Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Strategic Refit Times  (Read 1819 times)

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Strategic Refit Times
« on: May 06, 2012, 02:21:13 AM »

I've search a bit and the closest thing I found was this thread: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=1785.0. If this has already been mentioned I apologize, I've been out of the loop for quite some time.

The idea I have is similar to the one mentioned in the thread linked above, with the exception that we're not simply talking about switching out ammunition and such. The thing I want to focus on is the refit time of weapons. Since we can refit on the fly, it seems to me that instead of all weapons, weapons of the same class, or refit time being made dependent on the class of the ship, certain weapon types like missiles and small simple ballistic weapons could be switched out for other missiles or simple or similar ballistic weapons respectively. This would add a strategic pre-planning dimension to the weapons you select.

For example, a missile rack switching out Harpoon for salamanders when facing a highly mobile but weakly armored threat quickly or instantaneously on the system map. Large and powerful weapons should take a long time to install and uninstall, and maybe instill a hefty speed penalty too to accentuate the differences of ready to fire missiles and weapons of similar make from big honking space guns that take a lot of pampering).
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
Re: Strategic Refit Times
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 03:35:12 AM »

Weapons are pretty much just modules you can attach to the slots of a ship, doesn't take much effort and it's way easier, faster and safer to switch a module pack of missiles then to haul individual warheads around.

Type of weapon doesn't really matter, everything is likely to be standard procedures if not fully automated.

At least that's my take on things.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Strategic Refit Times
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 10:13:34 AM »

For example, a missile rack switching out Harpoon for salamanders when facing a highly mobile but weakly armored threat quickly or instantaneously on the system map. Large and powerful weapons should take a long time to install and uninstall ...

That's pretty much how it works already. The refit time is based on the amount of OP's worth of difference in the new loadout. So, if you installed some expensive new hullmods, it'll take a while. If you simply swapped out some light guns or missiles, it'll be very quick.