Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 50

Author Topic: Blog Posts  (Read 337513 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Blog Posts
« Reply #150 on: December 12, 2011, 02:52:14 PM »

Clearly they are fuel tankers.  :)

*Ding ding ding ding ding* We have a winner!

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 12, 2011, 03:17:47 PM »

Clearly they are fuel tankers.  :)

*Ding ding ding ding ding* We have a winner!

Nice, I sure hope the tankers and munitions ships make the final cut and we see them in the game, I love details like that, and a legit supply chain of real ships would be an added wrinkle to manage and protect from pirates!  :)
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 12, 2011, 06:45:21 PM »

Nice, I sure hope the tankers and munitions ships make the final cut and we see them in the game, I love details like that, and a legit supply chain of real ships would be an added wrinkle to manage and protect from pirates!  :)

Tankers are in... well, the small-sized one is, and the others will follow eventually - fuel is a resource. Munitions got rolled up together with other stuff under "Supplies", though - the number of separate resources was getting to be a bit unmanageable.

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 12, 2011, 11:43:12 PM »

Tankers are in... well, the small-sized one is, and the others will follow eventually - fuel is a resource. Munitions got rolled up together with other stuff under "Supplies", though - the number of separate resources was getting to be a bit unmanageable.

Probably for the best - keeping supply lines open is an interesting gameplay element, micromanagement of two dozen different resource types significantly less so.

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 13, 2011, 07:15:27 AM »

you could just rename them "supply ships" could you not?
Quote from: Archon
Why has a developer ever needed any reason other than "it looks bloody awesome"?

I do 3D modeling and map creation for an open source fps called xonotic

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 13, 2011, 07:52:03 AM »

you could just rename them "supply ships" could you not?

Very Valid point.  :) ha
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 13, 2011, 08:07:09 AM »

That's "freighters", though.

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 13, 2011, 08:44:13 AM »

That's "freighters", though.

Nice, btw, what are the chances of being able to do some pirating ourselves at some point in the game, i.e. sending some ships after freighter convoys to plunder their lootz?  I think I remember some talk about it earlier on, but I am not certain of it.

Also, this is something I began to wonder about after the last patch notes update.  Is there navigable space "Inside" of a system between the moons and planets, or is it just you jump your fleets from site to site, and automatically engage anything that was in that spot before you?  One of the reasons I ask, is if it is site to site jumping from moon to planet, etc with no navigable system space in-between, then how would one introduce something like a space station into the mix?  Can't wait to see what you have cooked up in this regard!  :)

Whichever way it ends up being done, I'm sure it will be fun, but I just became a bit curious.  :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 13, 2011, 09:24:17 AM »

What kind of a question is that??? Of course you'll be able to engage in piracy. To be fair, the lines between piracy, warfare, and "law enforcement" activity in the Sector are blurry at best.

Also, this is something I began to wonder about after the last patch notes update.  Is there navigable space "Inside" of a system between the moons and planets, or is it just you jump your fleets from site to site, and automatically engage anything that was in that spot before you?  One of the reasons I ask, is if it is site to site jumping from moon to planet, etc with no navigable system space in-between, then how would one introduce something like a space station into the mix?  Can't wait to see what you have cooked up in this regard!  :)

You'll be able to navigate freely inside a system.

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 13, 2011, 09:42:49 AM »

What kind of a question is that??? Of course you'll be able to engage in piracy. To be fair, the lines between piracy, warfare, and "law enforcement" activity in the Sector are blurry at best.

You'll be able to navigate freely inside a system.

Ha ha! Well said. :)  Happy days, happy days indeed.  :)

Darrow

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 13, 2011, 12:26:42 PM »

How open ended is the world going to be?

Meaning can i choose to be either an actual Pirate? A Mercenary? Ruler of a Empire or lone Carrier ship?

Just curious because you mention supply lines being raidable... but it's not really piracy when you're the ruler of an entire empire/fleet.

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 14, 2011, 01:08:49 AM »

How open ended is the world going to be?

I believe the intention has been described as "Mount and Blade with starships".

Meaning can i choose to be either an actual Pirate? A Mercenary? Ruler of a Empire or lone Carrier ship?

All of those sound like possibilities based on what we've been told, with the possible exception of mercenary work which I'm not sure has been discussed. The commander of a lone carrier may or may not be difficult to play as, depending on how the campaign works out in practice, but as I understand the campaign is supposed to begin with the playe having very few, probably small, ships at their disposal, so maybe it'll be feasible. (Again - "Mount and Blade with starships".)

Just curious because you mention supply lines being raidable... but it's not really piracy when you're the ruler of an entire empire/fleet.

No, then it's called "privateering".  ;)

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 14, 2011, 08:02:33 AM »

No, then it's called "privateering".  ;)

Nice.  :)  ha ha

Alchenar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 14, 2011, 01:58:04 PM »

I believe the intention has been described as "Mount and Blade with starships".

I think I'm the one who started throwing that phrase around, so I'll point out that while Alex thought the allusion was a good one, those weren't his words.

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 14, 2011, 02:32:10 PM »

I think I'm the one who started throwing that phrase around, so I'll point out that while Alex thought the allusion was a good one, those weren't his words.

Entirely possible. I don't expect it to be a fully accurate description either, but it's a convenient shorthand explanation to establish a baseline for expectations.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 50