Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 50

Author Topic: Blog Posts  (Read 337546 times)

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
Re: Blog Posts
« Reply #195 on: December 24, 2011, 09:40:52 AM »

ok, yeah, bad choice of wording.  ;D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 31, 2011, 03:16:29 PM »

New blog post is up: Post-Combat Mechanics.

Looting, boarding, repairs, etc.

Dohon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 31, 2011, 03:22:21 PM »

Cheers, Alex! Thanks for the New Year present. :)
Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war! - Battlecry of the Salamanders, Space Marine Chapter, Warhammer 40.000. [...] for in the grim dark future there is only war.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #198 on: December 31, 2011, 11:05:45 PM »

Thanks ;D

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 31, 2011, 11:52:56 PM »

About what I expected, based on what's been said before. Will be interesting to test it out in practice once the next release comes out but it sounds good on the face of it.

Dohon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 01, 2012, 02:11:45 AM »

About what I expected, based on what's been said before. Will be interesting to test it out in practice once the next release comes out but it sounds good on the face of it.

Indeed. It is looking great. I do have one small question: How is ammo handled in this game? Is it a part of 'supplies'?
Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war! - Battlecry of the Salamanders, Space Marine Chapter, Warhammer 40.000. [...] for in the grim dark future there is only war.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 01, 2012, 08:31:31 AM »

How is ammo handled in this game? Is it a part of 'supplies'?

Yeah. Both repair parts and munitions conceptually fall under "Supplies", which are a very broadly-defined item. At one point I was thinking of having both of those be separate but then, thankfully, regained a measure of sanity.

ollobrains

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 01, 2012, 10:51:33 AM »

is it generic supplies or more a base of technological levels ie supply tech 1 ( basic) supply tech 2 ( moderate ) and perhaps supply tech 3 ( advanced weapon ammo and rare supplies) back to the looting and capture blog its a good one and a good way to incorporate it into the game at least until u make a lot of money and do a follow up expansion where things get expanded out

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 01, 2012, 11:09:38 AM »

Allow me to quote the tooltip for "Supplies":

Assorted supplies required by ships and crew, ranging from food and clothing to munitions, spare parts, and prefab building components.

The thinking is that your subordinates (in this case, the logistics officer/quartermaster) take care of the details for you.

Dohon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 01, 2012, 01:47:19 PM »

Yeah. Both repair parts and munitions conceptually fall under "Supplies", which are a very broadly-defined item. At one point I was thinking of having both of those be separate but then, thankfully, regained a measure of sanity.

Funny thing is, I would have loved to see Ammo as a seperate resource. But then again, I'm certified to visit Loonyville.  ;)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 01, 2012, 02:46:22 PM »

Funny thing is, I would have loved to see Ammo as a seperate resource. But then again, I'm certified to visit Loonyville.  ;)

I know what you mean, I was sad to see "Munitions" go. At one point, I was thinking to have "Parts & Machinery", "Supplies", and "Munitions" all be separate resources but... well, they all fit under the heading of "things you need to recover after combat", and making the player keep track of stocking up on all those just seemed cruel.

Edit: It might make sense to do if there was a reason to stock up on more of one vs the other, if that was a meaningful choice - but at this point, it'd just be adding complexity without getting a return on it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 02:55:17 PM by Alex »

tinsoldier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 01, 2012, 03:32:59 PM »

So how many supplies does it cost to go into a battle? Is it a fixed thing... is it based on how much you shoot?  Would a fleet that leverages ammunition based weapons over energy based weapons require a larger stockpile of supplies to survive long expeditions?

Thinking in terms of the Lost Fleet series, the protagonists were constantly running out of the more expensive ammunition types and had to rely on the more primitive short range stuff rather than the expensive missiles and what not (after seeing how much you guys enjoyed the series, I checked it out myself lol).  The concept seems to fit the game play we've seen so far... Torpedos such as the Typhoons and the various missiles are all extremely effective and only available in limited capacity.  It seems like deciding on how many of those you stock up on and how you use them are important tactical decisions.

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 01, 2012, 05:08:56 PM »

I can see one downside to making the use of munitions in combat affect how many units of supplies the fleet uses per battle - it's that the AI doesn't tend to think intelligently in terms of "okay, this enemy poses no threat to me and is half-dead already - I better not waste any ammo on it but just blow it up using my limitless energy armament instead". It might be annoying as a player to see one's own ships waste one's resources like that, which is one argument in favour of abstracting that difference away.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 01, 2012, 05:16:27 PM »

I'm not sure exactly how the amount of supplies used up will be calculated (need to figure it out, and soon!), but there definitely won't be a situation where you make a choice regarding which types of ammo to stock up on.

It seems like a choice you get no real reward from making - you either screw it up and suffer for it, or you get it right, and your ships continue to function normally (yay?). I think it would be tedious in the long run, at least without some more mechanics built up around it to make it interesting.

tinsoldier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 01, 2012, 06:27:35 PM »

What happens when you run out of supplies?  Does your crew run around naked or do the guns stop firing?   :-*
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 50