Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Seeing things in mini-map fog of war  (Read 1876 times)

YAZF

• Commander
    • View Profile
Seeing things in mini-map fog of war
« on: May 12, 2012, 11:37:01 PM »

When I was piloting my Paragon around I couldn't see any ships on the radar to snipe with my lances. So I just held my mouse all the way to the right of the screen (because there were missiles coming from that direction) and after a while I had scrolled over so far I could see an enemy ship. I pulled up the minimap and the center of my screen at that point was at the edge of the sight circle my ship provided (and wouldn't move further than that), but enemy ship was still visible. It was just on the half of the screen outside of my ship's vision range. From that point i could target the enemy ship. It wouldn't show the ships details in the HUD (unless i moved within radar sight range) but I could still switch to the targeted ship with the z button. After that I just sniped the ship down but I don't know if this is something you want fixed or not.
Dear Alex,
There should be a battlestation/star fortress fight in the main menu mission mode.  :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Seeing things in mini-map fog of war
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 12:28:28 PM »

Thanks - yeah, this is an issue, but not immediately clear how to fix (could tether the view somewhat, I suppose). I'll keep it in mind.

Alrenous

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Seeing things in mini-map fog of war
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 04:34:46 AM »

There are other tricks to see into the fog of war as well, though I can't remember them off hand.

I disagree that it is an issue.
Let's say the normal viewport is optical and the C2 window is radar. It makes sense they wouldn't always overlap.

From a gameplay perspective, the z-targeting thing is also fine, because you can only lock onto a ship that is in range, and if you switch targets you lose the lock.

Perhaps simply formalize it as a lock, and then, if it is too jarring from a fairness standpoint - I can lance it and it can't lance me back - give ships the ability to shake locks. An ECCM pulse glitches your screen for a split second, and that's that.

Crap, I bet ECCM would be crazy fun when designed by this team.