Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2 small UI related suggestions  (Read 2412 times)

BonhommeCarnaval

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
2 small UI related suggestions
« on: May 11, 2012, 11:17:14 AM »

1) If you click and hold the left mouse button on the campaign map but your initial click was anywhere on a background planet, your fleet will not follow the cursor. It seems it would be more practical if your fleet would only travel to the center of the planet (or other) if you tap the mouse button, but follow the cursor if you hold it down and move it away from the planet.

2) If it's not too much trouble to implement, perhaps the storage facility should be able to use stored supplies to repair your ships rather than only the supplies in your cargohold.
Quote from: Archduke Astro
One of you exhibits humility-impairment syndrome
Aww, you so sweet!

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
  • I'm a different kind of buddy.
    • View Profile
Re: 2 small UI related suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 11:42:21 AM »

Would you mind clarifying #1 a little more? I'm a bit fuzzy about what you are saying.

I also agree with what you are saying for #2, since you own them, but it's really not that much trouble to shift the supplies over, hit a button, and shift them back. It's probably an easy fix and I would expect Alex to apply this next update.

Emailformygames

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 11:46:30 AM »

1) If you click and hold the left mouse button on the campaign map but your initial click was anywhere on a background planet, your fleet will not follow the cursor. It seems it would be more practical if your fleet would only travel to the center of the planet (or other) if you tap the mouse button, but follow the cursor if you hold it down and move it away from the planet.
I understand what you're saying (I think).  Have the computer register the click on mouse press instead of mouse release?  Personally I sort of prefer the functionality how it is now.
Hm... click and drag (to make pathing) is kind of cool in some games but I think that the main problem with Starfarer is the debris that could accidentally be moused over which would (probably) mess up the path.  It is an interesting idea though...

2) If it's not too much trouble to implement, perhaps the storage facility should be able to use stored supplies to repair your ships rather than only the supplies in your cargohold.

... So instead of just flying to the storage facility, putting some of the supplies from your facility into your cargo hold, and then exiting to the main facility screen and pressing "A", you want to be able to just fly up to the facility and press A to use supplies already in the facility?  Or is it that you want to be able to use the supplies that are located in the facility for your ships no matter where you are on the map?

If it is the first I kind of think it would be a nice quality of life change.  If it is the latter I think that it might be a bit ... broken I think would be the word.

Edit:  Saw post below edited to reflect that.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 11:52:49 AM by GankedToast »

BonhommeCarnaval

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 11:47:09 AM »

Would you mind clarifying #1 a little more? I'm a bit fuzzy about what you are saying.

I also agree with what you are saying for #2, since you own them, but it's really not that much trouble to shift the supplies over, hit a button, and shift them back. It's probably an easy fix and I would expect Alex to apply this next update.

If you want to click and hold, so that your fleet continually follows your cursor on the campaign map, but you accidentally do your initial click on a planet or other object, even if you hold down the left mouse button and move your cursor away from the planet, your fleet will just go to the center of the planet and stay there. It can make you get caught or fail to catch a prey, it's already happened to me a few times.
Aww, you so sweet!

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
  • I'm a different kind of buddy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 11:49:06 AM »

Ohhhh ok now i get it. I guess that would be a bug.

BonhommeCarnaval

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 11:49:24 AM »

I understand what you're saying (I think).  Have the computer register the click on mouse press instead of mouse release?  Personally I sort of prefer the functionality how it is now.

... So instead of just flying to the storage facility, putting some of the supplies from your facility into your cargo hold, and then exiting to the main facility screen and pressing "A", you want to be able to just fly up to the facility and press A to use supplies already in the facility?  Or is it that you want to be able to use the supplies that are located in the facility for your ships no matter where you are on the map?

If it is the first I kind of think it would be a nice quality of life change.  If it is the latter I think that it might be a bit ... broken I think would be the word.

You misunderstood #1. See my post just above.

As for #2, I'm reffering to the former, where if you click A and your fleet doesn't have enough supplies in cargo, it uses any supplies available in the storage. It wouldn't magically allow you to use them from anywhere but at the storage itself. :P
Aww, you so sweet!