Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Name Generator  (Read 8500 times)

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Name Generator
« on: May 13, 2012, 09:08:35 AM »

I keep forgetting to post this here.

http://rinkworks.com/namegen/

I found this online tool that generates names a while back. You can use them for person names, ship names, or whatever. Yes, there are a ton of name generators out there on the internet, but not many let you create your own generation parameters.

For example, I used this template to generate the person names for the KTA in Ascendency:

(tal|ma|ka|hir||van|kar|nal|ula|el|na|tu|ir|ko|si)(<s>aa|<sv>|<s>|<V>|<C>|<v>)(aan|ova|ja|ni|lan|ka|ni|tan|ut|ta|a|en|aa|kea)

The first part in parentheses determines the beginning on the name. The second parentheses determines the middle, and the last part in parentheses determines the ending. Anything enclosed in "< >" represents a special character code. <s> generates a generic syllable, <v> generates a vowel, <c> a consonant, etc.

There are links on the left of the website to show you how to make your own templates. You can also use one of the default templates if you need something fast.

Here's a few of the names that template generated:

Naalan
Eloka
Vaniut
Ageaa
Naloaa
Vanentaan
Nalessaani
Taloova
Irkaa
Talissova
Kachalan
Tumorta
The template ended up working perfectly, generating the Finnish-like set of names that I was shooting for. Keep in mind however, that not all of these will end up perfect--you need to read them over, because I'd say at least about 1/4th of the names generated are pretty crappy, even with the best template.

lulzy names:
Ulaoughkaa
Ulaightija
Maughutan
Akaa
Ini
Danni

So yeah. If you're making your own faction and you want them to have a set of unique person/ship names, here you go.