Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 50

Author Topic: Blog Posts  (Read 337598 times)

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
Re: Blog Posts
« Reply #435 on: May 23, 2012, 02:54:48 PM »

Will these systems be able to be disabled?
Can they be enhanced with hull mods?
PLEASE can the Hound get the burn drive? (I'm laughing just thinking about it.)
Good question.

Oh please no. They look ridiculous as is. Though they probably aren't balanced yet.

Haha, and we may as well also put some troll face decals on there while we're at it.  :D
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 23, 2012, 03:07:06 PM »

I want my Odyssey combat teleporter!!

Unless it gets something even better, but I can't think of anything better right now.

EDIT: I'm thinking, in combat, you pull up the map-screen, you click on your Odyssey, you activate its ability, you click somewhere on the map and BAMN you are there instantly!

Man that would be awesome, probably have to put a limit of once or twice per battle only on its uses though, kind of a powerful ability as first sight. Even if it doesn't directly do anything for direct combat prowess.

EDIT: Oh man I was so wrong, this will definably mean direct improvement of combat prowess. Imagine two Odyssey's teleporting within Tachyon Lance range of the enemy fleet almost at start-up. Man that must be terrifying.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:18:06 PM by Vandala »

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 23, 2012, 03:17:35 PM »

Vandala, that sounds like Tachyon Lance level of imbalance  ;) It'd be cool I guess... But I'd prefer submarines to teleporting ships in terms of getting somewhere without being stopped.
As for getting somewhere instantly, that's what fast ships are for.
Burn Drives will make Onslaughts useful  ;D And, you know, make facing them be describable as facing an 'onslaught'.

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 23, 2012, 03:19:34 PM »

Vandala, that sounds like Tachyon Lance level of imbalance  ;) It'd be cool I guess... But I'd prefer submarines to teleporting ships in terms of getting somewhere without being stopped.
As for getting somewhere instantly, that's what fast ships are for.
Burn Drives will make Onslaughts useful  ;D And, you know, make facing them be describable as facing an 'onslaught'.
Yeah, I just combined the two... man I so want this. Think of the POWER!

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 23, 2012, 05:27:07 PM »

Damn, I thought I'd be a good idea to check out the blog just now (I'm kinda slow on that ;D)
So that's where Flares came from!  And jets, more fun! Oh-ra, the next patch is gonna be fun...;D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 23, 2012, 05:51:09 PM »

I want my Odyssey combat teleporter!!

Unless it gets something even better, but I can't think of anything better right now.

EDIT: I'm thinking, in combat, you pull up the map-screen, you click on your Odyssey, you activate its ability, you click somewhere on the map and BAMN you are there instantly!

Man that would be awesome, probably have to put a limit of once or twice per battle only on its uses though, kind of a powerful ability as first sight. Even if it doesn't directly do anything for direct combat prowess.

EDIT: Oh man I was so wrong, this will definably mean direct improvement of combat prowess. Imagine two Odyssey's teleporting within Tachyon Lance range of the enemy fleet almost at start-up. Man that must be terrifying.

so they tele all of 5 feet.....on the technical side that is fairly impressive (cause FTLing 5 feet is a much more daunting task than FTLing 50000000000000000000000000000000000000000 feet when you already know how to do the latter) on the scaryness side, not so much.

whats scary is 2 odysseys fully armed with plasma cannons and anti-matter blasters coming out of a teleport, now that's a broadside.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 23, 2012, 06:01:58 PM »

MOAR QUESTIONS!

Will the flares confuse missiles not targeting the craft being tracked by missiles?
Will the speed boost from the burn drive stack with other speed bonuses (nav beacons and "no flux" bonuses)?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 23, 2012, 07:59:12 PM »

Glad to see you guys are excited about this! :)

Also, WTB: maneuvering jets for my Conquest.

Sold! At least in the dev build, that's what it has. But that could change - although, it really makes it so much easier to bring the Cyclones to bear, and makes them much more viable in those larger missile slots, so it seems to suit the ship well.

Will these systems be able to be disabled?
Can they be enhanced with hull mods?
PLEASE can the Hound get the burn drive? (I'm laughing just thinking about it.)

No (but can't be used when overloaded/venting), no, and maybe. Still thinking what it needs. I agree that Burn Drive on it would be quite amusing, but it's probably not the right choice :)

Will the flares confuse missiles not targeting the craft being tracked by missiles?
Will the speed boost from the burn drive stack with other speed bonuses (nav beacons and "no flux" bonuses)?

Yes and yes with Nav Buoys, no with 0-flux.

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 23, 2012, 08:13:25 PM »

Is it possible to have my onslaught racing across the map at 170? :D

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 23, 2012, 08:14:49 PM »

i'm pretty sure that onslaught broke atleast 250 xD

but i have made onslaughts go at 600 m/s before, seems like 600 is speed limit :P

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 23, 2012, 08:55:44 PM »

I'm hoping they aren't too over the top, if anyone's played battleships forever you know how the ship specific grav throwers and shield projectors and whatnot can make things feel crappy (though it likely has more to do with the poor implementation, having the click on the system on the ship in a battle to use it was annoying). The lasher flares are cool as hell i have to admit, im not sure if they would just be better as a hull mod or something rather than ship specific things.

Will we be getting any new campaign features with the next update in addition to this?

Kommodore Krieg

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 23, 2012, 09:49:37 PM »

This is very exciting news, I'm looking forward to these. 

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 23, 2012, 11:17:27 PM »

so they tele all of 5 feet.....on the technical side that is fairly impressive (cause FTLing 5 feet is a much more daunting task than FTLing 50000000000000000000000000000000000000000 feet when you already know how to do the latter) on the scaryness side, not so much.

whats scary is 2 odysseys fully armed with plasma cannons and anti-matter blasters coming out of a teleport, now that's a broadside.

What I should have said is, teleport them on opposite sides of the enemy fleet within Tachyon Lance range, right on their edge of the map. That is scary, you'll be under constant lance pressure with anything that enters the battle, reinforcing with fighters and frigates will likely become impossible, ships that don't have omni shields will be forces to move to either Odyssey unless they want their vulnerable engine side blown by both. And even then stuff will just start dieing left and right in the crossfire.

Or you can just teleport them right on top of enemy points you want to grab and park them there. That's one fast takeover, man that will unbalance the game.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 24, 2012, 02:05:39 AM »

Awesome new features, Alex :D!!!

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile