Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Black Hole  (Read 8359 times)

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Black Hole
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 06:08:02 AM »

I'm talking relative of course.
It's not the size of the object that's important (at least not with what we are talking about), its the mass and its gravitational field.
It's not the hole you see, its the debris ring around it and the radiation its spews forth from its poles that would make it an interesting object to observe.

That debris ring would be asteroids? And how would we see radiation?

I did see some animations of Black Hole eating sister Star. That looked awesome :) And last long :)
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 06:55:37 AM »

The "debris" rings would be gases and plasma circling the around the blackhole's event horizon in real life. The radiation would be caused by the extreme stress and friction of said gases and plasma orbiting the blackhole at high velocity. Again, that's real life theory.

As for gameplay mechanics: just make it a hazard in space. If you get too close to one, you start taking damage to your ship/fleet. Otherwise, you can treat them like a planet if you keep your proper distance. Of course, even if you do land dead smack on top of one, you'd still be able to escape. I wouldn't want it so that if you fell into an in-game blackhole that you couldn't get out.

If you want spome other effects, we can take the radiation aspect (assuming all blackhole in game are the same) as make it so the radiation requires you to have your shields up to prevent damage of some sort (I'd advocate killing crew slowly.) So if I had to sum up a balckhole mechanic for the game:

• Outer radius - Standard gravity field. Just like flying around planets.
  • Middle radius - Radiation ring. Shields required for protection. Does shield damage, so you can only stay here for so long before taking damage. Can destroy you if you let it, but you can maybe still salvage the ship afterwards.
  • Inner radius - Event Horizon. Continuous damage taken, regardless of shield status. Will destroy you (and prevent possible salvage) if stay in it too long.

That's the basic gameplay mechanic I can think of for blackholes. Not very realistic in the absolute sense (you'd be utterly screwed immediately if you cross an event horizon), but this is a game, so liberties can be taken for the sake of gameplay mechanics ;)

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 03:19:51 PM »

I don't think shields help anything against spaghettification (yes that's a real word) but eh, for the same of game mechanics its fine.

From Wiki:
While in the previous case objects would actually be destroyed and people killed by the heat, not the tidal forces, near a black hole (assuming that there is no nearby matter), objects would actually be destroyed and people killed by the tidal forces, because there is no radiation. Moreover, a black hole has no surface to stop a fall. As an object falls into a black hole, the tidal forces increase to infinity, so nothing can resist them. Thus, the infalling object is stretched into a thin strip of matter. Close to the singularity, the tidal forces even tear apart molecules.

Inside or outside the event horizon

The point at which tidal forces destroy an object or kill a person depends on the black hole's size. For a supermassive black hole, such as those found at a galaxy's center, this point lies within the event horizon, so an astronaut may cross the event horizon without noticing any squashing and pulling, although it remains only a matter of time, as once inside an event horizon, falling towards the center is inevitable. For small black holes whose Schwarzschild radius is much closer to the singularity, the tidal forces would kill even before the astronaut reaches the event horizon.[4][5] For example, for a black hole of 10 Sun masses[6] and the above-mentioned rope at 1000 km distance, the tensile force halfway the rope is 325 N. It will break at a distance of 320 km, well outside the Schwarzschild radius of 30 km. For a black hole of 10,000 Sun masses it will break at a distance of 3200 km, well inside the Schwarzschild radius of 30,000 km.
Pages: 1 [2]