Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: My Ship Sprite (wip)  (Read 4194 times)

mrsnuggles

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
My Ship Sprite (wip)
« on: May 08, 2012, 07:28:14 AM »

Its a start Im not sure if i like the engines well at least the main one
also i was thinking of making it purple :)

I was thinking either leave it normal sized posibily even shrink it & make it a destroyer
or enlarge it & make it a capital

for the captial version i was thinking 1 large balistic hard point, 2 large hard point missile then either 4 energy energy turrents & 2 medium missile hard points  w/6 small turrets 2 energy 4 balistic or 12-18 small w/ a mixture of energy & balistic

2 flight decks with a hanger capicity of 40 to 60 togeather

215 degree shield with an average rating
 with a averge to below average armor rating
& a fairly large cargo space

for the destroyer sized i was thinking 3 medium missile w/ 6-12 small balistic, energy mix
2 flight decks that hold up to 15 a peice
180 degree shield with an average rating
&  decent rated armor
With a larger cargo space (for its class)

these are my ideas but im open to opinion

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: My Ship Sprite (wip)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 07:48:58 AM »

for the destroyer sized i was thinking 3 medium missile w/ 6-12 small balistic, energy mix
2 flight decks that hold up to 15 a peice
180 degree shield with an average rating
&  decent rated armor
With a larger cargo space (for its class)

Whoa, with those stats it's problably more fitting as a cruiser than a destroyer.

Silus44

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 08:32:53 AM »

My thoughts:
1) Purple is an under-utilized color; go for it!  You could even go with a dark purple color with gold highlights for the royal look.

2) The stats on the destroyer feature too many things (for its size class):  2 flight decks are powerful by themselves, but the ship also has a huge range of point defense and the three medium missile slots. To me, those look like the fire support stats of a full fire support cruiser with the flight decks in addition to that.  This isn't bad by itself, but it is very overpowered compared to vanilla starfarer.
Here are some stats for a mixed carrier /support destroyer:  1 Flight Deck, 3 Small Turrets, 1 Medium Missile, 10 Hangar space. 
From what I have seen with carrier ships, flight decks are rated pretty high for value and space used in the ship design.  Their effect in game is pretty powerful as well, and should be balanced against the size class and other abilities of the ship.

mrsnuggles

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 09:14:31 AM »

1) Purple is an under-utilized color; go for it!  You could even go with a dark purple color with gold highlights for the royal look.

2) The stats on the destroyer feature too many things (for its size class):  2 flight decks are powerful by themselves, but the ship also has a huge range of point defense and the three medium missile slots. To me, those look like the fire support stats of a full fire support cruiser with the flight decks in addition to that.  This isn't bad by itself, but it is very overpowered compared to vanilla starfarer.
Here are some stats for a mixed carrier /support destroyer:  1 Flight Deck, 3 Small Turrets, 1 Medium Missile, 10 Hangar space. 
From what I have seen with carrier ships, flight decks are rated pretty high for value and space used in the ship design.  Their effect in game is pretty powerful as well, and should be balanced against the size class and other abilities of the ship.

after read you post i decided to go with what Jonlissla said & make it a cruiser w/ 1 larger 2 medium & 6 small w/ 1 flight deck altho im keeping both flight decks on the sprite  it still seems a little 2 powerful tho so it will have to take some hits to its stats

i really need some ideas on that engine its uuuuugly

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 09:42:37 AM »

Maybe make the engine wider?

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 11:21:08 AM »

Maybe make the engine wider?
or add secondary ones
"Captain! You can't call our greatest dreadnought 'The Parrot'"
"Watch me"
Spiral Arms: Ship Sprites for Everyone

Silus44

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 11:28:36 AM »

I would make the engine a little darker at the center, or wider.  It looks like it is pointing straight up at the viewer right now, so maybe a little bit of a shape-change could benefit it.

Here are a couple of other engine designs I threw together for other ideas on changing the engine's look.  The first slightly changes the current engine, and the second is a different style using similar colors. Hopefully one of them is of use to you.

I think with a little texture and shading, this ship will end up looking really nice, but you're right that something needs to change about the engine.

[attachment deleted by admin]