Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AI turns off shields early  (Read 2066 times)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
AI turns off shields early
« on: May 04, 2012, 05:34:14 PM »

Just watched an AI vs AI fight between a medusa and a hound.  The hound would swing in, fire off some shots, and then back off again.  As soon as it was out of the hound's range, the medusa would shut off its shields - apparently unaware of the fact that there were still several shots in transit that could (and did) connect with armor.

Tracking individual shots of ballistic weapons is likely to be too much effort - I'd try something along the lines of calculating a transit time for each such weapon, and just assume that it's still a threat for that long after it's moved out of range.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: AI turns off shields early
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 05:42:25 PM »

Thanks for the report - I'll take a look at it at some point.

Kzanu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 05:46:39 PM »

I saw a similar thing with my AI controlled Aurora. When I outfitted it with burst pd's , as soon as the other ships stopped firing for a sec it would drop shields, then put them right back up. After I took out all pd's from it, the ship maintained shields up throughout 4 fights in a row.

Maybe it's related to the availability of pd weapons or burst pd.

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 01:52:06 AM »

I have also seen this with a couple of mod ships. The AI seems to not notice that the bullets can take a while to reach their target, so once it feels safe from being shot at (atleast for the moment) it will drop its shields even when there are still bullets flying towards it.