Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: New simulation mode mechanic  (Read 2780 times)

Gabrybbo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
New simulation mode mechanic
« on: May 16, 2012, 09:49:21 AM »

Hello everyone, as my first post and suggestion i thought of something that may be interesting:
I've noticed a lack of high-tech ships in the simulation mode, so why not have that when you encounter a ship you get that variant in the sim?
For example, when you fight an Elite Onslaught you get that variant so you can improve your tactics for the next encounter.

And, taking this a little bit further, why not make that some stations can sell you a "scan" of a particular ship that allows you to access that ship variant in the sim mode?
We could see an Egemony station sell scans of an Aurora or Apogee, so that you could try different setups without the risk of being destroyed for real, before you try to face a Tri-Tachyon fleet. This would make some sense in the final campaign, where you want to be prepared before going against an opponent you don't know, especially if you didn't play the game before.

Hopefully I didn't kill too many grammar nazis with my english (guess what, this is not my first language! :D) and... What do you guys think?
...you can be assured that whatever comes out of the dev-oven will be fantastic and delicious. And it will also include frosting and sprinkles.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: New simulation mode mechanic
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 09:59:01 AM »

This would seem reasonable, that the station of an enemy would sell scans, or even give to the captains alleged to the same faction, the scans of high-tech ships and their presumable load-outs.

+1 :)

Hypilein

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 10:18:56 AM »

That's actually a very nice Idea. It's flavour stuff, sure, but I want it (later).

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 10:43:21 AM »

I'm indifferent. On the one hand, I always thought all ship variants should be in the simulator to begin with. On the other hand, it is a cool idea, and it does make sense.

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 04:19:57 PM »

I'm indifferent. On the one hand, I always thought all ship variants should be in the simulator to begin with. On the other hand, it is a cool idea, and it does make sense.

As long as we get at least a few ships to start out with, so we can still try things.

The only problem with this being, you can just go play missions and learn the ships and variants that way.

carrier

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 07:44:13 PM »

Reasonable, I always want to fight my own ship layout...and high-tech ships

Gabrybbo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 11:41:19 PM »

As long as we get at least a few ships to start out with, so we can still try things.

The only problem with this being, you can just go play missions and learn the ships and variants that way.

I forgot to say that every ship "unlocked" will be bound to your character in the campaign, otherwise this would be pointless: playing Forlorn Hope would result in knowing almost every Egemony ship. :)

@BillyRueben: Maybe we need another "simulator", more like a custom battle creator, where you have all ships and you can try them out, maybe with the possibility to export a fleet from a campaign to the custom battle. My suggestion is just a little rp thing to be more immersed in your own campaign.  :)

@NikolaiLev: Yeah, obviously some ships would be in there, probably the most widespread ones.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. :D
...you can be assured that whatever comes out of the dev-oven will be fantastic and delicious. And it will also include frosting and sprinkles.