Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Project CAELUS idea thread.  (Read 52116 times)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Project CAELUS idea thread.
« on: May 10, 2012, 10:56:15 PM »

This is the thread where you submit ideas to project CAELUS.

These threads also increase our organization, since It's getting pretty big.

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Project CAELUS idea thread.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 01:50:41 AM »

my idea: wait until the game hits beta so we don't need to rebuild everything after each update
"Captain! You can't call our greatest dreadnought 'The Parrot'"
"Watch me"
Spiral Arms: Ship Sprites for Everyone

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 06:44:27 AM »

my idea: wait until the game hits beta so we don't need to rebuild everything after each update

Well, we *don't* have to Wait until the game hits beta, since we can just implement our own solarsystem. 

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 06:49:50 AM »

Except the code for all this stuff is going to change quite a bit as the game continues, especially when Alex implements multiple systems.

If you really want to do a project of this size, and have it be successful, and you're not just being ADD; you'll wait until the game is much closer to being done.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 06:52:39 AM »

Except the code for all this stuff is going to change quite a bit as the game continues, especially when Alex implements multiple systems.

If you really want to do a project of this size, and have it be successful, and you're not just being ADD; you'll wait until the game is much closer to being done.

Yep, I realize that. But we don't have to release the mod until we feel we are approaching an playable alpha. Ofcourse, everything will be much easier once Alex gives a go at the multiple starsystems.

Emailformygames

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 11:59:20 AM »

Yep, I realize that. But we don't have to release the mod until we feel we are approaching an playable alpha. Ofcourse, everything will be much easier once Alex gives a go at the multiple starsystems.

That or just release the ships that you guys have so that you can balance them against vanilla.  When the multiple systems are implemented then you can start working on that side of things, but at least you'll have (somewhat) decently balanced ships and w/e else you guys are implementing done.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 12:00:34 PM »

That or just release the ships that you guys have so that you can balance them against vanilla.  When the multiple systems are implemented then you can start working on that side of things, but at least you'll have (somewhat) decently balanced ships and w/e else you guys are implementing done.

Vanilla balance may happend, but is not a priority

But remember, we will always balance the ships against each other ;)

maffo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 03:00:20 PM »

hmm balancing will be a hell, we could vanilla balance them via the balance suit program though, so by vanilla balancing them all they should be balanced against each other to.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 07:28:24 PM »

Oi....anything here related to ideas for the mod?
Anyway, some main factions should be:

Onerar - Traders/miners of the expanse.  Usually fields Captial Ships or Fights, almost never anything in between.  Fighters are similar to the Mining Drone in constuction, built though with weak weaponry. Capital Ships are large and ponderous, but have powerful mining-related weapons.  All Servine Capital ships have a large cargo capacity, slow speed (on the campaign map and in battle) and at least one flight deck.  Also fields destroyer-cruiser sized Civilian Ships (freighters, personnel ships, etc.) to ferry cargo between systems.  No faction but Pirate factions are Hostile towards them, as the economy of most relies on these people.

Practa - Pirate Faction.  Fields fighters up to small cruisers.  What they lack in firepower is made up in numbers.  Hostile towards all factions, though they mainly plunder the goods of the Onerar.

Rex - Similar to the Hegemony, in that they are a dominant force in the system.  Field mostly midline-ish technology, a few high and lows here and there.  Neutral only towards the Onerar, Hostile to all else.

Regin - Similar to the TT, in that they have a "hit and run" tactic.  They field smaller fleets, mainly High-tech and midline.  Politics same as Rex (neutral towards Onerar, etc.)

Elans - A distant faction, only just arriving in the system.  They have a small base on an outside planet, and are mainly high tech.  Have the "normal" fleets, a nice balance of frigates, destroyers, etc. and a few smatterings of fighters here and there.  They really have had no permanent home, and have been searching ever since man has been able to go to other planets, not just the Earth's Moon.  They were meet with hostility from the Rex, but the Regin are more cunning.  They have allied themselves with the Elans in an effort to help destroy the Rex.  Thus far, they have not succeed.  Neutral, as again, only towards the Onerar.

*All factions, except the Practa, are nuetral towards the player.  If you're wondering where I god some distant ides about the factions, the Onerar was from the orginal Independents, the Pratca from the Lotus Conglemorate, the Rex from the Hierarchy, the Regin from the Alien race in some mods, and the Elans from the Nomads, all with a few modifications of my own here and there....;D
OK, what do you think???
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 12:28:41 AM »

Yep, i`m with the others who is advising you to wait till the game has multiple systems.

