Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 50

Author Topic: Blog Posts  (Read 337602 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Blog Posts
« Reply #660 on: September 11, 2012, 07:34:52 AM »

Construction Rig, Repair Drones – repair ships mid-battle and build temporary weapon platforms around captured objectives
Munitions Ships/Drones – rearm you ships mid-battle
Mines!

Erm... where'd you get these? None of those are anything I'd call "planned" - they range from "under consideration" to "not under consideration"...

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: September 11, 2012, 07:54:51 AM »

Construction Rig, Repair Drones – repair ships mid-battle and build temporary weapon platforms around captured objectives
Munitions Ships/Drones – rearm you ships mid-battle
Mines!

Erm... where'd you get these? None of those are anything I'd call "planned" - they range from "under consideration" to "not under consideration"...

From the only roadmap you (to my knowledge) ever laid out for us: http://fractalsoftworks.com/2011/05/17/starfarer-roadmap-whats-next/#more-663

Back then you wrote:
Mixed in along the way will be various combat tweaks and improvements. Some of the larger items on the list now are:
And they are in the list just under the points you already made true (phasing, ship-systems, the objective-oriented tactical commands).
 So it seems to me you "planned" those at least at that time...

If that's just to outdated, I'd be happy about a new roadmap ;D

« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:07:31 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: September 11, 2012, 08:07:46 AM »

I did say "on the list now", but reading it back, that didn't come across right (as a qualifier meaning the list could change, instead of "useless word".) I should have made it much more clear what stuff was speculation about a particular detail (i.e., "consider it and see if/how it fits in") vs a much higher-level "planned feature". In general: the more low-level a detail, the more likely it is to change.

Ah, well, that's what I get for laying out a roadmap. Given how much of that is still true in over a year, I guess it didn't go too badly :)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: September 11, 2012, 08:13:16 AM »

Alright, now that that's clarified...which of these features are not under consideration anymore, if I may ask?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: September 11, 2012, 08:16:10 AM »

Munitions ships are just about in "not going to happen" land. Mines a bit less so. Construction rigs will get some more consideration.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: September 11, 2012, 08:30:44 AM »

That's what I was hoping :)
 Munition restocking really doesn't seem necessary, both gameplay- and balance-wise.

Building/repairing things mid-battle could be interesting and deepen the tactic element. But for now i'm looking forward to the character system.

Btw., would be cool if you would check out my suggestion :)

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: September 11, 2012, 04:50:25 PM »

Wow the way Alex has finally completed the game is amazing. I mean it was a long alpha and, at least what felt like, a longer beta, but now with the completed game in my hands I just can't get enough of it. I love the...

I'm sorry -  I have to return to the future, for the good of humanity signing off. My time machine awaits

Alex dont forget to- ---  - -  - - -      -

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: September 11, 2012, 11:35:09 PM »

don't forget to what?!?!!?!?  :o :o :o

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: September 11, 2012, 11:47:35 PM »

Hehe, nice one Intothewildblueyonder.

Hey Alex, one of your Twitter messages said you're tossing synergies out the window. Could you go into a lil more detail on what thats about? O_o Or am I just totally confused?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: September 12, 2012, 09:21:50 AM »

:D

Hey Alex, one of your Twitter messages said you're tossing synergies out the window. Could you go into a lil more detail on what thats about? O_o Or am I just totally confused?

No, you're not confused. I got about halfway into a very initial implementation of the skills - enough to see how it would look/play out and synergies just weren't working out. Hard to keep track of - even with some UI help - and felt, well, a bit too much like Excel.

Also difficult to expand/build out - some skills synergize nicely, concept wise, but others do not. Coming up with sensible bonuses Skill A gives to Skill B (and different bonuses that go from B to A!) is in some cases very difficult. Adding an entirely new skill into the mix would be troublesome.

There are some other things to flesh out skills instead of synergies, though - stuff I'm actually more excited about. It's cleaner, simpler, but also (I think) more interesting, because of how it shakes up the curve of when you get bonuses.

Strifen

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: September 12, 2012, 09:35:07 AM »

So by out the window, would that mean synergies (or cross skill bonuses) won't be moddable possibly inserted via mods?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:36:43 AM by Strifen »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: September 12, 2012, 09:41:40 AM »

So by out the window, would that mean synergies (or cross skill bonuses) won't be moddable possibly inserted via mods?

I'd like to keep that option open, but it may interfere with the new design. If it does, <window opening noises>.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: September 12, 2012, 02:08:10 PM »

Modding is key to a game's survival. :) That is, unless the vanilla is so adaptable you can change gameplay features and systems, then it wouldn't need it. ;D

But anyways, modding is a really important feature to any game, try to keep is open as long as possible until it takes too long to implement it or it starts getting buggy.

And syergies are being taken out?  Well, that's sad.  Guess we'll have to live without an epic Onslaught. ;D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: September 12, 2012, 02:17:39 PM »

And syergies are being taken out?  Well, that's sad.  Guess we'll have to live without an epic Onslaught. ;D

You don't know that...I'm really curious about this "more exiting" new thing :)

Alex, will you publish patch notes or will you just surprise us this time?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: September 12, 2012, 02:21:56 PM »

Alex, will you publish patch notes or will you just surprise us this time?

I will. Just want to make some progress re-doing skills in this new way, so that a few skills can be in the patch notes and stand a reasonable chance of actually remaining in a recognizable form by release time :)
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 50