Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Hound won't attack in 0.52  (Read 5436 times)

JookySeaCpt

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Hound won't attack in 0.52
« on: May 01, 2012, 11:15:23 AM »

I just fired up the new version of Starfarer. I purchased a Hound and kitted it out, but quickly discovered that it would not attack or fire weapons, even when directly ordered to do so. It worked fine once I took direct control, but it will not fight on its own. I have tried a couple of different weapon loadouts in case there was something wrong with a particular gun, but it doesn't seem to help. I do not know if this is related to the issue in this thread:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=1471.msg15797;topicseen#msg15797

which reports a nearly identical problem from 0.51a

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Hound won't attack in 0.52
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 11:25:18 AM »

Hi there - can you be a bit more specific about the circumstances? It certainly does attack in the general case - i.e., the stock loadout with the Assault Chaingun - and I've made sure that the Thumper works on it, too.

Just tested again to make absolutely sure, and it seems to be working fine. Must be something more specific.

Or, perhaps the Hound is simply keeping away from the fight because it's outmatched?

I'd appreciate more info on the details.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 11:53:08 AM »

Enemy hounds do attack as normal. (just adding this for what it's worth)

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 02:28:32 PM »

I think they are way more aggressive and attack A LOT more now then in 0.51a.

It was almost a bug before, now they act like Hounds. Priceless.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 02:52:18 PM »

They do seem a bit more aggressive than before the patch, they still attacked a healthy wolf frigate when they had next to know hull left, and they could've out-run me if they wanted to as well.  Or maybe that's because it was a pirate. ;D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 03:13:53 PM »

I had one run into my medusa eating full frontal lasery death. Plus the extra range on my beams really isn't helping them either.

jet36

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 06:03:21 PM »

Yes this happened to me too, but only when they where on my side. I have a Lasher and a hound vs a hound and a lasher my i ordered my hound to attack the other hound but it would mostly just avoid it at most and barley ever go right to it.

Alrenous

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 02:16:10 AM »

I've got a Hound to act like this by giving it a shorter range weapon. It won't ever approach another Hound, presumably because it is trying to stay out of a place it can get shot but can't shoot back.

JookySeaCpt

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 08:47:24 PM »

Sorry for the delay. To clarify: enemy hounds were plenty aggressive, but mine would circle without shooting, or take evasive action. This was early in the campaign, so the opposition was hounds and lashes with some fighters thrown in. I tried two hounds with different load outs before giving up on them. One had a thumper, the other I don't recall. Neither had the default assault chain gun. Perhaps as mentioned above they were avoiding due to a range issue, but it still sucked to be left to fight an enemy lasher one on one while my hound ally flew epicycles around the map without shooting. I'll test it out more tomorrow if I get the chance, and try to replicate the bug.

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 05:43:53 AM »

I noticed this behavior with a Lasher aswell.

My fleet consisted of 2 Lashers, near but I had replaced Assault guns with machine guns.

Had 1 enemy hound left and while it was attacking me like it should, I was attacking back and so on..

My Ally Lasher just kept circling around and around doing nothing. he was at full armor and hull, had a full loadout of weapons and hullmods.

Once I had gotten the hound down to around 15% hp, he charges in an fires all his harpoons as fast as he could.. bastard stole my kill while he let me do all the hard work... :P

Next fight he was acting normal again from what I could tell.. (I was off dealing with ships of my own)

But something seems wonky with the AI
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 09:42:50 AM »

Ah, I see.

They're trying to flank the enemy - you can either work with them on that (and they'll attack when they're roughly on the other side), or you can give an "Intercept" assignment to make them commit to an attack immediately, without trying to flank.

figvam

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 03:19:59 AM »

Maybe such subtleties in assignments should be documented somewhere...

Alrenous

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 05:58:28 AM »

I think I've got a Paragon to do the same thing.

Paragon vs. Paragon mission mod.

If the other Paragon gets the sensor array, the player Paragon on autopilot will not engage it. It will just wander randomly around the map, occasionally taking tachyon potshots if it sees the other Paragon. Without an engage command, anyway, which, ironically, it seems to usually win.

In related news if I refit it to have harpoons it will almost never use the harpoons.

I'll keep testing to see if I can coax it into acting sensibly.

Edit: the tachyon lances alone, without the sensor array, seem to be enough to make 'search and destroy' useless. It just runs away from the other Paragon until it can't see it, then wanders randomly.

Grabbing the sensor array myself makes the other Paragon run away and refuse to engage, making it almost completely incapable of harming me.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 06:06:13 AM by Alrenous »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 12:44:51 PM »

Thanks for bringing that up - as it turns out, that's unrelated to the OP, despite being a similar problem. A combination of omni shields and a capital-sized hull was causing the AI to pick improper maneuvers - now fixed.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 12:51:05 PM »

I think they are way more aggressive and attack A LOT more now then in 0.51a.

It was almost a bug before, now they act like Hounds. Priceless.

Excellent.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 01:32:38 PM by Upgradecap »