Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 50

Author Topic: Blog Posts  (Read 339606 times)

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Blog Posts
« Reply #285 on: March 21, 2012, 12:58:51 PM »

Iiiiiinteresting. Regarding this philosophy of avoiding 'hard limits', will there be a similar application of thoughts in regards to undercrewed ships? Make it slower, aim worse, maybe some batteries won't fire...?

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 21, 2012, 01:01:19 PM »

Awesome!  I think this'll work out very nicely; I really appreciate the "soft" limits presented here.  Definitely nice to be able to go over by a bit without having to worry too much about it.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Patchumz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 21, 2012, 01:04:06 PM »

I love the way that was handled Accidents are perfect. Can't imagine the epic solutions Alex will come up with for other mechanics.

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 21, 2012, 01:04:24 PM »

Iiiiiinteresting. Regarding this philosophy of avoiding 'hard limits', will there be a similar application of thoughts in regards to undercrewed ships? Make it slower, aim worse, maybe some batteries won't fire...?

Hmm good ideas.  To follow up on this, what about having autofire disabled and battle repair (weapons and engine) taking longer?

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 21, 2012, 01:09:10 PM »

I like the idea. I'm curious as to how varied the different types of accidents will be. I understand they'll be different in the amount of losses, but I'm more interested in the scenarios that those losses occur in. Even though they're supposedly rare, it would be kind of annoying to see "a jury-rigged cargo container's magnetic coupling asploded" every other accident.

Maybe something like "Some idiot threw his cigarette into a trash bin that was converted to hold fuel, and the ship exploded."

YAZF

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 21, 2012, 01:23:31 PM »

I'm most curious about how fighter capacity limits would work. I was under the impression fighters wouldn't be capable of light speed travel and therefor needed to be carried in larger ships. If we can go over our fighter count with a risk of an accident would we still be able to use light speed? I assume accidents for this case would be most likely when you were preparing for light speed. Ex: "While trying to cram 30 fighters into a tiny hanger in order to jump to light speed there was a huge accident." or "Make-shift fighter lightspeed drive utterly failed and exploded."

Or will you still be unable to go light speed with too many fighters AND there be random accidents occurring?
Dear Alex,
There should be a battlestation/star fortress fight in the main menu mission mode.  :)

BlueSkyBlackBird

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 21, 2012, 01:31:10 PM »

My primary question is: Will there be a way to store weapons/cargo in general somewhere else? My personal problem is, that my fleet carries a lot of weapons with it and thats the main reason why it exceeds the cargo limit. But simply selling it, does not seem to be a good idea, since some of the weapons are quiet rare to find. And if I wanted them back, I had to buy them again, which would be quiet a nuisance. I would prefer to have a orbital space station, that lets you buy space to store weapons and cargo.
Is there something like that planed for future updates?
Playing since [2.20.12]

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 21, 2012, 01:56:38 PM »

Hmm good ideas.  To follow up on this, what about having autofire disabled and battle repair (weapons and engine) taking longer?

Interesting indeed. My concern would be adequately explaining why things in battle don't work, without them looking like bugs (hey, why is autofire/this gun/the port engines not working?).

I like the idea. I'm curious as to how varied the different types of accidents will be. I understand they'll be different in the amount of losses, but I'm more interested in the scenarios that those losses occur in. Even though they're supposedly rare, it would be kind of annoying to see "a jury-rigged cargo container's magnetic coupling asploded" every other accident.

Maybe something like "Some idiot threw his cigarette into a trash bin that was converted to hold fuel, and the ship exploded."

There's randomized text for every type of accident, so there should be a good variety. Unless you're always over cargo capacity, in which case an assorted variety of container-related problems await. (Still much more than just the one, though).

I'm most curious about how fighter capacity limits would work. I was under the impression fighters wouldn't be capable of light speed travel and therefor needed to be carried in larger ships. If we can go over our fighter count with a risk of an accident would we still be able to use light speed? I assume accidents for this case would be most likely when you were preparing for light speed. Ex: "While trying to cram 30 fighters into a tiny hanger in order to jump to light speed there was a huge accident." or "Make-shift fighter lightspeed drive utterly failed and exploded."

Or will you still be unable to go light speed with too many fighters AND there be random accidents occurring?

Hangar space is actually special. It has an associated supply cost for going over, but doesn't carry any risk of an accident by itself. However, going without supplies for a while (more than a few days) carries its own risk of accident.

Excellent idea about it carrying a risk while going into hyperspace - I'll keep that in mind :)

My primary question is: Will there be a way to store weapons/cargo in general somewhere else? My personal problem is, that my fleet carries a lot of weapons with it and thats the main reason why it exceeds the cargo limit. But simply selling it, does not seem to be a good idea, since some of the weapons are quiet rare to find. And if I wanted them back, I had to buy them again, which would be quiet a nuisance. I would prefer to have a orbital space station, that lets you buy space to store weapons and cargo.
Is there something like that planed for future updates?

Later on, when you can build outposts, sure. For now, no - but you can get some freighters, which actually become quite useful because of this.

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 21, 2012, 02:12:37 PM »

Huh. Interesting take on the issue, and definitely not one I saw coming. But yes, soft limits are better and more interesting than hard ones.

Dr.Noid

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 21, 2012, 02:14:48 PM »

Hmm good ideas.  To follow up on this, what about having autofire disabled and battle repair (weapons and engine) taking longer?

Interesting indeed. My concern would be adequately explaining why things in battle don't work, without them looking like bugs (hey, why is autofire/this gun/the port engines not working?).
In the deploy screen you could add a nice, big icon to the ship indicating that it's understaffed, with a tooltip explaining the consequence.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 21, 2012, 02:19:37 PM »

In the deploy screen you could add a nice, big icon to the ship indicating that it's understaffed, with a tooltip explaining the consequence.

Right, but smaller battles don't have that screen.

I'm not saying that it's an intractable problem - just one that will take some careful thinking to solve, both in how being under strength manifests itself, and in how/where it's explained.

Dr.Noid

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 21, 2012, 02:29:59 PM »

Hmm, indeed.
The screen shots show that the star map already has a warning for possible accidents. I suppose a separate warning for under staffing wouldn't be bad.

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 21, 2012, 02:38:57 PM »

Will these sort of limits be applied to anything else? (e.g. you can go over a ship's OP but you run the risk of losing weapons or blowing up the ship...)

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 21, 2012, 02:42:11 PM »

I HOPE not. That sounds way, way, way, unbalancing.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 21, 2012, 02:44:50 PM »

Yeah I would also like to just see hard limits where it makes sense. Like OP and staffing.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 50