Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Why the Aurora nerf?  (Read 16757 times)

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
Re: Why the Aurora nerf?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 04:28:21 PM »

There's no "better" ship. Don't talk absolute.

I take my custom Conquest over any Paragon any day.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 04:34:57 PM »

Half damage is the default setting, and I seriously doubt it is a placeholder for anything at all. You can't balance something like a 50% damage reduction. A ship with it will always destroy anything comparable, period. I will be incredibly surprised if officer abilities increases the effectiveness your ship alone by anything approaching 50%. No hard feeling intended, but you really are playing the game 'easy mode'.

Character not Officer. Doubt all you want, I'll take Alex word over yours.

The Apogee has 0.6 shields and is the best utility cruiser aswell. I just don't see what the Aurora does anymore, that the Apogee doesn't. It's not much of a problem, I guess I'll just fly an Apogee and be just as tough with way better cargo/hangars/crew. :P

The Apogee has 'weird' weapon placement, leaving it somewhat incapable of a strike ship, the Aurora has really good weapon placement plus a great missile bank on it's front. They have different roles.

Kommodore Krieg

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 04:37:57 PM »

The Apogee can't fight nearly as well as the Aurora even post nerf.  I'll take a nerfed Aurora over an Apogee for pure combat any day.  The Apogee has weird weapon placements and most of it's good weaponry is hard pointed.  The Aurora just flies circles around you and pounds you non stop with at least 2 heavy blasters.  If it comes at your from the front you are probably going to die or take obscene damage because 9 sabots followed by a mivr and a heavy blaster barrage means your either going to overload instantly and then be destroyed or take massive hull damage and hope you can get shields up after the sabots deluge has passed.  The Apogee on the other hand comes at you with one Large hardpoint and two oddly placed med energy turrets.  

Even lore wise it makes sense, the Apogee is designed for exploration not combat, and is packed with technology, hence the emphasis on defense over offense and the effective shielding.  The Aurora's emphasis is on attack, and that's why it has firepower and speed in droves.  Even then it still has excellent shields supported by a huge flux capacity and dissipation.  Now you actually have to maneuver some instead of parking in front of an Onslaught and blasting.  

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 05:05:56 PM »

I don't see a problem. The Aurora was VERY powerful for its class, and remains so. It's just less ridiculous. And it's a hell of a lot better combat ship than the awkward Apogee.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 05:10:12 PM »

Half damage is the default setting, and I seriously doubt it is a placeholder for anything at all. You can't balance something like a 50% damage reduction. A ship with it will always destroy anything comparable, period. I will be incredibly surprised if officer abilities increases the effectiveness your ship alone by anything approaching 50%. No hard feeling intended, but you really are playing the game 'easy mode'.

Just to clear that up - the 50% damage setting is there to make the learning curve a bit easier for new players - or to simply make it a slightly more relaxing game to play, if that's what one prefers. But in terms of balance and such, it's being built around 100% damage to player ships.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 05:12:20 PM »

Just to clear that up - the 50% damage setting is there to make the learning curve a bit easier for new players - or to simply make it a slightly more relaxing game to play, if that's what one prefers. But in terms of balance and such, it's being built around 100% damage to player ships.
I could have sworn you said it may be incorporated as a character ability. Hmm... Time to dig throe your post history.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 05:13:37 PM »

Vandala he just called you noob! OWND!

jk :)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 05:17:01 PM »

True.

The Conquest is the perfect flagship; low Fleet Point cost, good cargo & fighter capacity, relatively fast, and has great weapon mounts for kiting.
As part of a fleet it's unmatchable in the close support role.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 05:17:09 PM »

Vandala he just called you noob! OWND!

jk :)
Nope, just a correction, which I'm always happy with.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 05:22:38 PM »

True.

The Conquest is the perfect flagship; low Fleet Point cost, good cargo & fighter capacity, relatively fast, and has great weapon mounts for kiting.
As part of a fleet it's unmatchable in the close support role.

Yeah and you can do pretty weird things with it. My current variant has 2 pd lasers on one side (not even the med energy used on that side) and a full broadside on the other. 1v1 on autopilot it disintegrate the standard conquest in like 10 seconds, using full broadside fire and superbuffed shields. I think there's a bug though as I tried mounting at least a heavy burst laser on the unguarded side and that seemed to bug the broadside calculations, since it starts facing the completely wrong way, using the broadside with just that single weapon).

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2012, 09:35:57 PM »

Oh come on.  It was widely accepted for the longest time that the Aurora was ridiculous.

This entire topic is pretty much complaining that an almost insta-win ship has been turned into a still above-average ship.  The Aurora was outgunning Capital Ships due to it's shields.  The Aurora is a freaking cruiser.  This shouldn't have been happening.

IMO, this balancing was long overdue and the tears of everyone used to cruising around in an easy-mode ship are sweet.

You know, if you're THAT unhappy with it, you could always mod it back to the way it was.  No one is FORCING you to play legit.

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 07:20:10 AM »

This entire topic is pretty much complaining that an almost insta-win ship has been turned into a still above-average ship.  The Aurora was outgunning Capital Ships due to it's shields.  The Aurora is a freaking cruiser.  This shouldn't have been happening.

It's more than a above average cruiser, it's pretty much the best cruiser in the game. Sure, the Dominator is hilarious and all but the Aurora blends speed, shields, flux management, firepower, pretty much everything into a single ship. Even after the deserved nerf it's a powerhouse. The only downside is its rarity and pricetag.

Hypilein

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 08:19:47 AM »

I actually don't really like it. Haven't had my hands on it pre-patch, but now I got one, and I was kind of disappointed. But that may be because I don't like heavy blasters, because they are so flux intensive, and I'm also not a missile guy. With the new extremely cool autopulse I just get an Odyssey for just a single FP more.

Still, the nerf is probably very reasonable. I just fear, that next patch it's time to nerf the Medusa. That thing is way more OP then the Aurora...

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 09:28:10 AM »

Try using pulse lasers instead of the heavy blasters. They are pretty dang rockin.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 09:44:33 AM »

I actually don't really like it. Haven't had my hands on it pre-patch, but now I got one, and I was kind of disappointed. But that may be because I don't like heavy blasters, because they are so flux intensive, and I'm also not a missile guy. With the new extremely cool autopulse I just get an Odyssey for just a single FP more.

Still, the nerf is probably very reasonable. I just fear, that next patch it's time to nerf the Medusa. That thing is way more OP then the Aurora...

As much as I love the Medusa, I actually don't think its that overpowered, at least compared to the other combat destroyers. With the energy pd getting good and the increased firing arcs the Hammerhead is quite potent - much more durable than the Medusa as well. The Enforcer suffers from its speed a bit but is a freaking beast with the change to flux capacitors and 5 medium slots. My own personal Medusa variant did get nerfed cause of the railgun change - which is good because before they were ridiculous.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4