Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: is the buffalo usable?  (Read 11624 times)

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
is the buffalo usable?
« on: May 10, 2012, 06:03:24 PM »

Just wondering here cuz I found a buffalo that surrendered to me...

has anyone found any way to use a buffalo other than chucking it at the closest station and get the money?

fair for artillery I suppose but there's really not much long ranging u can do with only one medium slot (which is prob gonna be a pilum), the rest are at most MRM's...
mmm.... tartiflette

Himntor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: is the buffalo usable?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 06:07:28 PM »

For AI to control, no it's not really worth keeping, even controlling it yourself is kind of silly. It's mostly just worth to sell.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 06:13:04 PM »

they're a real nuisance if you can get like 3 of em.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 06:27:15 PM »

do they do anything that no one else can do better?

I mean if I have 3 and I sell them to buy say an enforcer and 2 lashers, won't they be better in every way? (ok 3 pilums but is there a situation where I would prefer their service rather than anything else?)
mmm.... tartiflette

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
  • I'm a different kind of buddy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 06:38:46 PM »

I would say no, they have no shield and terrible armor and hull integrity. Their one saving grace is that they have a decent, but not great, weapons package. Still, you could get a lot more mileage out of a different ship. I think that the Buffalos are under-powered, but what the heck, every ship can't be as good as the next one.

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 06:43:10 PM »

I would simply sell them as soon as you could.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 06:51:08 PM »

do they do anything that no one else can do better?

I mean if I have 3 and I sell them to buy say an enforcer and 2 lashers, won't they be better in every way? (ok 3 pilums but is there a situation where I would prefer their service rather than anything else?)

*shrug*

all the mainline ships do everything better than they do, but then you're missing the point in that they are not mainline ships, but rather are support ships (as their variant name hints at) and are supposed to sit behind the enforcer and lasher and spaz out the enemy with missile spam.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 07:16:27 PM »

Short answer is barely, haha.

They are a lot better after the patch but they do have to be babysat.

It can be a fun ship to pilot if you capture one and don't have anything bigger yet. I loved tooling around in mine for a while.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Cerevox

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 08:25:51 PM »

Sorta yes. If you load it up with salamanders and harpoons and you control it yourself, then if you unload all the missiles at once it can take out some of the lighter frigates. But that's about it. There are cheaper and better ships if you just want it for long range support.

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 09:34:31 PM »

I "use" the Buffalo mk2 as targets for Reaper torpedo; that count?  ::)

In all honesty, at this point in the game, the Buffalo is mainly a nuisance/distraction. It seems to currently be a simple, easy-to-kill target to help build up a player in the early phases of the game. No shield, weak armor, low hull integrity. Weapon selection is reasonable, but the missile hardpoint makes for limited usage. If it had one or two front-mounted missile hardpoints, it would increase its utility a bit more (though probably not by much.) In particular, if the Med. Missile mpount was forward facing, it would open up the ship for use as a torpedo/rocket support vessel.

In packs of 2 or more with support, they can be a threat against low- and mid-tech frigate (anything with relative weak shields) with Pilum spamming. You have to juggle defense against the incoming missiles and fire from the supporting units. I got my Lasher's butt handed to me against 2 Buffalo mk2's, a Lasher, a Hound, and I think a fighter wing or two. I normally rush the Buffalo's, but the current AI is better at fleet cohesion compared to 0.51a. Though it was partly my fault since my ship config wasn't meant for mass fighting. I think I was set up for quick strikes. I would normally rush the Buffalos and kill them immediately, but they stuck togethr, covering on another, while the support units chased and surrounded me. I lasted for a while, but go overloaded and ate several missiles.

But yeah. Haven't found a use on my side for the Buffalo mk2's other than for selling.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 10:02:48 PM »

In particular, if the Med. Missile mpount was forward facing, it would open up the ship for use as a torpedo/rocket support vessel.

???  It is forward facing. In fact it's the only forward facing missile mount.

I like putting an ir pulse instead of an amblaster. Never tried making a torp boat. Always wanted to...
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 11:05:19 PM »

In particular, if the Med. Missile mpount was forward facing, it would open up the ship for use as a torpedo/rocket support vessel.

???  It is forward facing. In fact it's the only forward facing missile mount.

I like putting an ir pulse instead of an amblaster. Never tried making a torp boat. Always wanted to...

It is? :-\ Uh, just goes to show how often I bother with that ship... I always keep thinking all its missile hardpoints are facing the sides only. I'm usually too busy pumping it full of rockets. ;) But yeah, now that you say that, the Mdm Mssl HrdPnt is the foward mount. Whoops. ::)

Zani

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 01:23:24 AM »

I don't like the Buffalo Mk2 at all, every time I use it, even if I set it to fire support out of the main fighting area, it still charges in and asplodes. It doesn't really seem worth the effort to equip and mantain considering there are alot better ships with larger missile capability.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 02:17:49 AM »

Love buffalo MK 2. So much fun to kill
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 04:09:58 AM »

Strip & Scrap for supplies, like all the other junk ships.
Pages: [1] 2 3