Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 50

Author Topic: Blog Posts  (Read 337565 times)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Blog Posts
« Reply #525 on: July 09, 2012, 05:27:09 PM »

Will the AI be able to at least get a hint of where the phase ship is because of the afterglow from the Phase Coils?

Alright, how can I make it more clear? :) They are perfectly visible to both sides.
But how...what's the...bah, I'll find out when the patch comes. ;D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 09, 2012, 05:59:46 PM »

That thing is going to be a nightmare for the Dominator/Onslaught with their frontal 180 shields - it can just sail right through and pop them in the engines! This is going to be fun!

That's not going to be too easy to pull off, not without ending up at full flux by the time you're done :)

So... what are approximate times for such frigate to spend in phase space? For how long can it become invulnerable?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: July 09, 2012, 06:05:24 PM »

Depends on flux capacity and how much flux the phase coils produce.  Probably max is 10 seconds from the sound of "it'll be hard to get in back of an onslaught"
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: July 09, 2012, 06:06:08 PM »

So... what are approximate times for such frigate to spend in phase space? For how long can it become invulnerable?

Without extra flux capacitors, about 20 seconds, though that's subject to balancing. (This is across the board for all phase ships - it currently costs 5% of the base flux capacity per second). An activation is another 5%.

... this could change literally in the next 5 minutes - don't put too much stock in the specific numbers, just stating them here to give you a general idea.

YAZF

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 09, 2012, 09:18:13 PM »

Since you are now making ship phasing more like shields, there should be similar risks involved. If a ship tried to dephase (totally a word) on top of an object or ship it should get overloaded in a similar fashion to a shield overload. It should remain in cloak but totally overloaded, including weapons AND engines (having the engines dead means they can't stay on top of another object on purpose).  Also the overload repair countdown shouldn't start until the ship comes out of phase. The ship will drift overloaded and phased until the first available time for it to safely dephase, which will be automatic. Then the ship is now targetable by enemies and still vulnerable (as the overload is only now getting fixed) for a few seconds as a penalty. This way prevents you from having awkward collisions and while a person could still purposely abuse it, they are left helpless by doing so.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 11:02:58 PM by YAZF »
Dear Alex,
There should be a battlestation/star fortress fight in the main menu mission mode.  :)

Psycho Society

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 09, 2012, 10:57:20 PM »

That sounds really cool actually.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 09, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »

Add modrelated ability for phase weapons and leave devstage weapons in data files, also ability for phased ship to fire other phased ship ignoring its phase stage will allow multiple tactical option to fight phasing ships by other phasing ships.

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: July 10, 2012, 05:44:33 AM »

if the phase weapons aren't set on countering phase ships anymore, what if they got phase like properties? phase beams could shoot through other ships, friendly or otherwise, to hit their target, and phase charges could do similar.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: July 10, 2012, 06:21:01 AM »

It would be interesting if Phase charge launcher "mines" worked differently on "phased" ship. Imposing some type of debuff on phased ship near them or just preventing ship from "phasing" near charges.

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: July 11, 2012, 05:59:25 AM »

maybe phase ships could attack from phase using phase weapons and vice versa, it would make it a bit more balanced i guess.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: July 11, 2012, 07:00:04 AM »

Maybe if phase weapons could cause the flux on a phased ship to go up, like anti-shield weapons. It's not like anti-shield weapons cheapen shields.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 11, 2012, 09:53:25 AM »

It's fairly balanced already to just remove them from combat completely for however long they are out. Plus you still know where they are.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: July 11, 2012, 10:12:01 AM »

This might mean we can keep the long range of the current Phase Beam - or it might even get knocked down to 10 OP and be a 'standard' weapon like the pulse laser, graviton beam, and mining blaster. I like that purple beam of fighter death.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 11, 2012, 10:31:34 AM »

I would kill for a phase ship mission.

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: July 12, 2012, 10:27:23 AM »

Always nice to see a blog post up when you check up on the game :)

I really like the way it sounds although I would like it if the phase ships were harder to detect, perhaps they should start off more or less invisible (or there actual size be hidden) and then become more visible as they stay phased or there phase-in/ phase-out could be adjusted.

Would having anti-phase weaponry that dephases a phased ship work (this could be just a weapon that acts as a sonar pulse that reveals all phased ships, could be put on a phased ship who has to decide to look for other and reveal my position or stay hidden)?

Would having different levels of phase each with its own advantages and disadvantages (e.g. fully-phased: invisible - but cannot see as far, goes slower or builds flux faster;)

If I remember my submarine history correctly I think Alex may have actually created what WWII subs were like, other than the being visible while submerged. The submarines of that period, at least to a certain degree, not truly at home under the water, moved faster on the surface, and had to surface relatively often when compared to modern subs (due to limited air replenishment, engine tech, and torp tech).
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 50