Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 50

Author Topic: Blog Posts  (Read 337515 times)

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Blog Posts
« Reply #510 on: July 09, 2012, 03:51:59 PM »

Even with the change in the Phasing concept, they'll probably still fill the role of strike craft just fine.

As for your current Phase weaponry, what it could do instead of doing damage is build up the flux levels of a phased ship, causing them to either exit phase space or overload.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 09, 2012, 03:56:00 PM »

Silly, eh? Too over-the-top, too much association with Doom the game, or what? I was going for an "ominous death dealer" feel. The other two phase ships (both frigates) are named "Shade" and "Afflictor".
It just seems kind of generic and cliche in my eyes. For the "ominous death dealer" feel you said you wanted, I think that the name "Damnation" would be an excellent substitution, and probably even gets that feeling across better. But it's your choice, I'm simply offering suggestions. As for the other two names, I'm fairly indifferent on the "Afflictor," but the "Shade" seems... kind of boring. Nothing really wrong with it, it just doesn't really stand out. I've always liked the name "Wraith", but maybe that's just me thinking back to the old Starcraft 1 days. Either way, names are names. As long as the ships are fun to use, I'll be happy :)

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 09, 2012, 04:31:45 PM »

Im so going to get the "Shade" as fast as possible! Awesome name! Alex, please add some new phase missions aswell? Or add them into the random mission rotation.

Also, is the price for the ships set? For in game then. Can you buy them, do you have to capture them? Answers please.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 09, 2012, 04:31:53 PM »

Interesting. I like the change to an alternate defense system.

Also, I would not like to see that Doom ship suddenly materializing next to me. That's a lot of shield- and armor-cracking burst firepower!

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 09, 2012, 04:38:31 PM »

Ooooh shiny! No wonder the AI writing for this has been so much work - these ships are going to have to fight in a completely different manner.

It seems that finding the correct time to vent flux in real space will be absolutely critical to their survival - will some of this new decision making also be improving normal ship's venting? You did mention that ships with low flux will vent if not threatened... :D

That thing is going to be a nightmare for the Dominator/Onslaught with their frontal 180 shields - it can just sail right through and pop them in the engines! This is going to be fun!

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 09, 2012, 04:39:06 PM »

Interesting. I like the change to an alternate defense system.

Also, I would not like to see that Doom ship suddenly materializing next to me. That's a lot of shield- and armor-cracking burst firepower!

They are not invisible, just look at the blog screenshot :)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 09, 2012, 04:41:40 PM »

Invisible to people on the receiving end, I believe.  It'd be a bit hard to navigate if it were invisible to you, no? ;D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 09, 2012, 04:44:04 PM »

Man, I just realized something rather terrifying.

Hounds are bad enough as is; imagine a similarly maneuverable phase frigate, except it can fly straight through you to get to your engines!

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 09, 2012, 04:45:28 PM »

Invisible to people on the receiving end, I believe.  It'd be a bit hard to navigate if it were invisible to you, no? ;D

"Full invisibility is the most disruptive aspect – managing the uncertainty of where a phase ship could be, and making guesses to counter it, is where most of the problems would come from – that has to go."

Yeah...

robokill

• Captain
  • Hey, over there stop looking at my guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 09, 2012, 04:51:41 PM »

i think phase weaponry can hit ships in phase but do not track it so the ai guesses from last position and veolocity and just sprays and the charges go off in proximity and dont hurt friendlys.

Strifen

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 09, 2012, 04:52:12 PM »

I am looking forward to seeing what sort of faction/s will be making heavy use of phase technology(Or what kind of auto-factories are set to produce them), and how the AI handles using it...

Here's hoping they don't become too Hound-like.

I wonder how phasing will affect/be affected by Nebulae, 0 flux coasting...

and this got me thinking:
Quote from: Blog post
Full invisibility is the most disruptive aspect – managing the uncertainty of where a phase ship could be, and making guesses to counter it, is where most of the problems would come from – that has to go. So, conceptually, let’s say the ship is still in an alternate dimension, but it’s got energy anchors in this one, so it can be detected – call them “phase coils” to build on the art...

How distressing it will be to run into a phase fleet (or to have enemies run away).

Hope they're fairly rare, when I think about it.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 09, 2012, 04:58:32 PM »

Silly, eh? Too over-the-top, too much association with Doom the game, or what? I was going for an "ominous death dealer" feel. The other two phase ships (both frigates) are named "Shade" and "Afflictor".
It just seems kind of generic and cliche in my eyes. For the "ominous death dealer" feel you said you wanted, I think that the name "Damnation" would be an excellent substitution, and probably even gets that feeling across better. But it's your choice, I'm simply offering suggestions. As for the other two names, I'm fairly indifferent on the "Afflictor," but the "Shade" seems... kind of boring. Nothing really wrong with it, it just doesn't really stand out. I've always liked the name "Wraith", but maybe that's just me thinking back to the old Starcraft 1 days. Either way, names are names. As long as the ships are fun to use, I'll be happy :)

I remember not being too thrilled with "Doom" at first - used it as a placeholder but it grew on me quickly. Considering perhaps "Harbinger" as a replacement, but... hmm.

It seems that finding the correct time to vent flux in real space will be absolutely critical to their survival - will some of this new decision making also be improving normal ship's venting? You did mention that ships with low flux will vent if not threatened... :D

Yeah, on both counts. Although, venting from full flux is still one of the harder choices for the AI to make, and the one where it gets caught most often - but, it's already proficient enough at it where phase ships do about as well as you'd expect given their loadout.

That thing is going to be a nightmare for the Dominator/Onslaught with their frontal 180 shields - it can just sail right through and pop them in the engines! This is going to be fun!

That's not going to be too easy to pull off, not without ending up at full flux by the time you're done :)

They are not invisible, just look at the blog screenshot :)

Right, not invisible to anyone.

Quote from: Blog post
Full invisibility is the most disruptive aspect – managing the uncertainty of where a phase ship could be, and making guesses to counter it, is where most of the problems would come from – that has to go. So, conceptually, let’s say the ship is still in an alternate dimension, but it’s got energy anchors in this one, so it can be detected – call them “phase coils” to build on the art...

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 09, 2012, 05:06:40 PM »

Will the AI be able to at least get a hint of where the phase ship is because of the afterglow from the Phase Coils?
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 09, 2012, 05:13:41 PM »

Will the AI be able to at least get a hint of where the phase ship is because of the afterglow from the Phase Coils?

Alright, how can I make it more clear? :) They are perfectly visible to both sides.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 09, 2012, 05:15:38 PM »

Im so going to get the "Shade" as fast as possible! Awesome name! Alex, please add some new phase missions aswell? Or add them into the random mission rotation.

Yeah, I've got to take a look at that.

Also, is the price for the ships set? For in game then. Can you buy them, do you have to capture them? Answers please.

TBD, but yeah, something that we'll have to take care of soon.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 50