Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Alex  (Read 5623 times)

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
Alex
« on: May 07, 2012, 12:23:38 PM »

Is "alex" alex's full name?

Sfaus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Alex
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 12:43:04 PM »

SwipertheFox

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 12:49:36 PM »

Look in the credits in the game for his full name.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 12:52:40 PM »

Why does this question even exist?  You can find his full name in the credits, but still, just put of curiosity, what are you going to do with this information?

Emailformygames

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 12:53:16 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander

I really hate people like you.  Mainly because I receive mail that says "To Alexander De--------" (not going to give out my full name) when my name is Alex!  I put it as Alex everywhere because that is what it says on my birth certificate.  Just because you think that it is short for something does not mean it is so don't ass-u-me.

Long story short if you know his real name refer to it like the others here did, but don't link to a worthless name that helps spread the ignorant thought that all people named Alex are actually named Alexander.

Sfaus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 12:56:45 PM »

I really hate people like you.  Mainly because I receive mail that says "To Alexander De--------" (not going to give out my full name) when my name is Alex!  I put it as Alex everywhere because that is what it says on my birth certificate.  Just because you think that it is short for something does not mean it is so don't ass-u-me.

Long story short if you know his real name refer to it like the others here did, but don't link to a worthless name that helps spread the ignorant thought that all people named Alex are actually named Alexander.
Enjoy your hate. Also look: http://twitter.com/#!/amosolov/statuses/30112651648438272

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 12:59:51 PM »

I don't see why GankedToast would get hate from expressing his experience about the matter. He didn't assume that Alex was just Alex, he was saying that people shouldn't assume that every Alex isn't an Alexander, which I can totally understand as quite often people keep incorrectly adding "-son" to the end of my surname for no reason. Sure it isn't the same thing, but the principle applies, assuming that the person who knows their name rather well made the mistake and typoed/has their name longer.

Sfaus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 01:04:37 PM »

To cut long story short: i don't bother with someone's butthurt, just answer OP question. Sapienti sat.

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 03:05:05 AM »

Alex is an acceptable nick name, poor full name.

Alexander has style and history.

sdmike1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 06:50:27 AM »

Mister Toast, I would like to set the record straght, I have 3 friends named Alex, who are not Alexander, the only reasion that i was asking the question was because i was honstly curious. So thank you for you hate that really makes me feal all warm and fuzzy in-side  ::)

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 08:56:44 AM »

Alex is an acceptable nick name, poor full name.

Alexander has style and history.
Aye, the style and history that only comes with sharing a name with a power hungry lunatic who would kill his friends for looking at him the wrong way.... Hmm.

Names are only words, history doesnt usually come into play, though most people will look at you funny if your name is adolf. in other news, this is quite the *** for such a silly topic.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 09:23:00 AM by Mattk50 »

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 09:12:35 AM »

Mister Toast, I would like to set the record straght, I have 3 friends named Alex, who are not Alexander, the only reasion that i was asking the question was because i was honstly curious. So thank you for you hate that really makes me feal all warm and fuzzy in-side  ::)

Apart from it wasn't directed at you? He was expressing his ire to those who assume that all Alex-es are Alexanders, not at you asking whether it was the full version. At least, that's how I interpreted it

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 09:31:35 AM »

Please let this thread die, it's embarrassing to share the same genome as you guys  ::)

Emailformygames

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 02:11:40 PM »

Mister Toast, I would like to set the record straght, I have 3 friends named Alex, who are not Alexander, the only reasion that i was asking the question was because i was honstly curious. So thank you for you hate that really makes me feal all warm and fuzzy in-side  ::)

Apart from it wasn't directed at you? He was expressing his ire to those who assume that all Alex-es are Alexanders, not at you asking whether it was the full version. At least, that's how I interpreted it

Exactly.  I was aiming it at the guy who made it appear that all people named Alex must be actually named Alexander.  I was in no way aiming this at the OP who was only asking what Alex's real name was.  My only point is that people shouldn't assume that because so and so's name is blah that it must be short for something else.

Edit:  
Please let this thread die, it's embarrassing to share the same genome as you guys  ::)

I tried letting it die by not responding to Sfaus' response, but apparently I'm the bad guy for telling people that they shouldn't assume what other people's names are.

Also, @sdmike1  I'm glad that you actually read my post instead of skimming it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 02:14:50 PM by GankedToast »

sdmike1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 03:17:50 PM »

Mister Toast, i am sorry for what I said in my previous post i was not exactly bright eyed and bushy tailed when i read your post and posted with out thinking so, thank you for being reasonable

Mister Wider community, could we please stop flaming not only in this thread but in general.

Thank you for your consideration,
sdmike1