Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 50

Author Topic: Blog Posts  (Read 337534 times)

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
Re: Blog Posts
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2011, 06:55:35 PM »

;D Well this is exciting.

But I must say that it would still be nice to have a modder's custom battle option for the sake of testing.
Maybe it only shows up if you add in a line in some .ini file or something?

RooksBailey

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2011, 11:00:22 PM »

New blog post up - What's Next?.

Woohoo!  Complete agreement on getting right to the campaign development.  :D  While isolated battles are nice appetizers, I suspect most of us would agree that once we have a full sandbox campaign, they aren't gonna get that much attention from us anyway.   ;D  Focus on what is gonna make Starfarer a true classic: the immersive sci-fi campaign. 

God's speed, captain!   :)

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2011, 11:53:08 PM »

While I do wish the custom battles get implemented eventually, you do make a fine case for starting to implement the campaign first. In fact, your blogposts are one of the biggest reasons I have that I'm entirely confident in this game - they have consistently shown to be thoughtful, to the point and able to make good arguments for whatever course the design takes. I'm sorry the next release will take longer, of course, but on the other hand I'm even more eager to start playing around with the campaign than I am to start playing with custom battles.  ;D

Alchenar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2011, 01:03:07 PM »

Actually you know what I thought of when I read that blog post: Starshatter

Not the most well known game, but it had a really good mechanic whereby the campaign progressed dynamically, and getting promotion got you the chance to transfer into more and more important commands.

UristIzegamal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2011, 04:06:45 PM »

Finally! Waiting this update for soo long)))

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2011, 04:45:57 PM »

On the one hand... Ooh, campaign!  Shiny!

On the other hand... custom battles, even with option overload, would be something that I would find shiny & useful.  And this means I have to wait longer before the next alpha release!  The horror!

On the gripping hand... This means I'll have to wait longer before the next alpha release.  Which means more time to try and construct a space dragon graphic that actually looks good before I get distracted by the next alpha release.  Because clearly that's what's actually important here.  ;-)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2011, 05:00:08 PM »

Will there be a stopgap release to give us the ship configurator-tronic screen?

Zapier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2011, 07:23:29 PM »

Yeah, while it would be nice to get kind of a mid release for the refit stuff, I know the sound of possible campaign development is very exciting... and it certainly won't make me stop checking the forums multiple times a day to see what's new. :P

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2011, 08:20:39 PM »

Thanks for your support, guys!

Not the most well known game, but it had a really good mechanic whereby the campaign progressed dynamically, and getting promotion got you the chance to transfer into more and more important commands.

Sounds like an interesting take on mission-string style campaigns, if that's what it was.

Finally! Waiting this update for soo long)))

Whoa, got a first post out of you :) Welcome, sir.

On the gripping hand... This means I'll have to wait longer before the next alpha release.  Which means more time to try and construct a space dragon graphic that actually looks good before I get distracted by the next alpha release.  Because clearly that's what's actually important here.  ;-)

Bah, just call it a space wyvern and be done with it. You know you want to :)

Will there be a stopgap release to give us the ship configurator-tronic screen?

Unfortunately, no. That's really the point I'm trying to make in the post - that doing it now wouldn't work out very well.

Alchenar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2011, 02:03:18 AM »

Quote from: Alex

Sounds like an interesting take on mission-string style campaigns, if that's what it was.

There's a demo here: http://games.softpedia.com/get/Games-Demo/Starshatter-Ultimate-Space-Combat-Demo.shtml

It's of the old version, but the rerelease didn't do anything more than a graphics update.  I'd recommend giving it a quick shot to see if it provokes some ideas.  There's a practice mission in particlar demonstrating fleet control that is effectively 'starfarer on a 3d plane'.

Davian Thule

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2011, 09:44:26 PM »

Starshatter had some cool mechanics when it came to capital ships, too. Especially when you got to control the carrier and set up the patrol paths. Took a while to get there, though, but finally having a non-strikecraft felt like a MAJOR achievement there.

stonehand

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2011, 08:45:18 AM »

october's blog comming out soon want to hear about how the start of the campain is comming along?
2 weeks of no news finally made me sign up :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2011, 12:48:49 PM »

october's blog comming out soon want to hear about how the start of the campain is comming along?
2 weeks of no news finally made me sign up :)

Welcome to the forum :) Allll part of the plan.

Yeah, we'll put up an update soonish - been much too long. On the bright side, the reason for that is I've been working feverishly on the campaign.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2011, 06:14:46 PM »

Is this one of the times when you feel you just have to add "one more feature!" before you're ready to talk about it?  :D I know how that feels X3

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2011, 07:12:45 PM »

Is this one of the times when you feel you just have to add "one more feature!" before you're ready to talk about it?  :D I know how that feels X3

If by one more feature you mean ten more, then yes :D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 50