Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Do you want alien races?

Yes! The more aliens the better! I want all kinds!
- 14 (14.7%)
I'd prefer sentient, evil alien races to fight against.
- 4 (4.2%)
I'd prefer sentient aliens that could be allies or enemies.
- 21 (22.1%)
I don't really care either way.
- 5 (5.3%)
No, I'd prefer only humans and their various factions.
- 23 (24.2%)
I'd like aliens, but only monster/deep space horror type. No communication.
- 28 (29.5%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Do you want aliens? Enigmatic, evil, friendly? Poll.  (Read 17060 times)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Do you want aliens? Enigmatic, evil, friendly? Poll.
« on: May 04, 2012, 08:56:11 PM »

Poll says it all really. I for one would like at least 2 alien races - one mysterious and menacing while the second would be neutral at first but eventually you could ally with them and gain their ship blueprints/weapons and even recruit some officers from them and crew that give different bonuses than human crew.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 09:11:33 PM by Dri »

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Do you want aliens? Enigmatic, evil, friendly? Poll.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 09:40:29 PM »

i'm more or less convinced that the domain has already curbstomped all other sentient / semi sentient / could be sentient beings in their region of space, and if there is anything still out there, i don't think they would dare launch into space ever again.

plus its good to have a space game not centred around "human survival vs species X", but rather looking into " human survival vs eachother."

D0vahkiin

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 01:43:42 AM »

I don't think there should be any Alien factions or anything, because the Domain. But what I do think there should be, some mysterious Aliens that don't make contact, only observe. Or only Aliens that pass by the sector, likely refugee fleets or something like that, searching for a new home. An alien horde that devours entire sectors could be an interesting late game event.

vagyr

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 01:49:36 AM »

I would hate to see "yet another aliens evil humans band together to survive" game...
aliens that are sentient and are just there sure. But preferably just humans and the interactions between different human factions

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 02:22:10 AM »

agreed...

just human politics and survival in space is nice and refreshing

plus the grim lore really feels more natural with just humans.... aliens kinda cheapens the whole premise imo
mmm.... tartiflette

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 03:20:06 AM »

I don't think there should be any Alien factions or anything, because the Domain. But what I do think there should be, some mysterious Aliens that don't make contact, only observe. Or only Aliens that pass by the sector, likely refugee fleets or something like that, searching for a new home. An alien horde that devours entire sectors could be an interesting late game event.
If you read the Onslaught's entry, I believe it mentions it was made to fight a non human race in a long forgotten war.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 04:37:48 AM »

I really wouldn't like aliens, but if they were put in, I think that the last option would be the best.

Zani

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 05:20:23 AM »

Maybe it could be like pre-WW2 China, where there was a power trying to wipe out another, slightly weaker power who wanted to team up and take out the invaders (Japan). Maybe the Hegemony want to band together with the Tri-Tachyeon to fight the Aliens but they are more occupied with being the strongest power in the sector?

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 06:28:07 AM »

Maybe it could be like pre-WW2 China, where there was a power trying to wipe out another, slightly weaker power who wanted to team up and take out the invaders (Japan). Maybe the Hegemony want to band together with the Tri-Tachyeon to fight the Aliens but they are more occupied with being the strongest power in the sector?

This is exactly one of the things I don't want. It would make the game look like its about mankind surviving aliens than what it really is: humans trying to gain more power in a dark age.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 07:09:35 AM »

If there were aliens in Starfarer, I feel that they would be on par with the humans or weaker. The Domain pretty much crushed any alien threats, so in the absence of the Domain or any other large, organized opposition, some of them may have experienced a resurgence. However, my guess is that they would be much less common than humans. It's doubtful that their technology would be any more advanced than Tri-Tachyon's and more likely on par with the Hegemony's technology... or even lower. My guess is mid- to low-tech for the most part, but with high-tech in particular areas.

I can particularly imagine an alien race that invested heavily in phasing technology and weapons that can be fired while cloaked/phased, but due to specialization are weaker in most other ways. If their primary enemy was the Domain, which had an overwhelming military and vast resources at its disposal, then the only way to win would be to avoid a fight or use guerilla tactics; cloaking technology plays into that well. With the Domain out of the way, they may try to put a more significant foothold into the galaxy. However, their presence would probably be relatively small and their technology, with the exception of their specialty, would be more or less on par with the human factions'.

Just look at the following picture posted on the blog, at the ship between the Venture and the Falcon. When you look at that ship, tell me that doesn't scream "alien cruiser that cloaks."

Spoiler
[close]

As for their disposition, they probably wouldn't be particularly friendly, taking a real *** from humanity for a long time (decades, at least). And, smelling weakness, they might want to push for dominance. On the other hand, living under constant pressure, they may just be weary of fighting and want peace so they can just settle, expand, and grow as a civilization. Maybe both. Either way, they'd probably be wary of any humans, especially since humans (and pirates in particular) might still see the aliens as an enemy, or source of useful technology and territory to be claimed.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 07:19:58 AM by naufrago »

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 07:15:32 AM »

With that ship there probably will be some sort of alien faction.

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 07:19:32 AM »

i want to say either that ship was scrapped along with those massive dram tankers, OR its the phase ship. the submarine type stealth ship alex talked about a few times.
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 07:21:53 AM »

i want to say either that ship was scrapped along with those massive dram tankers, OR its the phase ship. the submarine type stealth ship alex talked about a few times.

Wait those dram tankers where scrapped? Why?

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 07:26:18 AM »

Wait those dram tankers where scrapped? Why?

well i could be wrong but i just feel like those aren't going to be in the game but for the "alien" ship i absolutely believe that is the phase ship or a design that probably won't end up being used.

also how outdated is that pic?

the conquest is called the Manticore class battlecruiser

the apogee is called the Helios-class
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 07:34:09 AM by Doom101 »
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 07:54:52 AM »

also how outdated is that pic?

the conquest is called the Manticore class battlecruiser

the apogee is called the Helios-class

http://fractalsoftworks.com/2011/12/12/the-armada/

So, December, 2011.

At this point, anything is just rampant speculation. *shrug* Just puttin' in my 2ยข.
Pages: [1] 2 3