Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.34a (Released) - Patch Notes  (Read 114567 times)

Fishbreath

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.34a - Live Patch Notes
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2011, 11:28:26 AM »

A month is a fairly long release cycle, but then again, maybe I'm used to thinking of it in terms of full-time work. Any previews on what bigger things you're planning to add?

mecharm

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2011, 12:05:27 PM »

I don't think you need any artificial rule on how often should patches get released.

Let it be an organic process, add stuff you guys wish to add, and when it achieves critical mass, release it.

Obviously, big things need more time, but when you see things are getting slow, or need some "you guys are awesome" from the community, you can throw us some smaller bugfixing ones :)

TescoBag

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2011, 02:48:37 AM »

Looks like you're keeping yourself busy Alex!

That's a lot of changes considering your release wasn't all that long ago!

Do you have any sort of timeline planned for what you're doing with the game?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2011, 08:17:44 AM »

Any previews on what bigger things you're planning to add?

Well, no specific timelines, but in the near-to-mid term the plan is:
1. Release 0.34a - main features are improved modding support and general usability (AI, UI, etc)
2. Flagship refit screen for 0.35a. Possibly with some kind of simple metagame around it to unlock stuff to equip, but don't hold me to that. The idea is not to spend much time on it as it's really tangential to the game proper (where the refit screen itself is absolutely core).
3. First implementation of "layer 2" (meta layer, travel layer, whatever you want to call it) for 0.36a. It will be very constrained and used as a base to continue adding layer 2 features on to in subsequent versions.

I don't think you need any artificial rule on how often should patches get released.

Let it be an organic process, add stuff you guys wish to add, and when it achieves critical mass, release it.

Yeah, for sure. Just in some cases, its possible to plan things out so that releases are more frequent than if things were done in a different order. So I'll try to aim for that :)

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2011, 09:23:35 AM »

;D
I'm quite excited!

TescoBag

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2011, 09:35:59 AM »

Any previews on what bigger things you're planning to add?

Well, no specific timelines, but in the near-to-mid term the plan is:
1. Release 0.34a - main features are improved modding support and general usability (AI, UI, etc)
2. Flagship refit screen for 0.35a. Possibly with some kind of simple metagame around it to unlock stuff to equip, but don't hold me to that. The idea is not to spend much time on it as it's really tangential to the game proper (where the refit screen itself is absolutely core).
3. First implementation of "layer 2" (meta layer, travel layer, whatever you want to call it) for 0.36a. It will be very constrained and used as a base to continue adding layer 2 features on to in subsequent versions.

Yeah, for sure. Just in some cases, its possible to plan things out so that releases are more frequent than if things were done in a different order. So I'll try to aim for that :)

You're very driven, i'm impressed.

You're not exactly Notch ;)

Also, the 0.34a patch notes, are those things you've already changed or are they what you plan to do? If you have done that much in such a short time then I am very, very impressed.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2011, 10:09:34 AM »

All that stuff's already done - hence, "live" patch notes. Probably looks like more than it is, a lot of the items are relatively minor.

You're not exactly Notch ;)

Aww, no love for notch? Personally, I'm amazed he has time to get any coding done at all, with all the other running-a-company-and-doing-PR stuff he now has to do. It's a lot easier to get stuff done when a few million people aren't watching your every move, you know ;)

mecharm

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2011, 10:44:15 AM »

I think I'm going to love the content section the most... :D

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2011, 11:13:12 AM »

You were asking about the live-patch format earlier. It just occurred to me that when updating larger patch notes (like the one that is currently growing), it may be a nice touch to prefix each line with the date that the update was added so that people can more easily check out the new additions.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »

You were asking about the live-patch format earlier. It just occurred to me that when updating larger patch notes (like the one that is currently growing), it may be a nice touch to prefix each line with the date that the update was added so that people can more easily check out the new additions.

Good idea! I'll try that, and see if having to prepend a date to every new entry will sap my will to live. That does seem necessary though. Either that, or I have to make a release and start with a fresh list :)

SeaBee

• Commander
  • The stars are ... alive and breathing
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2011, 12:19:10 AM »

That screenshot is HOT. Loving the new additions.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2011, 12:32:12 AM »

Screenshot? O_O
Must see!

mecharm

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2011, 12:32:53 AM »

Medium-level mission!  :D

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2011, 12:36:55 AM »

Yay! we can use open/libre office with the cvs files!

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2011, 02:06:50 AM »

New ships are looking good  ;D

Who's doing the graphics programming? I really like the overblown bloom-ish quality of the effects.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8