Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Are high-tech ships less subjective to boarding?  (Read 11403 times)

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
Are high-tech ships less subjective to boarding?
« on: May 07, 2012, 09:32:03 AM »

I get almost zero chances to board high-tech ships it seems while occasionally getting low-tech and mid-tech ships to board.

Does anyone else notice this?

Shoat

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Are high-tech ships less subjective to boarding?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »

Personally, I can't make a comparison because the amount of high-tech ships one faces and defeats in battle is ridiculously tiny compared to the massive amount of low-tech ships that are thrown at one.

It could be that it just seems that way because of how rarely you defeat high-tech ships and how often you defeat low-tech ships, but I cannot be certain.

It would, however, make sense since high-tech ships are worth more money than any equal low-tech ship, maybe value of a ship is calculated into the odds of it being boardable (does sound a little contrived, though).

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 09:41:45 AM »

Personally, I can't make a comparison because the amount of high-tech ships one faces and defeats in battle is ridiculously tiny compared to the massive amount of low-tech ships that are thrown at one.

It could be that it just seems that way because of how rarely you defeat high-tech ships and how often you defeat low-tech ships, but I cannot be certain.

It would, however, make sense since high-tech ships are worth more money than any equal low-tech ship, maybe value of a ship is calculated into the odds of it being boardable (does sound a little contrived, though).

I came to this question due to me fighting only high-tech ships for a good while hoping to get a few, but I've either not bin lucky or there is some difference in boarding chance in this version.

Dx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 10:48:52 PM »

If you boarding it - kill it tenderly 8)
Plasma and torpedoes does not help 8)

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 12:44:32 AM »

would be nice if there was a way to force boarding, though i'd make it somewhat costly and require a degree of specalization. AKA, if you dont manage to board it using your specialized whatever you're *** due to the lack of normal weapons or w/e

Like in mount and blade, if you used all blunt weapons you wouldn't be quite as effective but you'd be getting many many more prisoners.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 04:29:30 AM »

Like in mount and blade, if you used all blunt weapons you wouldn't be quite as effective but you'd be getting many many more prisoners.

.....or crushed them with your horse.  ;D

Kommodore Krieg

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 05:30:30 AM »

would be nice if there was a way to force boarding, though i'd make it somewhat costly and require a degree of specalization. AKA, if you dont manage to board it using your specialized whatever you're *** due to the lack of normal weapons or w/e

Virus or radiation bombs would be a neat idea for this.  They do nothing if you hit shield or armor, but do huge crew damage if you hit the exposed hull.  Of course ships would have to be able to be disabled due to crew levels falling below skeleton crew levels, but I think that would be a good idea.

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 07:46:06 AM »

They do nothing if you hit shield or armor, but do huge crew damage if you hit the exposed hull.

Might get annoying as hell though when the AI uses them. To be more precive, it might get to be expensive as hell.

It's a cool idea however, I admit.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 09:29:26 AM »

Was playing last night and getting the average amount of surrenders and boards (including a medusa!  Whooo!)

Sounds like bad luck.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 09:40:21 AM »

Dunno, if you make it so that you can kill crew directly then you don't have to board with marines after the fact. Whatever it is, i'd prefer that it simply immobilized the ship till post-game where you could proceede to board normally. Maybe it could be a system where you board during combat while the ship is still flailing about and shooting at you by shooting it with harpoons to hold it in place and firing off marines in a boarding pod/drill/missile or something

I'd suggest EMP for the job if that wasn't already a thing.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 02:04:32 PM »

I think someone should make a mod like this, with a ship that can be rammed into another ship (IE an area where hull is exposed) to have the ship be taken offline for the fight and automatically boarded.

But with the radiation, couldn't they just vent it with the flux?
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.