Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

Which faction do you like the most?

The Sidus Dim
The CDF
The Ferrus
The independents
The infection
The farmers
The Tholian Directive

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 188

Author Topic: Project CAELUS ,the biggest project starsector will ever see. (Alpha 1)  (Read 803688 times)

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
Re: Project CAELUS ,the biggest project starfarer will ever see.
« Reply #180 on: May 12, 2012, 03:46:59 PM »

I really don't know why, but this SCP (there's a thread for it in the discussions section) inspired me in some weird way.  http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-076
I got inspired to do something like SCP-076-2.  Would something like that suit this mod?  (I mean shi-wise, ofcourse :D)
I don't see how SCP-076-2 is significant to Starfarer, its not really starship in scale or mood. You could make a race like this but you can make races out of anything, its really up to what you like.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 12, 2012, 03:52:12 PM »

I really don't know why, but this SCP (there's a thread for it in the discussions section) inspired me in some weird way.  http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-076
I got inspired to do something like SCP-076-2.  Would something like that suit this mod?  (I mean shi-wise, ofcourse :D)
I don't see how SCP-076-2 is significant to Starfarer, its not really starship in scale or mood. You could make a race like this but you can make races out of anything, its really up to what you like.

Was just fiddling around with the idea of having one supership that roamed alone in the sector and was hostile against everything else.  Also could be part of a mission, where you'd pilot a security fleet vs the supership.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 12, 2012, 04:00:52 PM »

Was just fiddling around with the idea of having one supership that roamed alone in the sector and was hostile against everything else.  Also could be part of a mission, where you'd pilot a security fleet vs the supership.
NOW that sounds good! ;D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 12, 2012, 04:18:28 PM »

Will here be Ponies ships? It could be, right?
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 12, 2012, 04:23:52 PM »

The day the ponies enter this mod is the day starfarer gets canceled.

Which means never :)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 12, 2012, 04:24:17 PM »

-_-
>_>
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 12, 2012, 04:48:40 PM »

Good idea, but you'll have to do some testing if random combat results in it ever losing since this is a undesirable result, you want to leave it to the player.

You'll also have to see what the result will be from the ship winning and perhaps acquiring other ships in its fleet, which is probably also undesirable? Maybe they can't board if it doesn't carry marines but that does not solve ships that simply surrender.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 12, 2012, 05:08:12 PM »

A few questions.

Has there bin any consideration on ship design and how it affects game balance?

I mean you can shuffle around numbers all you like but sometimes its the layout or number of weapon turrets of a ship that's the problem. Have guidelines bin set or are you just accepting anything that you get?

What about considerations of graphic consistency? The mod will look better if all ships conform to the same style, for example only allow bashing of vanilla sprites.

Have you considered how 600+ ships will be affecting the codex? Do you think you can actually find anything anymore? I've bin thinking of perhaps having a extra sorting method by naming the ships with prefixes associated with their faction in the game, this allows the game's alphabetic sorting to sort them by faction, but that might actual complicate matters even more because that would prevent you from just searching by name. Then again it might not be that bad since its name will include the prefix in the first place.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 12, 2012, 06:16:37 PM »

Hmmm...wow, I never thought of either of those.  those *might* be a problem... ::)

robokill

• Captain
  • Hey, over there stop looking at my guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 12, 2012, 07:11:49 PM »

I'm working on some ship designs more along balance look and feel not the best spriter I'm also great at lore. I don't think I can do it alone but I would like to work with you guys. Short v, I have mod idea devolved well can I join do to lack of expirience

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 12, 2012, 07:13:27 PM »

I'm working on some ship designs more along balance look and feel not the best spriter I'm also great at lore. I don't think I can do it alone but I would like to work with you guys. Short v, I have mod idea devolved well can I join do to lack of expirience

sure, send your sprites to medikohl and see if he would give you some pointers

maffo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 13, 2012, 04:16:42 AM »

@vandala

Good points, i would like to say that for the first point, Medikohls simple guide lines be followed:

1. not everything needs missiles
2. 360 degree turrets should be a rare feature
3. you need weak ships, normal ships, as well as difficult ships, otherwise it just becomes an exercise in futility.
4. not everything needs it's own faction, once you get too many factions and their fleets all spawning normally, the game slows down on weaker PCs
    build up existing factions, add new ship designs to the randomly spawning fleets.

Good one to,but until now looking at the submissions i haven't really seen the problem rising yet, but i think everything should be fitting, or made from vanilla. For example the coloring of the independent ships are the same coloring's as the eagle/ falcon etc.

I don't really think this is a problem because you can sort fairly good in the codex, and the alphabetic sorting of the rest will keep it usable.

I would however like to adress a different matter, the submission of ships. I would like added that all ships posted as submissions(from now on) may only be used for this mod only unless said otherwise.This is to prevent ship duplication's . Or am i to harsh now?

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 13, 2012, 04:42:55 AM »

@Maffo. I think It's resonable to suggest that all submissions should only be used for this project.  I mean, they are, after all, submissions to our project.

Shazar02

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 13, 2012, 05:03:01 AM »

Anybody need a lore writer for anything yet? >:/
GAWDAM, MISSILES EVERYWHERE

maffo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 13, 2012, 05:10:35 AM »

@upgradecap well we need to define it clearly so everyone knows it, could you put those guide lines and submission-to-this-project-only rule on the submission thread please?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 188