Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Custom Ships - Defining Bounds for *.ship data  (Read 4898 times)

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
Custom Ships - Defining Bounds for *.ship data
« on: July 05, 2011, 08:37:26 AM »

Until an official tool editor is released, I believe this method to be the fastest and most accurate way to define the vertices of the bounding polygon for your custom ship. I know a lot of newer folks have been asking about it.

Use Paint.NET for this, and a spreadsheet editor of your choice; I prefer OpenOffice.org Calc, and I export to .CSV when I'm finished recording and calculating bounds. Paint.NET will tell you the position of your cursor in the bottom right, even if the focus is on another window, so in this way you can efficiently record bounds points.

Update: I made a correction to the calculation of the "center" position. I had the origin in an incorrect location relative to the ship.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 07:44:31 AM by Trylobot »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Ships - Defining Bounds
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 08:52:40 AM »

Very nice! Stickied :D

While we're on the subject, let me mention one more thing - there's also a "shieldCenter" which defines the point around which the shield fans out. The circle defined by shieldCenter + shieldRadius must be fully within the circle defined by center + collisionRadius, collisions with any portions of the shields outside those bounds will be missed.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
Re: Custom Ships - Defining Bounds for *.ship data
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 07:45:49 AM »

Update: I corrected the origin location for the purposes of calculating the "center" position. Sorry for any confusion that may have caused anyone.

And of course if you notice any other inaccuracies, PM me and I'll fix them for the benefit of all.

Sandremo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 12:14:08 PM »

I wish i'd had the skill to add a higaaran battlecruiser or something like that from homeworld 2 8D would something totally awesome! <3

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 01:21:16 PM »

It should be pretty easy given some of the other ships people have put in. As a testament to simple Hiigaran design, their battlecruiser is mostly a flat, flightly pointed rectangle with only the side bridge and the engine section interupting the design a bit.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"