Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A medieval/fantasy "XCOM" game you don't know about  (Read 16262 times)

StianStark

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Music & Sound
    • View Profile
    • Stian Stark - Game Audio Forge
A medieval/fantasy "XCOM" game you don't know about
« on: May 10, 2012, 02:11:30 PM »

A friend and indie developer in the UK named Dan Lawrence is creating a very interesting game that, in my opinion, deserves a little more attention. It's called "Free Companies" (loosely referring to medieval mercenary groups in italy around 1400 or so) and it's a turn-based, squad-level strategy bombshell in the making. It's still in alpha but there's a blog you should check out and leave some feedback and help make F.C. better. In the game you control your own mercenary group in a big city, go on missions, get rewards, participate in wars, claim territory from rival groups et cetera. I really feel like this will be a very good game when it's ready, I hope someone agrees with me.

Here is the blog:

http://roboticshed.com/

Thoughts?
www.stianstark.com /// Twitter @stianstark

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
Re: A medieval/fantasy "XCOM" game you don't know about
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 01:20:08 PM »

Let's see what TB thinks eh?
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 01:38:55 PM »

Either he would slice the game in two or give it a lot of credit.
Either way i couldn't really give much about what he says, since he obviously overrates the one who pays *cough*most*cough*
I've stopped following him since he doesn't do much exiting content. *cough*

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 01:45:17 PM »

Either way i couldn't really give much about what he says, since he obviously overrates the one who pays *cough*most*cough*

I like TB because he has dyspraxia, and so do I.

*** YEAH

That, and he is British like Bakura and me.
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 01:54:09 PM »

I like TB because he has dyspraxia, and so do I.

Oh, you do?

.........................*Whistles while going slowly to the door marked with EXIT*

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 03:29:55 PM »

Running from an awkward situation are we Upgradecap?  ;D
TB's voice is so hot. I leave his mailboxes on in the background just for that.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 10:52:59 PM »

I agree with you, I think it looks ace.

I was thinking on the recent blog post why this game doesn't get a little more attention, because surely a Fantasy X-Com has the potential to be about the best possible game that could ever be?  :)

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 11:39:54 PM »

He'll either like it or he won't?
What evidence is there at all that any one pays TotalBiscuit? I've never heard of the like.
Well if you don't like video games I can see how you'd come to that conclusion.

Don't take me for a fan boy, he's not really my favourite guy in the world, but I question your statements.

The screenshots are very dark but the game looks interesting. I can put up with the visuals if it has fluid animations though, can't tell what they're like from the shots.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:41:33 PM by Austupaio »

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 12:46:51 AM »

The screenshots are very dark but the game looks interesting. I can put up with the visuals if it has fluid animations though, can't tell what they're like from the shots.

There is a 'tech demo' available, which might give you a pointer, but I couldn't seem to find a link to it.

Regardless, it is probably about a year old so won't be very representative of the current state of things, so might not be particularly helpful.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

StianStark

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Music & Sound
    • View Profile
    • Stian Stark - Game Audio Forge
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 07:57:57 AM »

I honestly don't know much about TB besides his enjoyable reviews, but my initial stance would be to not suspect him of accepting bribes or any other foul play. I also haven't seen a lot of purely positive or glowing reviews from him, he seems very down-to-earth and level-headed in his commentary.

Anyway, Dan the developer isn't getting a lot of feedback for his ideas and creations in Free Companies right now, if you like (or don't like) what you see you should definitely leave some comments on the blog! I think the screenshots are looking better and better and I see a lot of potential in the procedurally generated levels. A playable alpha might not be far off...
www.stianstark.com /// Twitter @stianstark

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 10:54:44 AM »

I honestly don't know much about TB besides his enjoyable reviews, but my initial stance would be to not suspect him of accepting bribes or any other foul play. I also haven't seen a lot of purely positive or glowing reviews from him, he seems very down-to-earth and level-headed in his commentary.

Anyway, Dan the developer isn't getting a lot of feedback for his ideas and creations in Free Companies right now, if you like (or don't like) what you see you should definitely leave some comments on the blog! I think the screenshots are looking better and better and I see a lot of potential in the procedurally generated levels. A playable alpha might not be far off...

MW2 got a 10/10.
TB said it was poor.
Who's getting bribed?

He's very harsh, but not nearly as harsh as Croshaw.

In other news, Razer gaming is a complete rip off
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

maffo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 09:24:05 AM »

Wow wowowow . Just because he went against the stream he is bribed? Thats really harsh, it takes nuts to go against the stream. Of course im not agreeing with him all the time. And his wtf is shows me a lot of new underappreciated games, like starfarer.

OT: The idea and the few screenshots look interesting. If it features crossbows to i'm 99% sold.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 10:12:50 AM »

Wow wowowow . Just because he went against the stream he is bribed? Thats really harsh, it takes nuts to go against the stream. Of course im not agreeing with him all the time. And his wtf is shows me a lot of new underappreciated games, like starfarer.

OT: The idea and the few screenshots look interesting. If it features crossbows to i'm 99% sold.

IIRC he called fans "Fanatics" (Which, BTW, is true, NOT IMPLYING THAT I AM ONE) and then said, in an later video that he's a fan of something else (can't remember what exactly). Who's against the stream? :)

maffo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 10:16:57 AM »

do i say he is against the stream the whole time upgrade? I think you are seeing ghosts. Also he is against fanboys/a overly protective behavior for games, not fans because you like a game.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 10:30:41 AM »

do i say he is against the stream the whole time upgrade? I think you are seeing ghosts. Also he is against fanboys/a overly protective behavior for games, not fans because you like a game.

You know, let's cut this here before it turns into a giant flame war like the last peaceful discussion :P

No really, let's cut it here.
Pages: [1] 2