Concentrate on lore and sprites. Your number of planned ships is really something you need to reach first. And that`s not that easy :)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 01:33:37 AM »

Oi....anything here related to ideas for the mod?
Anyway, some main factions should be:

Onerar - Traders/miners of the expanse.  Usually fields Captial Ships or Fights, almost never anything in between.  Fighters are similar to the Mining Drone in constuction, built though with weak weaponry. Capital Ships are large and ponderous, but have powerful mining-related weapons.  All Servine Capital ships have a large cargo capacity, slow speed (on the campaign map and in battle) and at least one flight deck.  Also fields destroyer-cruiser sized Civilian Ships (freighters, personnel ships, etc.) to ferry cargo between systems.  No faction but Pirate factions are Hostile towards them, as the economy of most relies on these people.

Practa - Pirate Faction.  Fields fighters up to small cruisers.  What they lack in firepower is made up in numbers.  Hostile towards all factions, though they mainly plunder the goods of the Onerar.

Rex - Similar to the Hegemony, in that they are a dominant force in the system.  Field mostly midline-ish technology, a few high and lows here and there.  Neutral only towards the Onerar, Hostile to all else.

Regin - Similar to the TT, in that they have a "hit and run" tactic.  They field smaller fleets, mainly High-tech and midline.  Politics same as Rex (neutral towards Onerar, etc.)

Elans - A distant faction, only just arriving in the system.  They have a small base on an outside planet, and are mainly high tech.  Have the "normal" fleets, a nice balance of frigates, destroyers, etc. and a few smatterings of fighters here and there.  They really have had no permanent home, and have been searching ever since man has been able to go to other planets, not just the Earth's Moon.  They were meet with hostility from the Rex, but the Regin are more cunning.  They have allied themselves with the Elans in an effort to help destroy the Rex.  Thus far, they have not succeed.  Neutral, as again, only towards the Onerar.

*All factions, except the Practa, are nuetral towards the player.  If you're wondering where I god some distant ides about the factions, the Onerar was from the orginal Independents, the Pratca from the Lotus Conglemorate, the Rex from the Hierarchy, the Regin from the Alien race in some mods, and the Elans from the Nomads, all with a few modifications of my own here and there....;D
OK, what do you think???

Now this is something that we're going to use! Sounds awesome, and sets the scene for the mod.  Though I bet we won't survive with just those factions. It's a big project, after all :)

maffo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 06:19:02 AM »

First of all because of the lack of a coherent story about the cealus system. I am making the lore from the understanding that the cealus system part is of the corvus system and likewise got isolated during the corvus incident.

(Before continuing reading, please take a second to set up this video in the background, )

The Independents

Lore:

the corvus incident didn't just close opportunities, it also opened new one. A mixed bunch of traders,mercs, rustlers and all other people profited of the chaos that came with the new status-quo. These people where driven by a big desire of freedom and money, and broke of with the traditional factions that existed. These people don't scare away from most ways of making money, but stay away from pirateering, as they dont want to bind and stop being able to travel through the galaxy. Many tried to bind these Independers together, but no-one succeeded succesfully. Because they have profit on their minds, and freedom in their hearts.

ships

Ships used by the Independers are acquired over long times, and are prized possessions as they allow them to travel freely. Factions don't tend to be to happy selling ships to the Independers, because they could sell it to their enemies/rivals. There is one shipbuilder , the Mercenary Association, that sell their ships exclusively to mercenaries and other Independers.(Not yet sure what the traits will be for the ships of this builder).

Faction: Independents

Behavior: Cautious when needed, aggression when profitable.

Traits: independent ships are build to fulfill a universal role within their smaller-than-normal fleets. Unlike the larger factions which can afford specializations within their bigger fleets. Independent ships are more expensive, weaker but faster and fitted flexible with a lot of universal mounts. Most fo their ships are fitted with omni relatively efficient shields. another common sight within the Independent fleets is the modding of other factions ships. replacing mount for universal use, make them quicker and let them carry more cargo.

Goal/Motto: Just as a stalker, following its goal, yet stays at a safe distance, Also a acronym for the collection of free minded individuals, just as in the game STALKER(dont know it? Shame on you!)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R
Scavenger, Trespasser, Adventurer, Loner, Killer, Explorer, Rustler

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 06:36:31 AM by maffo »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 06:22:26 AM »

TECHNICLY, the Caelus isn't going to be a system.  It's going to be a whole bunch of systems in one game.  But anyway, I like the motto for STALKER, it's good!
And yea, I do know we're gonna wait until beta stage until we implement Campaign, it's just I wanted to get those ideas off of my head before they flew out. ;D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

maffo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 06:37:16 AM »

i know its a collection of systems, but i just cant find a good name for a collection of systems

D0vahkiin

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 08:00:36 AM »

I like that lore for the independents. Anyway, once we get enough ships for them, we could do a simple test Mission between an independent trading fleet and a small pirate raiding fleet, and then balance them out. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13