, why would anyone build a base on the moon? Is there anything there worth the effort? I can understand Mars maybe...

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 09:02:44 AM »

unmanned capsule: meh

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 09:55:27 AM »

Being more of a space noob, why would anyone build a base on the moon? Is there anything there worth the effort? I can understand Mars maybe...

There are a few reasons. Besides science, exploration, etc it provides a stable, low gravity environment to do construction for other space exploration. It is a smaller body with 1/6 gravity and no atmosphere: it would be incredibly easy to launch from the moon compared to earth. A linear accelerator for initial velocity would actually work there because of the vacuum. In terms of economics: Helium. In particular Helium 3. To sum up, the Earth is running out of Helium and because the US decided to eliminate its stockpiles the market is flooded with it, drastically lowering the price. Helium 3 is the rarer isotope and barely present on the earth at all, but is the most viable candidate for fusion. On the moon it is pretty plentiful. I believe the stat is that the volume of a single space shuttle's cargo hold would be enough H3 to power all of North America for a year. Of course we have to get fusion working first. * cough *

Its a fully pressurized capsule that could have been carrying people and they would have made it! I believe Dragon is designed to be moon capable for people or even part of a mars or asteroid bound craft. Its a pretty giant leap forward for the private sector!

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 10:06:56 AM »

What's incredible is that a private company has done this. And done it cheap enough that NASA is willing to pay them to do it. It's incredible, and it's history being made.

This is literally one step closer to real-life starfarer. ;)
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 10:30:52 AM »

There are a few reasons. Besides science, exploration, etc it provides a stable, low gravity environment to do construction for other space exploration. It is a smaller body with 1/6 gravity and no atmosphere: it would be incredibly easy to launch from the moon compared to earth. A linear accelerator for initial velocity would actually work there because of the vacuum. In terms of economics: Helium. In particular Helium 3. To sum up, the Earth is running out of Helium and because the US decided to eliminate its stockpiles the market is flooded with it, drastically lowering the price. Helium 3 is the rarer isotope and barely present on the earth at all, but is the most viable candidate for fusion. On the moon it is pretty plentiful. I believe the stat is that the volume of a single space shuttle's cargo hold would be enough H3 to power all of North America for a year. Of course we have to get fusion working first. * cough *
Definitely a good point about the helium 3. Ever seen the movie "Moon"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twuScTcDP_Q
Great watch if you've got the time.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 10:32:04 AM »

Its a fully pressurized capsule that could have been carrying people and they would have made it! I believe Dragon is designed to be moon capable for people or even part of a mars or asteroid bound craft. Its a pretty giant leap forward for the private sector!

could is far less impressive than did.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 10:40:24 AM »

could is far less impressive than did.

You have to understand that this is only the second time Dragon has flown into space (though the first test flight was a different capsule, but w/e). They're not going to put people in the thing until they're 100% certain all the quirks have been worked out. At the very least, NASA now has an alternative way of sending crew to the station instead of relying on Russia.

Give it time, man. Advancements in the area of Space Exploration are slow, but steady.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 11:51:47 AM »

Quote from: the news article
this mission is the second-ever flight of Dragon, which first launched to orbit in December 2010.

i'm quite capable of reading, or do you treat all less-easily-impressed-than-you people this way?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 11:53:28 AM »

Definitely a good point about the helium 3. Ever seen the movie "Moon"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twuScTcDP_Q
Great watch if you've got the time.

I really want to watch that! Don't really have time right now but maybe over the weekend. I've been told its really good :D

this mission is the second-ever flight of Dragon, which first launched to orbit in December 2010.

i'm quite capable of reading, or do you treat all less-easily-impressed-than-you people this way?

Please just stop this now. Seriously, I'm so tired of this crap.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 02:34:16 PM »

yeah bro thats how i treat everyone who isn't impressed by things that i am impressed by deal with it

I really want to watch that! Don't really have time right now but maybe over the weekend. I've been told its really good :D
It's probably the best indie movie I've seen, though I can't say I've seen many. Prepare to have your mind screwed with :P

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 11:42:51 PM »

the amount of helium 3 on the moon probably isn't enough to do as much as you think, its just a thin layer of it on the surface. It could be useful but i think the real driver will be from asteroid mining

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 06:18:30 AM »

Don't feed the troll guys, Catra can't but help be less annoying if you just fail to respond.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 12:30:47 PM »

the amount of helium 3 on the moon probably isn't enough to do as much as you think, its just a thin layer of it on the surface. It could be useful but i think the real driver will be from asteroid mining
Arkyd Industries, AKA Planetary Resources right?
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 01:33:37 PM »

Don't feed the troll guys, Catra can't but help be less annoying if you just fail to respond.

oh yes, im the troll by voicing my opinion and then getting chewed out by not being as impressed as someone else, that's perfect logic.
Pages: [1] 2