Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Taking defense fleets within FP limits  (Read 3443 times)

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Taking defense fleets within FP limits
« on: May 03, 2012, 12:56:48 PM »

So... how exactly do I take on the system defense fleets within the new FP limits? I always get slaughtered.

Coolrah

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Taking defense fleets within FP limits
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 01:01:59 PM »

Cap all the points then just rush their fleets with bombers and capitals there ships will trickle in 1 by 1 allowing you to take them out easily
Its always a good day to die

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 01:29:25 PM »

So Piranha spam I guess... what capitals should I be using then? Or cruisers?

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 02:12:20 PM »

I never had a problem with it, though I did have some non-vanilla stuff. Just sent out fighters to cap the points and keep the big ships distracted while nailing them with the even bigger guns

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 02:58:34 PM »

It seems pretty easy with:

- Conquest - player piloted, use long-range weapons(with range extension) to kite the big ships. (burst PD to deal with missiles).
- Odyssey - armed with Tachyon Lances & Pilums, and rallied a fair distance out on the opposite flank to your Conquest. (so it can get some nice tachyon snipes to their rear as forced to turn to defend your Conquest kiting)
- (optional) Couple of Tempests to distract & harass(to keep their shields up).
- A mix of fast fighters; wasps, thunders or talons for taking command points quickly
- (optional) a few bomber wings, though I don't find them particularly effective and the micro they require chews through your Command Points.

Begin by opening with your with your Conquest, ~5 wings of fighters and your Odyssey if you've got the OP for it. (if not, deploy it once you've taken your first obj.)
After that, just fill out with your remaining ships as you capture more objs.
Unless you've got overwhelming odds - keep your fighters away from the enemy capital ship's flak.
The only thing to really be careful of getting caught off-guard by a few enemy bomber wings.

With this mix I don't usually lose more than 1 or 2 wings of fighters against a full strength Hegemony defence force.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 04:34:38 PM »

I haven't tried the Hegemony fleets yet as I want to be friendly with them this game. Against the TT big fleets I can win handily with only a few fighter losses (most of the time):

1 Hammerhead (I fly it - no missiles- either 2 HM, or 1 HM one needler or HVD)
1 Venture (flaks, missiles, heavy blaster, heavy armor)
1 Eagle (3 gravs, 2 autocannons, 1 Heavy mauler, no missiles)

2 Broadswords
3 Wasps
3 Piranhas  - I rarely use more than 2 strikes, but man do they help against Capital ships. ~3 CP per battle

(a little under the hangar limit)

Total: ~75 FP

Its a very balanced fleet thats highly synergistic - I've taken out the triple capital ship formations (Paragon, Odyssey, Astral) with support fighters, frigates, and medusas. I find the key is to not rush for capping the far points because the enemy will often overwhelm single fighters. The Eagle has suddenly turned into a very nice ship of the line, although it has a habit of trying to solo Paragons. Using the Hammerhead to flank and pound enemies whose shields are brought down by the Eagle or Broadswords is incredibly effective. Multiple capital ships is hard because it takes a long time for the bombers to reload: another Venture would be awesome. Letting the Venture get in close and help is key - the thing is capital ship armor so can take a pounding. My losses almost entirely come from taking down the Paragon in the end - man those things are deadly to fighters!

I think it would work very nicely against the Hegemony as well due to the bombers, but I could be wrong. I would adjust the Eagle loadout to more HE though.

Midline all the way! Woooo!

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 10:26:23 AM »

I have started hoarding the ships mentioned~
well, I guess this is what we get for complaining that late game is just a massive curbstomp party.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 10:43:01 AM »

I find the key is to not rush for capping the far points because the enemy will often overwhelm single fighters.

Against Tri Tachyon I agree, against Hegemony you can afford to rush the far points as well. Their lighter units aren't really a threat to wasps or high tech frigates so your advance units can pull back long before they are in danger. By the time the heavies get in combat range you should have your Conquest in position.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 02:42:19 PM »

I can't get any ballistic longrange... the Gauss Cannons appear to have vanished after the patch.