Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SCP  (Read 8961 times)

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
SCP
« on: May 11, 2012, 11:35:42 AM »

Has anyone else played these games? They're as scary as hell. Even the website freaked me out (not the game's website, but the other one).
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: SCP
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 11:39:49 AM »

SCP?

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 11:46:05 AM »

Look it up on youtube, quite a few videos. or look up SCP:containment  breach.
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 02:22:55 PM »

Whoa. I Really enjoyed that site, but didn't realize anyone wrote a game for it...
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 01:33:53 PM »

Is this what you meant?

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 01:45:03 PM »

oh
meh
gawd

this is definitely up there on the list of games that, under no circumstances, will i ever be able to play in my lifetime.

thank you vandala, i was't planning on sleeping for the next forever anyway.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 02:05:24 PM by Catra »

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 04:13:29 PM »

LOL, really? This scares you? I find it hilarious, the mechanic they use is funny. The games have potential, as long as they can keep away from jump scares.

They have a pretty cool site with all sorts of these entities and items locked up with descriptions about how they look and what they can do and how they should be kept locked away. They have more then 1000 of 'em.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/

Some cool examples:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-002
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-092
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-152
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-173 (the original, from the game)
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-538
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-539
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-597
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-598

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 05:11:07 PM »

yeah, i'm easily terrified by stuff like that D: (moreso gingerbread man than ghosty, ghosty was meh)

it gets roflromic when i try to play 1st person Alien games:

my friend booted up AvP 2 on max graphic and max scary level (IE: dark), and didn't tell me what it was and i just went along with it. when the first alien jumped out i kicked back with such force that the desk indented the wall (not the whole desk, but like the top comes out an inch from what's supporting it up) and my voice cracked for like a day or two.

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 01:59:01 PM »

They have a pretty cool site with all sorts of these entities and items locked up with descriptions about how they look and what they can do and how they should be kept locked away. They have more then 1000 of 'em.

Thank you for those links! I could spend entire days reading all of that creative, fascinating, creepy (and sometimes funny) content, and fully intend to. It's like a hugely expanded version of the "Warehouse 23" sourcebook for GURPS.
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »

Thank you for those links! I could spend entire days reading all of that creative, fascinating, creepy (and sometimes funny) content, and fully intend to. It's like a hugely expanded version of the "Warehouse 23" sourcebook for GURPS.
I think there was even a community Dwarf Fortress fort in the spirit of this website going on somewhere.

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 05:24:36 PM »

I thought Amnesia was scary.

But this? Even single a thought of this concept - a creature moving only when you're not looking - gives me creeps every time I think about it. I will never be able to play SCP games - I can only watch videos on youtube, and read those fantastic descriptions :P

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 12:09:09 AM »

I thought Amnesia was scary.

But this? Even single a thought of this concept - a creature moving only when you're not looking - gives me creeps every time I think about it. I will never be able to play SCP games - I can only watch videos on youtube, and read those fantastic descriptions :P

Does this predate the doctor who episodes? The Weeping Angels are the name of the monster there. (Episode name: Blink - might be another one) Same concept, very well executed.

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 07:25:15 AM »

Some are hilarious, most are cool and some are creepy
Then again, after spending most of my nights browsing /x/...

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 02:53:44 PM »

A bit of a semi-offtopic ramble from me...

/x/...

Yes, you need to choose your preferred flavor of nightmare fuel with care. Here's an example where I didn't.

Last night, encouraged by the consistently high quality of this thread's subject, I made the mistake of staying up really late while being engrossed in reading the SCP descriptions. Bad idea, Archduke. :o  

I mean it was a great read, but I had a lot of difficulty falling asleep afterwards. Many of the SCP articles are written with content and tone that comprises a special kind of what I'll call "philosophical horror", which is far worse for me than mere gore or suspense. I think that kind of modern updating of a Lovecraftian style is very powerful, on account of its corrosive effect on the fundamental human belief that we inhabit a universe that does make sense and can be understood. The SCP wiki skillfully shreds that belief and bakes it into a pie which is served for your dessert.

The only other works of fiction I've encountered which equal (and exceed) this are the brilliant Xeelee Sequence of novels by Stephen Baxter. Awwww yeah.....that's science fiction which, in a broader sense, is often stunningly pure, bleak existential horror at the same time. In fact, that's the same flavor of background setting in Starfarer which oddly drew me towards this game. Our one unprepared, resource-poor, now-permanently isolated Sector is also a kind of horror setting.

Baxter's novels load it on a hundred times heavier, what with every single frakkin' star in the universe which could support human life -- being extinguished.....intentionally.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 02:56:48 PM by Archduke Astro »
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 03:26:38 PM »

A bit of a semi-offtopic ramble from me...

/x/...

Yes, you need to choose your preferred flavor of nightmare fuel with care. Here's an example where I didn't.

Last night, encouraged by the consistently high quality of this thread's subject, I made the mistake of staying up really late while being engrossed in reading the SCP descriptions. Bad idea, Archduke. :o  

I mean it was a great read, but I had a lot of difficulty falling asleep afterwards. Many of the SCP articles are written with content and tone that comprises a special kind of what I'll call "philosophical horror", which is far worse for me than mere gore or suspense. I think that kind of modern updating of a Lovecraftian style is very powerful, on account of its corrosive effect on the fundamental human belief that we inhabit a universe that does make sense and can be understood. The SCP wiki skillfully shreds that belief and bakes it into a pie which is served for your dessert.
This. All of this. The SCP wiki is amazing. I first read it when I was like 14, at 3 in the morning. Had nightmares for a week. Went back for more. I'm going to reread it right now.
Reading entire novels sort of overdoses me with fear, which is why the SCP wiki felt so much better to me than books.
Pages: [1] 2