Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Flux Bomb  (Read 6902 times)

Master Jedi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Flux Bomb
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 10:40:38 PM »

If you really wanted something for a "Last Stand" mechanic, I would suggest something a little more high risk high reward. Something like:

Core Overload: Your flagship's core goes critical. For three seconds, you gain 50% speed and maneuverability, and has a limitless flux capacity. After those three seconds, your ship explodes, dealing no additional damage to nearby ships.

I still don't like "Last Stand" options, but if one had to be added in, it shouldn't be something that you would do every fight.

What if, instead of blowing up, you ejected the core. It would then blow up and damage any ship in range (including friendly ships). Your ship would be crippled, but due to backup power you have life support and minimal engine power. If you managed to escape the bast of the core and retreat you might be able to keep the ship, but it would require repairs at a station to fix.

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 11:56:45 PM »

Honestly, I'd like it on some ships. Just a few.

Then it's not a 'Oh, I'm always *** if a ship's flux goes up' it's an 'I have to be careful with this one type of ship, as it presents a unique challenge'.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 03:41:31 AM »

If you really wanted something for a "Last Stand" mechanic, I would suggest something a little more high risk high reward. Something like:

Core Overload: Your flagship's core goes critical. For three seconds, you gain 50% speed and maneuverability, and has a limitless flux capacity. After those three seconds, your ship explodes, dealing no additional damage to nearby ships.

I still don't like "Last Stand" options, but if one had to be added in, it shouldn't be something that you would do every fight.

What if, instead of blowing up, you ejected the core. It would then blow up and damage any ship in range (including friendly ships). Your ship would be crippled, but due to backup power you have life support and minimal engine power. If you managed to escape the bast of the core and retreat you might be able to keep the ship, but it would require repairs at a station to fix.

Love it
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 03:59:19 AM »

If you want some sort of flux-based weapon, I think the following:

• The weapon has a charge time before firing (graphically visible charging as well as an indicative of imminent use.)
  • While charging, the flux on your ship is brought to full or near-full. (It is a flux-based weapon, after all.) Perhap ship speed is reduced as well.
  • Once charge is complete and it fires, it overloads your ship (like a standard flux overload), but the actual flux on your ship is fully drained. As a penalty for using it, though, your time in overload is maxed. I do believe the amount of time you spend in an overloaded state is based on how far over your ship's flux cap the enemy forced you past.

While the weapon could be quite powerful, the above gives the opposing side some countermeasures against it:

• Charge time - Time to evade/clear the area or target the vessel for immediate attack and destruction. The visual cue (maybe audio as well) will act as a warning.
  • Flux load - If the opponent is gutsy, can try to overload the charging ship to prevent fire (assuming the shields are up. This combined with the above forces a choice on the weapon user to actively defend with the shield, risking an overload, or eating the gunfire, possibly being destroyed outright.)
  • Overload state - If you screw up and don't kill what you needed/wanted to, they can counter attack. (This would conuteract the full venting of flux effect.)

Lastly, you can add a few other criteria for it's use, like being above/below a certain flux percentage, ship damage state, single use per battle ("The weapon burns out its core after use, necessitating replacement each time"), etc. I can also imagine it damaging the ship as well, so if you use it at full health, you just helped cripple your ship. If it fires while your ship is below a given threshold, it essential becomes a self-destruct device. (Perhaps at what threshold also determines is you ship is obliterated/destroyed outright, or simply disabled; salvage chances for the latter state would be lowers as a consequence though.) All the above conditions during use I outline helps prevent it from becoming a suicide bombing weapon.

Well, just my thoughts on the topic. *shrug* I'll leave the weapon effects for another time (range, any AoE, damage, blast radius, shot speed, shot coverage, shot type, etc.)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 04:01:09 AM by StahnAileron »

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 07:37:16 AM »

If you want some sort of flux-based weapon, I think the following:

• The weapon has a charge time before firing (graphically visible charging as well as an indicative of imminent use.)
  • While charging, the flux on your ship is brought to full or near-full. (It is a flux-based weapon, after all.) Perhap ship speed is reduced as well.
  • Once charge is complete and it fires, it overloads your ship (like a standard flux overload), but the actual flux on your ship is fully drained. As a penalty for using it, though, your time in overload is maxed. I do believe the amount of time you spend in an overloaded state is based on how far over your ship's flux cap the enemy forced you past.

While the weapon could be quite powerful, the above gives the opposing side some countermeasures against it:

• Charge time - Time to evade/clear the area or target the vessel for immediate attack and destruction. The visual cue (maybe audio as well) will act as a warning.
  • Flux load - If the opponent is gutsy, can try to overload the charging ship to prevent fire (assuming the shields are up. This combined with the above forces a choice on the weapon user to actively defend with the shield, risking an overload, or eating the gunfire, possibly being destroyed outright.)
  • Overload state - If you screw up and don't kill what you needed/wanted to, they can counter attack. (This would conuteract the full venting of flux effect.)

Lastly, you can add a few other criteria for it's use, like being above/below a certain flux percentage, ship damage state, single use per battle ("The weapon burns out its core after use, necessitating replacement each time"), etc. I can also imagine it damaging the ship as well, so if you use it at full health, you just helped cripple your ship. If it fires while your ship is below a given threshold, it essential becomes a self-destruct device. (Perhaps at what threshold also determines is you ship is obliterated/destroyed outright, or simply disabled; salvage chances for the latter state would be lowers as a consequence though.) All the above conditions during use I outline helps prevent it from becoming a suicide bombing weapon.

Well, just my thoughts on the topic. *shrug* I'll leave the weapon effects for another time (range, any AoE, damage, blast radius, shot speed, shot coverage, shot type, etc.)

Sounds awesome :D, now someone make it : D
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)
Pages: 1 [2]