Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

Which faction do you like the most?

The Sidus Dim
The CDF
The Ferrus
The independents
The infection
The farmers
The Tholian Directive

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 188

Author Topic: Project CAELUS ,the biggest project starsector will ever see. (Alpha 1)  (Read 803551 times)

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Project CAELUS ,the biggest project starfarer will ever see. (DEMO 3)
« Reply #1110 on: June 17, 2012, 08:54:45 AM »

I think we should have unique styles for each faction or at least try to.

Right, then we're going to head in that direction! I'll make a promise right now, that everything will be stiched together when DEMO 4 comes out.

(Also, would you guys like the ships Mr.Davidoff made in his dump as main ships for the independents? :D)

Unique styles are good, yes, as long as it's not too distant from the vanilla style.

I took a look at Davidoff's ships.  They all look quite the same.

And frankly, I'm fine with that.  It shows a very unified design philosophy and standardization, which is quite believable for any military faction.

... only problem being, these are for the independents, who are not a military faction.  So, perhaps they could become a faction of their own?  I do like the wedge aesthetic, and the look of the ships in general.  While seemingly derived from vanilla midline tech, they look distinct enough on their own.  The fighters look nice, too.

So, in short, yes.  In long, yes, but it doesn't fit the Independents.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: June 17, 2012, 09:50:33 AM »

The idea is that the independents are a militarized faction, which sadly doesn't have the economy to support it. They do have some heavy-hitters in their ranks, but sadly, that's only a few.

They are still focusing on being a some-what militarized faction, but that shows off in a much lesser fleet numbers. Their ships are sought after all oiver the galaxy, though, and therefor, their ships are sold everywhere, in small numbers, though. ;)

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: June 17, 2012, 10:06:56 AM »

The idea is that the independents are a militarized faction, which sadly doesn't have the economy to support it. They do have some heavy-hitters in their ranks, but sadly, that's only a few.

They are still focusing on being a some-what militarized faction, but that shows off in a much lesser fleet numbers. Their ships are sought after all oiver the galaxy, though, and therefor, their ships are sold everywhere, in small numbers, though. ;)
sorry , but the independeds aint an militairy faction, but the ship sprites can be used for the warhawk mercenaries.
the independeds are just a name for independed people. they are independed from eachother and some are militairy
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: June 17, 2012, 10:20:58 AM »

Well, we can't have them as a faction then, though. Just don't see what role they'd fit out of the all available...

:/

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: June 17, 2012, 12:32:22 PM »

Well, we can't have them as a faction then, though. Just don't see what role they'd fit out of the all available...

:/
well they aint a real faction like i said before, but they cant exist without a faction.
they just replace the independeds of the vanilla game but with there own orbital station.

Cypher

• Ensign
  • A spacemarine penguin. Because I can
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: June 17, 2012, 12:45:45 PM »

i'm sorry, but TheHappyFace, can't you just spell 'independant' properly

my grammar ocd brain is getting really ***

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: June 17, 2012, 12:52:31 PM »

well they aint a real faction like i said before, but they cant exist without a faction.

You just pulled a paradox on me, didn't you?

* CANNOT FIND LOGICAL ANSWER TO STATEMENT.  CORE MELT DOWN IN T-1 MINUTE.*

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: June 17, 2012, 01:23:58 PM »

Again, the ships look very unified and thus don't fit what a diverse array of varyingly militant powers would field.  Even if it was a Coalition of smaller planets/systems, they would likely have a schizophrenic, ragtag group of low tech ships and re-purposed barges.

At least, that's my take on it.  Vanilla Independents use midlines because they're readily available ships from ages past.  Davidoff's ships look like they belong to a single, insular, professional military power.

And I really like that.  Maybe we can find another person/group to make CAELUS' independent ships?

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: June 17, 2012, 01:29:47 PM »

Well, the warhawks ships are independent of making, we're reconsidering using them for their true purpose, but we're just thinking about ir yet, nothing concrete though.

