Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

Which faction do you like the most?

The Sidus Dim
The CDF
The Ferrus
The independents
The infection
The farmers
The Tholian Directive

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 188

Author Topic: Project CAELUS ,the biggest project starsector will ever see. (Alpha 1)  (Read 803609 times)

Unwoundpath

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Project CAELUS ,the biggest project starfarer will ever see. (DEMO 2)
« Reply #735 on: May 29, 2012, 12:53:43 PM »

Hey, I'm willing to learn the code of the weapon, just have the weapon person already on the team teach me, (in IRC, maybe, or send me guides) and I will be happy to help with this.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: May 29, 2012, 12:55:47 PM »

Hey, I'm willing to learn the code of the weapon, just have the weapon person already on the team teach me, (in IRC, maybe, or send me guides) and I will be happy to help with this.

Well, i know that the way the weapon is coded in a basic form of java, And can be edited with notepad+. If you look at a weapon already in the game that acts kinda like the weapon you want to make, you can effectively learn from there
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 04:19:31 AM by sproginator »
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: May 29, 2012, 04:16:13 PM »

Just a note for this mod, unwound, there's going to be a few odd weapons here and there.  The Odin GML (guided munitions launcher) has a missile for a projectile but shoots like a cannon.  The next weapon I think might suit you, I can hand over.  Unless you want to tackle the Rail Driver now. ;D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: May 29, 2012, 04:18:33 PM »

Speaking of which, Upgrade, d'you want me to be an "official" weapons spriter for the mod, as opposed to "That guy who chucks out random weapons" :P
Just for clarification and all that jazz ;)

Shoat

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: May 29, 2012, 05:53:21 PM »

The Odin GML (guided munitions launcher) has a missile for a projectile but shoots like a cannon.

That brings up an idea: Is it possible to create a missile weapon that will release Frag or Cluster Bombs upon detonation?
As of right now, even the quicker frigates are too slow and too valuable to have them charging into someone to release bombs, so there's really no point to ever use that weapon on anything but a fighter squad.
Having the bombs in medium/large missiles would make them more useable.

It's something I haven't seen in any other mod, and all the crazy weapon makers seem to be assembled here anyway, so I thought I could bring it up.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: May 29, 2012, 05:58:08 PM »

The Odin GML (guided munitions launcher) has a missile for a projectile but shoots like a cannon.

That brings up an idea: Is it possible to create a missile weapon that will release Frag or Cluster Bombs upon detonation?
As of right now, even the quicker frigates are too slow and too valuable to have them charging into someone to release bombs, so there's really no point to ever use that weapon on anything but a fighter squad.

It's something I haven't seen in any other mod, and all the crazy weapon makers seem to be assembled here anyway, so I thought I could bring it up.

So like a volley of unguided bombs contained within a long range missile?
- Albert Einstein

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: May 29, 2012, 06:02:27 PM »

In fact, yes.  Using the MIRV design, it's possible.
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: May 29, 2012, 06:04:06 PM »

In fact, yes.  Using the MIRV design, it's possible.
I too would like to see that, slaves! Get to work, bwahahahaha
- Albert Einstein

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: May 29, 2012, 06:16:27 PM »

All-righty Unwound, it's your time to shine.  I'll give you your first assignment, make the Rail Driver!  I've got to make that frag-bomb MIRV, which is a bit complicated for green crew, but the Rail Driver should be relatively easy.  Break a leg! ;D

Cidewalk

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: May 29, 2012, 08:51:11 PM »

I enjoyed the fights and am excited to see more!

Can people who aren't involved in the project make bug reports?

If any of these are deliberate (or already reported,) feel free to ignore them. Though, if they've been reported, you might want to make a "known bugs" list on the first post.

Buggies:

1) As far as I could tell, every time the Mark IV Hypercannon was mounted on a ship, it was on a medium ballistic mount, but is a large ballistic weapon.

2) On the Devestator class battleships, the Frontline variant (the default,) has 20 unspent ordinance points.

3) On several ships, the weapon mounts do not line up across the axis. Such as the Aurelis destroyers and the Auriga cruiser.

On the Aurelis (as linked,) comparing to the grid makes it obvious that almost all the mounts are misaligned (the heavy burst cannons, for example, are not positioned evenly across the axis.) Unless that's on purpose, or perhaps they're temporary weapon locations for early use. I didn't find it caused any trouble in battle, but I wasn't commanding that ship type.

4) I saw several oddities in the descriptions, sometimes in the wording, sometimes in the spacing. In a few places, the descriptions ran too long and were cut off (or were incomplete, I couldn't tell.)  The Mark IV Hypercannon, for example, was either incomplete, or cut off by spacing.

Also, for the mission "Convoy Raid," part of the description overlapped the boxes (as pictured.)

As for the wording, (and I realize this is my first post, so feel free to write me off as a random newb who you'll never see again,) I'm an author and a freelance copy editor and would gladly proofread anything you want to put into the game. I don't mean to say the people you have working on it are unskilled, but more sets of eyes catch more errors.

5) Finally! The custom music was sometimes too loud or too quiet. The song with the vinyl-style pops and hisses (I can't tell which file, but it's the one that always plays first when I start the game with the mod loaded,) feels like it has many many of the pops and hisses, or perhaps they are quite loud. I enjoy the effect, but it seemed overwhelming.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: May 29, 2012, 10:37:14 PM »

Thanks for those reports!

1)  I am aware that the Mark IV Hypercannon is illegally mounted. But this is actully as-intended, to prevent the player, whenever he gets hold one of these ships he shouldn't be able to mount the same weapons ;)

2). That is also a bug I am aware of, since I had as an security measure to prevent OP going below the cost, but i never remembered to fix it.

3). Also a bug that has been reported earlier. I am in the process of fixing it.

4) The descriptions will be fixed on a later point, since they do nor take a high priority as of now.

5) The vinyl-style pops and hisses are a part of the song, which is unfortunately nothing I can fix. The volume will have to be fixed.   :)
Speaking of which, Upgrade, d'you want me to be an "official" weapons spriter for the mod, as opposed to "That guy who chucks out random weapons" :P
Just for clarification and all that jazz ;)

I'll put you in team one, since team 2 already got several spriters :)

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: May 30, 2012, 12:06:57 AM »

I'll put you in team one, since team 2 already got several spriters :)

ow can i be officially added to a team :P.
probaply in team 2 since i am helping maffo with ship sprites.
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

maffo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: May 30, 2012, 01:51:26 AM »

hmm i think we need a status update here upgrade, because i have no idea what is finished, what should be our priority etc. Could you make that?

TheMessiah

• Captain
  • Captain of the Sidus Dim
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: May 30, 2012, 05:29:44 AM »

Yeah, this feels a little bit disorganized. Maybe make a thread like this one: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=2806.0 but for ships and weapons?

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: May 30, 2012, 06:24:10 AM »

I hope you all dont mind i organized the ship sprite folder in dropbox a bit.
while i was adding my ships.

i am making a space monster sprite. does any1 had a good idea for this?
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 188