Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 50

Author Topic: Blog Posts  (Read 337501 times)

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
Re: Blog Posts
« Reply #315 on: March 23, 2012, 01:39:49 PM »

Actually, there is no need to have fuel over the cap. Just blow surplus fuel into space if you lose some crafts.
You could say this about any excess. That's no fun though. Accidents is much more fun.  :)
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Chittebengo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 23, 2012, 01:41:14 PM »

Actually, there is no need to have fuel over the cap. Just blow surplus fuel into space if you lose some crafts.
You could say this about any excess. That's no fun though. Accidents is much more fun.  :)

"We're over cap on living quarters, time to jettison the green crew into space."

Dr.Noid

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 23, 2012, 01:48:26 PM »

"We're over cap on living quarters, time to jettison the green crew into space."
That's what the redshirts are for :)

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #318 on: March 23, 2012, 10:09:37 PM »

FP limit is now getting enforced? Can that get held off until after we can split our fleet/store our ships?

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 23, 2012, 10:48:51 PM »

dont you know Alex is really Supreme Chancellor Palpatine in disguise. :P (insert insidious laugh here)
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

factotum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 24, 2012, 12:22:34 AM »

FP limit is now getting enforced? Can that get held off until after we can split our fleet/store our ships?

Pretty sure Alex said this one won't be save-game compatible with the old one anyway, so it's new fleet time in any case!

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 24, 2012, 01:19:17 AM »

Pretty sure Alex said this one won't be save-game compatible with the old one anyway, so it's new fleet time in any case!

Maybe I've missed that, but he's certainly explicitly said that keeping up savegame compatibility with old versions is not a serious concern for him at this point. (Which I think actually also has a side benefit, because starting from scratch may also be a better way for players to re-assess any balance changes in the game since it's not obscured by the huge fleets of endgame - hence the details are easier to make out.)

Godwinson

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 24, 2012, 08:08:22 AM »

Going over ship OP
well I was thinking that accidents that come from going over a ship's OP would affect you during combat (with risk being related to how high you go over). So if you want to do gamble on this alot you would be running a huge risk in the short and long term Short term you run the risk of having your ship becoming useless in the middle of battle (because of using too big a weapon that destroys the ship, crew deaths, becomes overloaded too quickly or the ship runs out of power). Long term you can lose ships and weapons. It may also require repairs to make the ship usable again.

Ah, I see. So you could say, then, there's a "Malfunction" chance for every weapon (and the engines) if the ship is over OP - would be the same as being disabled, but random. Which sounds reasonable, but I suspect it'd be more annoying/frustrating than not - I can see reloads over a loss caused by an untimely engine malfunction. Might work, of course, just saying what my reservations are.

Besides, there's no driving force to do this, other than copying the accidents mechanic (which exists for different reasons!). Still, I have to admit it's an intriguing idea.

A different tack to take for going over your OP budget would be to make repairs take a lot longer, make it take longer for disabled systems to be restored in combat, and make systems more likely to be disabled. You're basically cramming in more things than the ship was designed for.

Sure, you've stuck all these big, power intensive weapons on your ship, and you've got these big, beefy engines, but you've also got power mains running along the deck in the crew quarters (or even outside the armor!), the power plant is being stressed keeping up with all the demands, and god help you if you take a shot that hits one of the jury-rigged capacitors that you had to put right up against the life support systems.

As an off-the-cuff thought, have it so you can install up to half-again the OP of a ship, but if you do that, you'll be hideously vulnerable to system disruption, and the overall maintenance cost of your ship goes up by, say, an order of magnitude, and your ship is much much more accident-prone.

It'd give it a real trade-off, while making it a flexible cap. Do you install that bigger gun, when it'll make everything cost more and make you more vulnerable? Are the extra flux capacitors worth the added chance of losing your weapons or engines and for longer? Do you beef up your engines knowing that it'll make for more frequent disasters that'll kill off your carefully husbanded crew of elites? That's the sort of trade-offs in decision making that makes games like this one so awesome.

stardidi

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 24, 2012, 08:19:52 AM »

this would indeed make the game a lot more awesome, flexible limits combined with careful decisions.

One thing that is important is that is should be extremely obvious that you're over OP in the refit screen, make the OP glowing red and make the ship have all kinds of sparks, that why someone won't be like: "why did my ship explode" (unless they refit with their eyes closed :P)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 24, 2012, 09:03:05 AM »

dont you know Alex is really Supreme Chancellor Palpatine in disguise. :P (insert insidious laugh here)

That's emperor Alex to you ;)

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #325 on: March 24, 2012, 01:55:19 PM »

no, no, it doesn't matter if its savegame compatible or not, the issue I have is that I won't be able to collect all the ships. Unless there is some option to change the max fleet point limit... (Or we are getting ship storage/fleet splitting.)

BlueSkyBlackBird

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 24, 2012, 03:38:39 PM »

I assume extra storage will be implemented when the personal outposts are implemented.
Playing since [2.20.12]

Anysy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 24, 2012, 09:43:24 PM »

storage solution - Enter combat with something, beat ships that you want to store down to ~1 hp. sell them for basically nothing to any dock.. Buy back for basically nothing at any point.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 25, 2012, 12:59:01 PM »

I want to store ships which haven't been smashed up though. How unsightly.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #329 on: March 26, 2012, 10:48:07 AM »

I want to store ships which haven't been smashed up though. How unsightly.
Indeed.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 50