Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 3059 times)

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
Game of Thrones
« on: May 13, 2012, 05:54:38 PM »

Just wanted to ask guys - anyone liking the book, maybe watching the TV series (season 2 in progress!) ? I myself haven't read the books yet, I watched entire TV season 1 in three days or so, after my sister told me to check it out. My favourite part of the story is the Wall lore and all that, Snow's journey and so on :)

How about you fellow star pirates ;> ?

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 06:11:49 PM »

Just wanted to ask guys - anyone liking the book, maybe watching the TV series (season 2 in progress!) ? I myself haven't read the books yet, I watched entire TV season 1 in three days or so, after my sister told me to check it out. My favourite part of the story is the Wall lore and all that, Snow's journey and so on :)

Read the books is all I have to say, the tv show is good, but the books are amazing.

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 06:19:16 PM »

Basically, yeah. I saw the show first and loved it.

Then I read the books and got all the detail and intricacy that they couldn't fit into the show if they wanted to.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 06:44:13 PM »

books will always be far superior to the TV programs that try to bring them to life.

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 06:49:49 PM »

Read the books is all I have to say, the tv show is good, but the books are amazing.
That's what I heard, and it can be clearly seen in the series' script - there's simply too little time to fit all this into one hour episode, so plot gaps appear. Anyway, I will surely read all of the books! :)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 12:04:29 AM »

I really enjoyed the first three books, but then I realized just how glacially slow the plot is moving - honestly the entire plot so far should have been less than one book. This whole business of juggling the character perspectives worked for a while ... but  I really just don't give a *** about half of the characters! And that half got a whole book! Ugg! I'm done until the series is finished. The author spent something like 10 years putting out the last two books (4,5 I think?), and the amount of plot advanced was only that of one book - he split the book into two parts when it got too long. That is exactly the sort of thing that an editor needs to stamp down on hard - its a completely ridiculous amount of bloat! Unfortunately editors can't do that kind of thing to a successful fiction author... leading to much worse fiction.

To sum up... its a good read, but unforgivably slow and has quite obvious plot turns that just make you roll your eyes at the character's stupidity. If you like it (and I do, for all I rant), I recommend reading the history of the Roman empire complete with battle maps. I'm not kidding, its really really cool stuff! Oh, and you'll see how the island is just freaking Britain recast into fantasy * cough Hadrian cough *, again.

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 07:33:15 AM »

Read the books if you like the series, you get much more information and I've noticed that in the second season the writers alter the plot some. For the scope of the books though they are doing a great job.

I didn't notice the slowness of the plot really, if it is slow I really don't care Martin is an amazing writer. Maybe it's the difference in the reason we read?