Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 50

Author Topic: Blog Posts  (Read 337521 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Blog Posts
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 10:57:43 AM »

As for the secret feature...hmm.  I know!  Starfarer is going to be free 2 play MMO!   ;D

Low blow, sir, low blow.

New blog post - QubeTubers IndieWeekend, Giveaway. Brief, but one you should check out if you're itching to have a look at the new fleet control interface, among other things... actually, I'll just paste the text:

Quote from: QubeTubers IndieWeekend, Giveaway
I’m happy to say that we’re going to be the first interview in QubeTubers IndieWeekend!

We’ll be streaming the latest, in-development build of Starfarer, so this is your first chance to see some of the new features in action – in particular, the fleet command mechanics & interface.

The event starts at 8pm, and our interview is from 9-10pm EST. We’ll also be giving away a couple of Starfarer activation codes to viewers that ask particularly thought-provoking questions about the game, so if you’d like  shot at a free copy of the game, do tune in!

captaindiggs

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 08:15:13 PM »

interview was amazing! is this the place to post questions?

Jerry

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 08:35:04 PM »

Might there be a way for those of us who missed the interview to watch a replay? :) I checked around on their website but couldn't find anything.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 08:46:33 PM »

Thank you! Absolutely :)

Might there be a way for those of us who missed the interview to watch a replay? :) I checked around on their website but couldn't find anything.

I'll find out. The livestream thing is new to me so I don't know offhand.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 09:12:26 PM »

Looks like you can watch a replay of the interview here. It's broken up into a bunch of segments because we had to restart the stream a couple of times during the event.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 09:16:37 PM »

Ah nice - I missed it all due to not having internet >.< (off visiting people this week)

Jerry

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 09:39:40 PM »

Thank you very much! :D

Qloos

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2011, 06:12:34 PM »

Absolutely :)

Using the Bay12 system of limegreening all questions

Although the game would be great as a standalone sandbox strategy space shooter: Are there any plans to branch out into character personalities and drama?

How do you feel being able to disable ship systems could be balanced to avoid a tipping scale style of gameplay?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2011, 07:01:27 PM »

Oh god, the green, it burns my eyes.

Although the game would be great as a standalone sandbox strategy space shooter: Are there any plans to branch out into character personalities and drama?

I'll say maybe :) Personalities are a gray area for now, though we're thinking about it. As far as drama, I very much want to have the game create emotionally-charged situations, without being explicit about it. An example I like to go back to is MoO2, where you could exterminate the populations of captured planets. There was no judgment about the decision either way built into the game, it was just a mechanic with some advantages and disadvantages - but it managed to elicit an emotional response, nonetheless. Part of it was how understated and matter-of-fact the whole thing was.

How do you feel being able to disable ship systems could be balanced to avoid a tipping scale style of gameplay?

That's a great question. Clearly, disabling systems disadvantages a ship (unless we do something silly like giving such a ship a  bonus). To avoid slippery slope, the disadvantage has to be temporary and non-cumulative.

So, if damaged systems were automatically repaired by the crew, and could not be damaged while they were being repaired, a lot of the slippery slope could be avoided - you'd gain a temporary advantage by disabling some enemy guns and could do some damage in safety, but unless you disabled the ship, the guns would be back within some fixed period of time.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 12:38:48 PM »

New blog post - Ship Lore, Variants. Lots of lore, and a bit of yours truly pontificating about ship loadouts.

Psycho Society

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 11:24:19 PM »

Great post, Alex. I love the effort you've put in to making piloting any individual ship a much more diverse and fun experience with these ship variants. I can't wait to customize my own. That'll be so wicked, making all the ships in my fleet support each other in an entirely unique way to achieve any given objective. Brilliant. This game of yours has so much potential.  :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2011, 07:54:32 AM »

Thanks for the kind words. Just the kind of extra motivation I needed to get going on what otherwise seems like a lazy Saturday morning :D

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2011, 12:37:34 PM »

Great post, Alex. I love the effort you've put in to making piloting any individual ship a much more diverse and fun experience with these ship variants. I can't wait to customize my own. That'll be so wicked, making all the ships in my fleet support each other in an entirely unique way to achieve any given objective. Brilliant. This game of yours has so much potential.  :)
At the moment you can actually mod your own custom variants in; its pretty easy, just look at how the current variant files are written.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2011, 11:24:16 AM »

New blog post up - Ship Loadouts. Overview of the ship refitting mechanics and a few screenshots.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2011, 01:27:23 PM »

;D
Yay! Now we can complain that you change the ui that we see in the screens by the time the release comes out (jk of course ;) - I really appreciate that you keep us well filled-in on the details)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 50