Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Paragon Loadout  (Read 20657 times)

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Paragon Loadout
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2012, 01:35:54 PM »

Glad to see I'm not the only one that goes without missiles on the paragon.  I feel like the missile slots are a waste of OP on this ship.  You really can't get any missiles that warrant using up (at least 16 for any decent missile) OP, when you can apply it towards much better things.

I still love the Tachyon Lances though.  Their range and power is undeniable, though once enemies close in your turn rate hurts it a bit.

a 6 sabot salvo ( pods in the universals ) followed up by a 2x plasma cannon and 6x A/MB frontal burst is well worth it.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
Re: Paragon Load outs
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2012, 01:44:20 PM »

I find the Paragon just to slow for my taste. I prefer the Odyssey with Augmented engines, that's as slow as I'm willing to go.

I also think the Paragon is difficult to equip, there are just so many options and you have so many points to spent and yet it is difficult to make a balanced ship capable of handling any given situation. I've yet bin able to top the standard "Elite" variant in overall performance. But I also haven't spent enough time with it yet.

frag971

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2012, 02:37:44 PM »

Mine is
-2 Graviton Beams in the back to kill pesky fighters and frigates
-7 Burst PD lasers dotted around the ship
-8 linked Heavy Antimatter Blasters

I come up to an Onslaught and in one volley discharge all 8 blasters to overload the shields and bring the hull down to 5-10%.
It does eat up all of my flux :( But hey who cares about ammo when your shots are overkill right? :D
... I do switch them to alternating so i can fire single shots against frigates and destroyers

Another variant is to replace all PDs with small gravitons.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 03:03:45 PM by frag971 »
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2012, 03:47:34 PM »

I find the Paragon just to slow for my taste. I prefer the Odyssey with Augmented engines, that's as slow as I'm willing to go.

I also think the Paragon is difficult to equip, there are just so many options and you have so many points to spent and yet it is difficult to make a balanced ship capable of handling any given situation. I've yet bin able to top the standard "Elite" variant in overall performance. But I also haven't spent enough time with it yet.

The one I made with Heavy Burst/Burst PD in the small and medium slots and autopulse in the large slots pretty much can solo most fleets.  Two or more of them at once just destroy everything in sight almost instantly.

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2012, 11:43:16 PM »

Would a moderator kindly merge this accidentally-started thread with the other, current thread on the same subject, please? Thanks.
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2012, 12:03:10 AM »

Mauler hammerhead with 4 alternating pulse lasers, looks badass when firing....Can't handle firing both maulers AND pulse lasers for long though...Plus does reasonnably good against fighters for some reason....

Wish there was a simulation mode where I could try a new conquest loadout....

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2012, 12:33:36 AM »

Would a moderator kindly merge this accidentally-started thread with the other, current thread on the same subject, please? Thanks.

Done. Thanks for the report, Astro.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2012, 06:06:15 AM »

Mauler hammerhead with 4 alternating pulse lasers, looks badass when firing....Can't handle firing both maulers AND pulse lasers for long though...Plus does reasonnably good against fighters for some reason....

How exactly did you mount Pulse Lasers on Hammerhead? They require Medium Energy slots, and Hammerhead has none of these. File hack, perhaps?

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2012, 07:00:27 AM »

How exactly did you mount Pulse Lasers on Hammerhead? They require Medium Energy slots, and Hammerhead has none of these. File hack, perhaps?

IR pulse lasers?

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2012, 07:37:03 AM »

IR pulse lasers?
Ah, yes - that's actually interesting setup, I've always mounted tactical lasers on my Hammerheads, I'm curious how the one with IRs would work out.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2012, 02:48:22 PM »

IR pulse lasers?
Ah, yes - that's actually interesting setup, I've always mounted tactical lasers on my Hammerheads, I'm curious how the one with IRs would work out.

Better versus larger ships worse versus frigates and fighters.

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2012, 05:02:37 PM »

Better versus larger ships worse versus frigates and fighters.
hydremajor stated that it does well against fighters aswell, which makes me even more curious.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2012, 06:16:41 PM »

they are good against the slower fighters ( < 200 )  due to their RoF and decent turn speed, wouldn't really call them "reliable" though.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]