Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Forum Postcount  (Read 5412 times)

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Forum Postcount
« on: May 06, 2012, 11:30:07 AM »

Can we... not have one? It's nice to know that Alex is the most frequent poster on the forum, but other than that it sort of encourages content-less posts. Like bumps.
I'd much prefer a reputation system.  :P

Zapier

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Postcount
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 12:35:47 PM »

I'm with you on this... any forum anywhere, some people seem to think number of forum posts means knowledge or veteran status of some shape or form. I've been in some forums where I hadn't posted anything for a couple years and when I finally bothered doing so, people would denounce me as a liar (saying I didn't know what I was talking about when it came to older versions) or just a 'noob' because I only had a handful of posts.

This kind of mentality does seem to lead to more bumping or "+1" posts and so on... the content-less posts as said above... and more posts like that just leads to more spam to sift through when you're wanting to find meaningful things.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 12:51:09 PM »

I kind of agree.

I'd like a karma system :)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 12:56:47 PM »

I kind of agree.

I'd like a karma system :)

You know, these SMF forums do have a karma system. I use one on my own SMF forum, and as much as I'd like not to have a forum post count, It saddens me to know that there isint an easy way to turn it off. Though there is a karma system.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 12:59:29 PM »

I've seen the same mentality here, Zapier- displaying a join date and a karma level would be better. I've seen somebody on this forum (a sensible poster by all accounts) openly question an older poster's reliability because the latter only had a postcount of 100.
I admit to an unconscious urge to boost my own post count.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 01:01:18 PM »

I've seen the same mentality here, Zapier- displaying a join date and a karma level would be better. I've seen somebody on this forum (a sensible poster by all accounts) openly question an older poster's reliability because the latter only had a postcount of 100.
I admit to an unconscious urge to boost my own post count.

Same here.  It seems to somehow result in that pepole think that higher post count = higher status and morw knowledge of things, even if the most frequent poster can be a total noob.

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
  • I'm a different kind of buddy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 01:02:42 PM »

+1?  :)

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 01:35:09 PM »

I think a join date would be good, but i feel like a karma system could lead to people purposly bashing other and I only like my conflict in the game not out of it.

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 01:38:36 PM »

Hide post counts so i can unleash ridiculous amounts of posts on the forums without being depressed at the fact that ive made 400 posts in an hour.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 01:38:52 PM »

I think just hiding the join date, post count and all that stuff apart from on the profile page would be better. So that people looking just see the familiar names and avatars and cast an opinion of them on their own without their decision being influenced with high numbers

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 01:45:12 PM »

I think just hiding the join date, post count and all that stuff apart from on the profile page would be better. So that people looking just see the familiar names and avatars and cast an opinion of them on their own without their decision being influenced with high numbers

This!

Zapier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 01:59:25 PM »

Yeah, I don't even really want/need to see a join date, although in this forum I'd be satisfied with mine as well. As silly as it sounds, there's a reason why even on job applications and such we like to put laws and rules into place that limit the amount of personal and often meaningless information on them. It can lead to situations of bias and possible discrimination. In forums, post counts and join dates can influence people in the same way and it can cause good information, ideas and discussions to be put down or devalued by others who feel the poster hasn't been around long enough or has enough posts to make them a credible poster.

Feels quite foolish to even consider such ideas, especially in an online forum, but it's a valid thing to be concerned of. Fresh ideas and faces can be a good thing in developmental processes, and the last thing people need is someone bashing it because their number is newer or smaller... it only takes one inconsiderate troll to get a topic locked or derailed... (even though they can still do that no matter what steps are taken to 'protect' the younger or infrequent posters)

frag971

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »

I don't care about that count tho, it's a number, i posted X amount of posts. Who cares? ::)
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
  • I'm a different kind of buddy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 02:04:48 PM »

Apparently enough people to raise a complaint about their behavior.

Zapier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 02:07:34 PM »

Sometimes newer forum posters might care. In the same way that newer posters can have their stuff put down by others simply for lack of a high number of posts or older register date... newer posters might sometimes take information from someone with a high post count as something they can trust and count on, even when it isn't backed up by reliable quotes and links.

I've seen it more than once in forums where you would think people wouldn't care, but some do...
Pages: [1] 2