Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: fleet points  (Read 8294 times)

bluey101

• Ensign
    • View Profile
fleet points
« on: May 24, 2012, 04:04:41 PM »

i have been using the sector xplo mod for a whike and i have come to the point where my fleet has past the 100 fleet point mark, so far that it is causing the loss of ships through accidents.
it tells me to increase my fleet points but i'm not sure how to do it, does anyone know?
if they could tell me that would be great
Ut lumen obscurant stelle potentiam tuam et vias tuas.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: fleet points
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 04:35:13 PM »

The simpliest way to fix that is to go in you game save file, and seek fleet point, I always put it at 1000 so I never get an issue having huge fleet.

In the save file, its normally after your credit amount, or around it.

You know, I don't know why that didn't occur to me to suggest this :) Sure beats editing fleet point costs all over the place.

Just search for
<maxFleetPoints>100.0</maxFleetPoints>
and replace 100 with whatever you like. Note: it gets reset if you lose your fleet and respawn.

I believe the plan is for 100 to be near the max with skills implemented, but I could be wrong. I'm in the small battles camp myself and find fleets more than ~120 not as fun.

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 04:40:18 PM »

If 100 is max with skills implemented then i hope the AI follows the same rules, those hegemony fleets with 5 or 6 onslaughts and a dozen other vessels would be impossible to defeat.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 04:45:44 PM »

Take everything I say with a whole bucket of salt, I am wildly speculating here: In the full game I'm not sure if we are supposed to be able to beat them, or at least not so easily. I get the feeling that the current campaign is really more of a tech demo than anything else and that there will be many other facets to the game. The idea of building a mercenary fleet up from scratch that can wipe out huge planetary armadas in only a few months is kinda silly :P

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 04:48:47 PM »

Took me 3 in game years to be able to fight against them and win and thats a pyrric victory....of course i could do it in like 3 months if i want to just cheese them but in a head to head even battle it takes a while.

2_Wycked

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 05:47:09 PM »

I edited my save file so my fleet point limit caps out at 1000, just so I can drag around a huge selection of ships. I just use whatever I feel like at the time.

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 05:57:01 PM »

A Hyperion (player) and 3 Paragons w/ Tach-Lances as fire support can take on the Hegemony Def Fleets pretty well with minimal losses, if any (and I mean crew). I take along an Atlas for the cargo space. Need it for the supplies to feed the fleet (it's slow and hungary) and he loot I get for the fight. Only 97 FP. Now, getting those 3 Paragons and 12 Tach-Lances is another matter ::)

YAZF

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 06:25:32 PM »

If 100 is max with skills implemented then i hope the AI follows the same rules, those hegemony fleets with 5 or 6 onslaughts and a dozen other vessels would be impossible to defeat.
Yea I feel as if some of those fleets aren't supposed to be beaten. They are supposed to be threatening and they are supposed to kill you if you engage them. It keeps the game difficult and dangerous. If you aren't friendly with the Hegemony or the Tri-tach and you go deep into their territory you are taking a huge risk.
Dear Alex,
There should be a battlestation/star fortress fight in the main menu mission mode.  :)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 07:59:48 PM »

A Hyperion (player) and 3 Paragons w/ Tach-Lances as fire support can take on the Hegemony Def Fleets pretty well with minimal losses, if any (and I mean crew). I take along an Atlas for the cargo space. Need it for the supplies to feed the fleet (it's slow and hungary) and he loot I get for the fight. Only 97 FP. Now, getting those 3 Paragons and 12 Tach-Lances is another matter ::)

This is actually one of my problems with the Tachyon Lance - it eliminates the need for a balanced fleet. With other caps you can get swarmed by small ships and killed by bombers. Tachyon Lance + spotter = completely immune. I actually don't use them anymore because it makes things too easy.

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 08:51:06 PM »

Aye thats why i said in a straight up fight.

zeangrygerman

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 04:53:45 PM »

Does anyone know how this could be done on a Mac? I've had a look under the saves, but all I could find was Campaign.xml and Descriptor.xml
Opening these two files has basically lead to a dead end.

VikingHaag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 05:15:41 PM »

Does anyone know how this could be done on a Mac? I've had a look under the saves, but all I could find was Campaign.xml and Descriptor.xml
Opening these two files has basically lead to a dead end.

As far as i know you can use an XML editor on any OS. I use xml viewer. Just find fleetdata, and edit the maximum FP.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 05:21:14 PM »

Using TextEdit (basically the Mac equivalent to Notepad) to open Campaign.xml works too. Just search for

using the search function and replace the number with whatever you want, like the post directly below the OP said.

zeangrygerman

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 06:15:10 PM »

Cheers @naufrago

Graidon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 01:35:04 PM »

Using TextEdit (basically the Mac equivalent to Notepad) to open Campaign.xml works too. Just search for

using the search function and replace the number with whatever you want, like the post directly below the OP said.

Could you show me more of what the block of code around that is?  I pulled up my Campaign.xml file and found that line, but mine looked like this (before any editing):

</computedCivilian>
                            </FleetMember>
                          </members>
                          <maxFleetPoints>500.0</maxFleetPoints>
                          <fleetPointsUsed>35.0</fleetPointsUsed>
                          <cargo>
                            <stacks></stacks>
                            <credits>
                              <value>0.0</value>
                            </credits>
                            <unlimitedStacks>false

It was at 500 already (even though my fleet only had 100 max fleet points).  When I tried to change it to 1000, nothing happened.  Help?
Pages: [1] 2