Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 50

Author Topic: Blog Posts  (Read 339528 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Blog Posts
« Reply #555 on: July 15, 2012, 11:31:11 AM »

interesting implementation.  i saw as well that you stated that currently in the testing phase that all ships with phase can stay phased out for the same amount of time.. (without trying to sound too overbearing) i hope that does not stay like that. i would imagine just like shields, phase would have varying levels of effectiveness for uniqueness.

That's a good point (though it wouldn't be exactly the same, due to capacitors). Still, it makes sense to have the phase cloak flux cost be configured per ship - added a couple of columns to ship_data.csv that do that.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: July 15, 2012, 11:34:57 AM »

I'd love to see Davids way of phasing (as he mentioned in the concept art), you'd either need to scout the map real good with your own eyes, or use a special radar/sonar ship, capable of detecting phased ships and have a big FoW reveal radius.

Then, once a phase ship has been detected (if you do it with your own eyes, then you'd have to click the ship and press "R" once you see it (How the AI would do it i don't know)) it'd only show the phase coils, like David demonstrated in the concept art.

That sounds like a better plan to me than the current, ;)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: July 15, 2012, 11:59:20 AM »

It's like you didn't read the blog post, or something  ::)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: July 15, 2012, 12:01:27 PM »

It's like you didn't read the blog post, or something  ::)

I did, but just because i read it doesn't mean i'm entitled to have a completely different opinion about it, you know. ::) ::) ::)

And besides, i'll still be thinking that the system i imagined would work better. Atleast for me. xD

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: July 15, 2012, 12:10:03 PM »

Oh, you're absolutely entitled to an opinion. It'd just be more helpful if you actually laid out the reasons for it, if you've thought it through. If it's just a gut reaction, fair enough. In either case, the *reasons* for why someone has an opinion are much more informative than the opinion itself, in terms of providing new angles to consider - or having a productive discussion.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 12:11:43 PM by Alex »

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: July 15, 2012, 12:29:51 PM »

Reasons - fine.

Why I wanted to see such a system as i saw in the concept art would be purely because that's exactly how I imagined phase ships to work in my mind once they where announced in-offically. I always thought of phase ships to be working and acting a lot like todays submarines, or even the old submarines. That they'd be semi-transparent for the friendly side, but be nearly invisible for the enemy, short of an alpha transparency of, say 10? Because old WWII submarines could either be detected by the use of sonar, or of they where close enough to the surface and you had some men with great eyes onboard, you could track them through the air bubbles the engines let out. In fact, this was the main way of tracking torpedoes once a submarine has launched them. But the main reasoning for this is that this system was what I purely had imagined when i heard the word "phase", logic being that they'd be so far onto the other dimension that they'd be nigh impossible to see, short of looking real good, and noticing any minor movement. The Ai would have to be dumbed down in this matter, to prevent it from detecting the phase ships. How this would be done I have no clue to, someone else can come up with it.
But the system you are going to put in place right now felt a little... Awkward and not exactly as i expected it, even though It's for balance.

TL;DR: gut reaction based on logical information on todays subs.

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: July 15, 2012, 12:35:48 PM »

yeah old torpedoes made bubbles but even the WWII Jap Long Lance started with engines that use pure oxygen instead of air which increases endurance and makes the torpedo harder to spot....
many submarines were actually spotted because planes saw their "shade" in the water

if we would be getting bigger battles in the final game i think some kind of AWACS ship would actually be good
something like Freespace had http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/GTA_Charybdis
they were able to call targets much sooner than without them and i think it could add something to tactics when using carrier groups maybe even provide AI with some kind of advantage against enemy without one
such ship could also find phased out ships at smaller radius than its "radar" range

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: July 15, 2012, 01:33:53 PM »

Reasons - fine.

Why I wanted to see such a system as i saw in the concept art would be purely because that's exactly how I imagined phase ships to work in my mind once they where announced in-offically. I always thought of phase ships to be working and acting a lot like todays submarines, or even the old submarines. That they'd be semi-transparent for the friendly side, but be nearly invisible for the enemy, short of an alpha transparency of, say 10? Because old WWII submarines could either be detected by the use of sonar, or of they where close enough to the surface and you had some men with great eyes onboard, you could track them through the air bubbles the engines let out. In fact, this was the main way of tracking torpedoes once a submarine has launched them. But the main reasoning for this is that this system was what I purely had imagined when i heard the word "phase", logic being that they'd be so far onto the other dimension that they'd be nigh impossible to see, short of looking real good, and noticing any minor movement. The Ai would have to be dumbed down in this matter, to prevent it from detecting the phase ships. How this would be done I have no clue to, someone else can come up with it.
But the system you are going to put in place right now felt a little... Awkward and not exactly as i expected it, even though It's for balance.

TL;DR: gut reaction based on logical information on todays subs.

Gameplay >>>>> Realism. Having to run from invisible, uncounterable ships because you didn't bring a Kryptonite Frigate that, if present, would make the phase ship completely worthless = bad gameplay.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: July 15, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »

But you'd be able to spot it by eye, (because you'd eventually see that the background is moving) and have weapons that can counter it. Besides, those ships wouldn't render them useless, because it'd only be able to spot phase ships in, say, 1/5 out of it's normal sensor range.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 15, 2012, 04:44:14 PM »

That does sound incredibly annoying. You could destroy cloaked ships in SPAZ with a little guess work and attention to detail, but it still wasn't much fun, nor was cloaking very useful in that game anyway.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: July 15, 2012, 07:39:16 PM »

I've seen all these suggestions and though what about when you spot it HOWEVER YOU DO IT and use some kind of multiphasic depth charges/torpedoes but they do not auto aim so you must aim for the disturbance not using the AI though i have no idea how the AI ships will do it... maybe predetermined patterns.

Squigzilla

• Commander
  • SQUIG Industries
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 16, 2012, 05:58:33 AM »

When I first heard mention of phase ships, I actually imagined that they would be untargetable but still visible.  If the existence of phase technology was widely known, wouldn't it make sense to equip all military ships with a basic sensor for detecting ships in p-space?  I'm also fine with the lack of weapons that can target phased ships -- packing the equipment required for phase cloaking onto a ship is difficult enough, but putting the same technology onto every single phase charge would be incredibly expensive.  Besides, "silver bullet" weapons or ships that just flat-out beat a fleet without the appropriate counter are very un-fun.
High Admiral Davian MacNaile of the SQUIG Industries Human Resources Motivational Flotilla

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 16, 2012, 11:57:34 AM »

That does sound incredibly annoying. You could destroy cloaked ships in SPAZ with a little guess work and attention to detail, but it still wasn't much fun, nor was cloaking very useful in that game anyway.

SPAZ also lets you refit mid-battle if cloaked ships are a real problem. In Starfarer, you don't have that luxury.

robokill

• Captain
  • Hey, over there stop looking at my guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 16, 2012, 04:12:02 PM »

can we get an arnarda and codex update please the armarda art pic is out of date and the codex show 10% of th information i need

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 21, 2012, 01:05:21 PM »

Armada art picture?  What does that mean?
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 50