Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Little request: Accidents  (Read 12787 times)

VikingHaag

• Commander
    • View Profile
Little request: Accidents
« on: May 08, 2012, 05:15:13 PM »

Is anyone able to tell me how to mod the game so i can have massive fleets without suffering an accident every other minute?
Or how to disable accidents altogheter?

I'm frankly *** off by the inability to have a fleet larger than 100 fp when the Ai floats around with fleets easily worth 300 or more.
Any help is appreciated.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
Re: Little request: Accidents
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 05:18:16 PM »

Accidents are not moddable.

Here is some help for you though http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=2303.0.

VikingHaag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 05:20:16 PM »

Accidents are not moddable.

Here is some help for you though http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=2303.0.

Guess i'm done with this game then, not fun anymore

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 05:24:18 PM »

...Ok..

<.<

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 05:26:35 PM »

Or you can edit all your ships to cost only 1 fleet point, increase their supply capacity and presto, no more accidents.

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 05:29:54 PM »

Um, does he mean 200? And I'm sorry you feel as though the game has become unfun.  :'(

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 05:36:22 PM »

Is anyone able to tell me how to mod the game so i can have massive fleets without suffering an accident every other minute?
Or how to disable accidents altogheter?

I'm frankly *** off by the inability to have a fleet larger than 100 fp when the Ai floats around with fleets easily worth 300 or more.
Any help is appreciated.

um,
the largest fleet the AI can field is 200 points, and that 1 fleet is the hegemony defense fleet around corvus, everything else is sub 100.

VikingHaag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 05:36:44 PM »

um,
the largest fleet the AI can field is 200 points, and that 1 fleet is the hegemony defense fleet around corvus, everything else is sub 100.

Guess you don't use mods. Neither do you like having massive fleets.

Or you can edit all your ships to cost only 1 fleet point, increase their supply capacity and presto, no more accidents.

1 fleet point each? Nope.
I don't quite feel like having 200 ships on screen as soon as the battle starts. It would melt my pc and break the game even worse.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 05:38:47 PM by VikingHaag »

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 05:41:04 PM »

This does bring up a good point--accidents, while a nice addition to the game, are very intrusive in their current form.  One piece of cargo can make the difference between a "none" and "high" risk factor and even at low risk you're 100% likely to have an accident in the next five seconds of travel.  The punishments are extreme to boot; there aren't any small accidents where a few pieces of cargo are lost, rather it seems your whole inventory dumps into space every time.

I hope more work will be put into the concept to make it a compelling game mechanic instead of an annoyance.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 05:41:44 PM »

Maybe players are not supposed to be able to kill every possible fleet in the game?

It's just alpha, also. It's too early to say "I'm done" imho.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 05:42:30 PM »

um,

Guess you don't use mods. Neither do you like having massive fleets.

That's very presumptuous of you. I believe most mods have (or at least should, for the sake of balance) follow vanilla limits for fleet sizes. Accidents are there to prevent one from amassing a massive unstoppable armada of fun-leeching easiness. In that regard, I think it has worked, in prompting the player to actually think about what to compose their fleet from

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 05:46:54 PM »

I've only ever had a single accident in all the time I've played it nor have I had problems with having too little room for loot and supply even while having a fighter heavy fleet. (unmodded of course) I have no problem with it at all.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 05:50:57 PM »

FYI: command point limits will most likely be moddable around the time character skills roll around, to give mods more flexibility. But yeah, a mod that's intended to be used with vanilla and simply increases the fleet point limit is likely going to break the balance.

... and even at low risk you're 100% likely to have an accident in the next five seconds of travel.

Not quite true - could easily take a few days, even at the "critical risk" level. But yeah, it doesn't take too long - if it did, that would encourage being over the "safe" limit (i.e. >50%) as a matter of course, which just leads to annoyance when you finally get unlucky. Basically, treat 50% over as a hard cap :)

The punishments are extreme to boot; there aren't any small accidents where a few pieces of cargo are lost, rather it seems your whole inventory dumps into space every time.

That's when it gets beyond the point where expending supplies to maintain improvised capacity can cut it anymore, so a severe penalty seems reasonable - it's basically a hard cap then. One that allows you to make an emergency dash to a station, though.

On the other hand, if you run out of supplies for improvised capacity, but are over by less than 50%, then you run the risk of minor accidents - which are precisely what you're asking for - small accidents with low amounts of stuff lost, and no ship damage.

To be honest, I'm happy with how it works now. Actual severe accidents aren't something you should be seeing on a regular basis.

VikingHaag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 05:54:55 PM »

This does bring up a good point--accidents, while a nice addition to the game, are very intrusive in their current form.  One piece of cargo can make the difference between a "none" and "high" risk factor and even at low risk you're 100% likely to have an accident in the next five seconds of travel.  The punishments are extreme to boot; there aren't any small accidents where a few pieces of cargo are lost, rather it seems your whole inventory dumps into space every time.

I hope more work will be put into the concept to make it a compelling game mechanic instead of an annoyance.

^This. "Minor" accident: Lost 3 plasma cannons, 200 supplies, 100 fuel, a crapload of minor weapons and 30 crew, including 5 elites.
"Minor" my arse.

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 05:56:08 PM »

VikingHaag, I have trouble understanding your immoderate reaction to the advice you've been given.

Like you, I am a fan of big, BIG fleet battles. I'm also a major enthusiast of craftomega's excellently-integrated Minimash compilation, and the combat-heavy state which is the norm for that mod. I thought that Accidents would have me considering leaving the game, but there are practical alternatives to such hasty action.....

For now, I've taken the simple expedient of reducing all Fleet Point costs for ships and fighter wings by a factor of 100. You can set up the reduction factor to any extent that you please in order to support your preferred style of play. I'm quite pleased with how moddable that is, and how it allows me to sidestep the entire Accidents dynamic as much OR as little as I like. Until moddable fleet-command character skills are implemented, this is the next best mechanism for achieving the gameplay you prefer.

And once I edited my various faction set-up files in order to provide stronger opposition to me from Hegemony fleets and all the other factions (which was not hard to mod in), the solution was complete.

These methods take some time to put into place, but they are easy to handle; just tedious. I'm frankly surprised that you didn't explore this option sooner -- if you can't raise the Fleet Points limit for Accidents, then just make each Fleet Point give you more hardware to play with. 8) Please do give it a try before rage-quitting this game. ;)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 01:18:41 AM by Archduke Astro »
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....
Pages: [1] 2 3