Also, say hai to our newest member (lead coder):  DarkerThanBlack

He's going to be our help in need for the heavy stuff! :D
Now I myself cannot wait for DEMO 4, even though I'm a Dev for it! Huzzzah! :D

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: June 17, 2012, 01:31:50 PM »

i'm sorry, but TheHappyFace, can't you just spell 'independant' properly

my grammar ocd brain is getting really ***

ow i typed independed every single time ^ ^.
sorry , i am not english.
google sais it's independent, so not independant like you said and not independed like i said :)

You just pulled a paradox on me, didn't you?

* CANNOT FIND LOGICAL ANSWER TO STATEMENT.  CORE MELT DOWN IN T-1 MINUTE.*

What i ment (or mend  dont really know if it is with t or d) to say is that:
the independENTS are not a faction lore wise, but they are game wise.
as far as i know every single fleet should belong to a faction.
the independENTS is the name for all independent fleets.
all independents use ships from the independent engineers that have there home at the independent station,
cause they dont want to take sides and support a faction by buying there ships they.
the independents are just like the independents currently in the vanilla game.
they ain't a faction but they do support each other. for example if one is attacked all turn hostile towards the attacker.
so game wise they are a faction with there own station etc. just like all other factions, BUT lore wise they are not bound.

edit:
Again, the ships look very unified and thus don't fit what a diverse array of varyingly militant powers would field.  Even if it was a Coalition of smaller planets/systems, they would likely have a schizophrenic, ragtag group of low tech ships and re-purposed barges.

At least, that's my take on it.  Vanilla Independents use midlines because they're readily available ships from ages past.  Davidoff's ships look like they belong to a single, insular, professional military power.

And I really like that.  Maybe we can find another person/group to make CAELUS' independent ships?
the independent ships at this point are mid-line and readily available to all factions,
but factions prefer there own more specialized ships.
the independent ships are more universal which makes them more expensive, but better for smaller independent fleets.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 01:34:23 PM by TheHappyFace »

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: June 17, 2012, 01:33:36 PM »

So, LORE wise they ar not a faction, but GAME wiew, they are?

That's an even heavier paradox.

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: June 17, 2012, 01:35:31 PM »

That's an even heavier paradox.

okay, how can i explain that to you.
lets just say that they ARE a faction to make it easier for you  :D
ow by game wise i mean coding etc.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 01:38:43 PM by TheHappyFace »

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: June 17, 2012, 01:39:19 PM »

They aren't a unified faction in the normal sense that they all fight for the same cause/sovereign power/whatever, they just have a common drinking hole and desire for independence, although they have a family-like mentality that almost obligates them to wreak vengeful justice on those who harm their own.

I think that's what it is. A faction in game terms only, because richness of diversity can't be done at the moment in a coherent way

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: June 17, 2012, 01:41:42 PM »

They aren't a unified faction in the normal sense that they all fight for the same cause/sovereign power/whatever, they just have a common drinking hole and desire for independence, although they have a family-like mentality that almost obligates them to wreak vengeful justice on those who harm their own.

I think that's what it is. A faction in game terms only, because richness of diversity can't be done at the moment in a coherent way

thank you , i got nothing to add to that.
well maybe only that there common drinking hole sells high explosive missles besides good beer.

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: June 17, 2012, 01:47:56 PM »

Again, the ships look very unified and thus don't fit what a diverse array of varyingly militant powers would field.  Even if it was a Coalition of smaller planets/systems, they would likely have a schizophrenic, ragtag group of low tech ships and re-purposed barges.

At least, that's my take on it.  Vanilla Independents use midlines because they're readily available ships from ages past.  Davidoff's ships look like they belong to a single, insular, professional military power.

And I really like that.  Maybe we can find another person/group to make CAELUS' independent ships?
ehm i dont really get the last line in your post or you don't know what i know.
the independent allready have sprites of there own.
i made them to be precise
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 188