Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 50

Author Topic: Blog Posts  (Read 337572 times)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: Blog Posts
« Reply #375 on: April 10, 2012, 06:57:34 AM »

I would bet big money that a custom battle is on the radar. It's just on the radar for after campaign features.

That said I would also really like custom battles, haha. It would be a lot of fun to test our crazy variants and stuff.

YES!! YES!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!
+100 For the idea ;D

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 10, 2012, 07:04:07 AM »

Would be magnificent from a mod developer point of view

Haresus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 10, 2012, 07:07:38 AM »

Custom battles/skirmish mode where you can pick any ship/s with any weapons and hull mods you want, against any ship/s with any weapons and hull mods you want is almost a must-have for Starfarer.

If you want something more in the campaign, an "arena" thing would be nice in the orbital stations. Ship vs Ship (Duel mode), Fleet vs Fleet (10 or so ships on each side, chaotic fighting, either the survivors or the team wins), All vs All (20 ships, all fighting eachother) and a Grand Tournament (A mix of all of them, with the risk of your ship being destroyed?).
Your ship might get damaged in the normal ones, but never really destroyed, you can do it for money or just for testing your own ship (no money involved).

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 10, 2012, 07:32:29 AM »

...You know, the true scale of battles in Starfarer is a lot bigger than it appears. So big that things like pulse lasers travel slowly enough to be visible.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 22, 2012, 01:43:59 PM »

Yessss...

and arena function in campaign would be pretty damn awesome!

It would be a great way to make money, but Imo should be limited to destroyers and frigates.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 22, 2012, 06:11:44 PM »

New blog post is up: Dev Update, Achievements.

Features me trying to overcome personal preferences to take an objective look at achievements, and a link to the dev path notes (mostly for the folks that visit the website, but not the forum).

And a bit of info about when to expect the 0.52a release.

Spoiler
(It's: soontm)
[close]

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 22, 2012, 06:12:16 PM »

Yessss...

and arena function in campaign would be pretty damn awesome!

It would be a great way to make money, but Imo should be limited to destroyers and frigates.

Thank you for crystallizing my own thoughts on this subject. I've long thought that a small-ship-only "Demolition Derby" arena / minigame would add plenty of value to Starfarer. ;D But this feature would be even sweeter alongside parallel but separate fleet-sized arena environments, such as those which Haresus suggested.
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 22, 2012, 06:31:46 PM »

[-spoiler redacted-]

You charming rogue. ::)
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 22, 2012, 08:47:08 PM »

New blog post is up: Dev Update, Achievements.

Features me trying to overcome personal preferences to take an objective look at achievements, and a link to the dev path notes (mostly for the folks that visit the website, but not the forum).

Spoiler
(It's: soontm)
[close]

My take on this is that it's unnecessary in progression heavy games like Starfarer because the game keeps track of your progress already.  Especially once character leveling comes in and ships become harder to procure.

A comprehensive stats keeping would be a much better fit.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 22, 2012, 08:50:29 PM »

You charming rogue. ::)

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week!

My take on this is that it's unnecessary in progression heavy games like Starfarer because the game keeps track of your progress already.  Especially once character leveling comes in and ships become harder to procure.

Really interesting point.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 22, 2012, 10:03:56 PM »

Really interesting point.
[/quote]

Yeah I find most of these are just badly designed. They don't really provide any sense of accomplishment, but they DO nag at your ocd completionist gamer mind.

Stats on the other hand let you make your own random goals to pursue.  :)
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 22, 2012, 11:48:34 PM »

Is love a kind of galactic news system, like when you do something big, its all in the news. I.e "the corvus system is under blockade by *player name*"and so on.
Now that's something I would like.

WK

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 23, 2012, 02:14:15 AM »

Achievements should not be added "just because everyone else has them". The game will eventually (hopefully) have relatively slow progression towards new ships and later towards a larger fleet and even, a larger empire. Having stats will have more or less the same effect as achievements, as suggested.

If, however, achievements is something that the community or the developer wants to include, they should be done well. After reading the blog I get a feeling that we are in good hands as Alex has clearly given this some thought and understands many of the pitfalls and behavior that achievements can endorse.
A relatively good example for use of achievements was the first mass effect. The achievements unlocked bonuses for future playthroughs and unlocking the achievements actually felt like an achievement. Unfortunately that did not catch on and the standard achievements are usually just virtual bragging rights.

What I would rather see in a game like Starfarer is something similar to ME. You could "receive medals" or unlock traits by performing certain tasks in addition to the level progression. This could add something to the game if the goals are selected properly. To give some concrete examples of what I have in mind it could be something like:
-getting one million (or any other amount) profit through trading would give you a permanent bonus for prices. This could be a multistepped "achievement" with increasing bonus. Or maybe you would get a bonus to available cargo space.
-fighting 100 battles with a fleet with at least 10 ships could give you a permanent bonus to fleet size
-training 100 crew from green to elite would give you the title "mentor" (or something) and improve the rate of learning for your crew. Again, possibility for multiple levels.

and so on...

Of course these depend on what the developers have in mind for the leveling system so that the achievement/trait-system would not be completely redundant.

EDIT: Removed a question as I found the answer elsewhere :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:28:23 AM by WK »

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 23, 2012, 02:47:09 AM »

I think WK may be on to something here.

Arghy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 23, 2012, 03:07:38 AM »

Achievements should be actual achievements ingame like they were in Stalker: CoP/M&B mod prophesy of pendor. If you get a certain amount of money then you get an achievement and now you either get a discount or something similar.

The only games i have ever tried to get all the achievements for is HL2 and portal and this is only because i got to listen to the devs talk about why the achievements were made. I get every achievement i can in Stalker:CoP because when you get them they add to the game--you want to amass 100k because you can now spend that money on new things that are available, you want to finish the beginning faction line because it provides you with a large discount in the main place your staying at.

When we got things like officers boosting stats that directly reflect fleet/ship performance then i can totally see going an extra mile ingame to get that achievement that while isent necessary helps boost the game experience.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 50