Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Freighter FP Cost  (Read 7107 times)

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Freighter FP Cost
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 08:02:22 PM »

FP cost isn't really relevant

that's all i read.

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 08:10:42 PM »

Yeah... FP Cost isn't directly tied to a ship's combat effectiveness, or... any effectiveness in some cases. ( ie mining drone )

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 09:09:38 PM »

...? talk about taking stuff out of context, holy ***. I never understood why people post "thats all i read", it makes you look silly for not reading the surrounding words and often damages the discussion as is apparent.

Look:
"The idea of freighters seems to be that they sacrifice combat capability for cargo/fuel/personnel space (depending on the type of hauler), which is supposed to be "worth it" based on the FP costs that are more or less equal to other ships of the same size. "not being able to stack ventures" because of their FP cost isnt really relevant when you see that you cant really stack anything else either because of the low FP cap, the problem is with how efficient each are at their job."

@AC, mining drones im sure will eventually be for mining (what other reason would there be for all those visitable asteroids around the solar map) so general effectiveness is probably a good bar for FP (not combat specific, obviously). In the case of high tech ships, their "effectiveness" is balanced out by increased credit cost. Increased price would lower the "effectiveness" due to the extra difficulty of maintaining and deploying it, not that any of this is easily quantifiable.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 09:26:43 PM by Mattk50 »

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 03:24:57 AM »

i have to assume ships like the venture that do everything well are going to end up being MORE expensive than everything else when there are actual campaign bits in there. (IE progression not via combat) or much harder to find.
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 03:26:45 AM »

I do hope we get mining at some point.

But mining drones could also just be the drones (fighter wing without pilot losses) of the low tech variety.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 10:32:03 AM »

I'm pretty sure we will. Freighters have unusually high FP to limit what a trader can carry, and mining drones are limited to make mining fleets weaker in combat.
I think ships like the Venture, Buffalo and the Lasher won't be very expensive- yes they're good but high tech ships have advantages over them. They're supposed to be ubitiquous anyway.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 10:56:25 AM »

I guess the Venture will lose some carrying capacity, it doesn't seem like it'll be a rare ship and gimping it in combat seems like the wrong approach too.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 11:05:06 AM »

Yes please. I am fine with this. But combat nerf would be sad.  :(
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 03:46:57 PM »

I absolutely agree on keeping the Venture's combat stats the same. Its kind of a unique ship combat wise and I would hate to see its niche left empty.
Pages: 1 [2]