Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: the caravan new faction work in progress alpha out  (Read 19144 times)

vagyr

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
the caravan new faction work in progress alpha out
« on: April 30, 2012, 02:44:04 AM »

Download alpha mission (fixed sound path issue)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qu8eo0miw30tdj/test%20A.rar

Current features
Added mission "faction_test" its purpose is to showcase the available ships.
Added 5 ships the gauss destroyer the gauss frigate the light and heavy missile ships and a missile destroyer.
Added "caravan gauss cannon" light and heavy variants a long range weapon meant to kill running enemies and 2 missile launchers for the new ships to use.
Close to vanilla balanced (will improve balancing on further releases)
No campaign integration at the moment.

Hello all I was lurking for a while and this is my first post...
Anyway this is going to be a new faction I wanted to make, its based on missile weapons and shields with ships having very low armor and it should have a feel of modular ship designs.
There will be 4 main ship types frigates cruisers battleships and 2 flagships along with a few fighters. Its sorta inspired from homeworld as far as the weapon styles go with prolonged missile barrages and
a few heavy hitting cannons.

Heavy missile frigate Light missile frigate      Light carrier

Attack corvette

So what is different compared to other ship designs?
If we take for example the light missile cruiser its armament is X4 medium missile launchers X3 point defense lasers and X1 coil gun mounded on the "spine" of the ship ( it will be a hardpoint so you will need to turn the ship around to hit things). Those kind of stuff require very little actual flux so the main use for flux on this faction's ships is to keep the shields up. The ships will have above average shields but their armor is
going to be very minimal so if anything catches them with their shields down they will be able to make short work out of them.

What will the mod have to offer?
New missile systems (probably going to be race specific if I can find out a way to do it)
New point defense  and heavy hitting weapons
4 frigates, 3 cruisers (refined on the sprites shown here) 1 battleship and 2 flagships (one flagship will be a carrier the second will be more attack orientated) and a couple of fighters and corvettes (a fighter group but slightly bigger sized ships and only 2 of them)
And most importantly a (hopefully) slightly different play style based around avoiding enemy fire and long range missile bombardment.

Yes its a kitbash but I'm not that good at making sprites so it will let me actually create the ships within the year if it piece them together from preexisting stuff.
The main reason that I made this thread is for motivation seeing how lazy I can be if I have no clear deadlines on me...

Hope you guys like it please feel free to offer comments and ideas on how this faction will be shaped.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 12:41:00 AM by vagyr »

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: new faction work in progress
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 03:04:02 AM »

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forums! :)

And the faction itself has some great permises, but i wonder if you have the technological know-how to fulfill your dreams about the faction :)
Best of luck to you and the faction ;)

vagyr

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 08:38:32 AM »

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forums! :)

And the faction itself has some great permises, but i wonder if you have the technological know-how to fulfill your dreams about the faction :)
Best of luck to you and the faction ;)

Well I found how to make a weapon that is only usable for my faction (glitchy but hey it works) and thanks to Redbull and his editor I can easily piece out the basic ship layouts to help me place the
boundaries of the ships easily. Should have a functioning alpha by next week I think featuring the ships posted with custom weapons in a few missions to show them off. Should be a good starting point.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 04:16:51 PM »

The ships have an interesting feel to them, but I think they could use a little more 'meat.' Right now, they look like they'll snap like a twig if they come under any significant fire. The fighter looks neat though.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 04:31:24 PM »

Though the fighter does look a little out-of-place considering the rest of the art.

vagyr

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 12:27:10 AM »

yep the whole "breaking like a twig" thing is pretty much dead on for the majority of the ships.
They will have very high shields but their weapons will require very low flux (or no flux for missiles) and will have very low flux dissipation as well so shields will regenerate very slowly, but if you manage
to hit their armor it will very quickly come off and the ship will get destroyed. My only problem now is that they tend to get destroyed by asteroids since ships do not raise shields when an asteroid is about
to collide with them.

EDIT to prevent topic spam.

Do you guys feel that the fighter style/shape is out of place or the color?
I kinda like the style (as well as reusing old stuff I have) but if it does not match the faction style it will get sacked probably to ensure that the ships have a common theme.
Also yeah the heavy missile frigate is too bland since I have not gone around putting in where the missile pods/sensor arrays and all that fluff on it hopefully it will look more interesting later on.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 12:50:38 AM by vagyr »

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 12:29:29 AM »

I agree about the fighter, maybe even if it was just beige like the ships.

I like them though, nice little personality. Although, I'll say that the largest is too repetitive; the look of the Corvette and Light Missile Frigate is good.

vagyr

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 06:00:47 AM »

So a question for long term feature im planning.
I know you can add a station for your faction etc but is it possible to change the texture of the station to something else?

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 06:41:45 AM »

Not currently, but I imagine it won't be very long at all until it's possible.

vagyr

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 08:13:40 AM »

Quick update with new ships and some remaking of previous sprites
from top left to bottom right.
Heavy missile cruiser, Missile destroyer, carrier variant
Heavy missile frigate, gauss frigate, attack frigate, light gauss frigate
Assault fighter, light defender fighter.

Checklist so far
Create gauss cannon system                             *Done
Create heavy and light unguided missile system     *Done
Create guided missile system                             *Not complete
Create point defence systems                            *Done
Add the heavy cruiser in the game                      *Not complete
Add the missile destroyer in the game                  *Done
Add the carrier variant in game                           *Not complete
Add frigates in game                                         *added missile frigate and gauss frigates in game
Add fighters in game                                         *Not done
Create sprites for battleships and                        *Not done (probably will take a while)
flagships

So far I've managed to make the ships act the way stated but i managed to fall into a unique problem...
The ships hold well on their own against enemy ships but they refuse to raise their shields when an asteroid comes into view so you can see a ship that can from one hand destroy a capital ship (with some effort)
disintegrate under a small space rock. Its a rather awkward end to them.
Planned demo missions are going to be released by the end of the week.

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 12:34:16 AM »

I believe the issue with the asteroids was just resolved in 52.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 02:37:07 PM »

Welcome, vagyr.

I'm of the opinion that factions should have a unifying visual theme to make them distinct, and you definitely fulfill that. And it seems like you have a solid plan for your fleet, so I'll sit back and see where you take us.

vagyr

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 12:35:16 PM »

bump for alpha releace.
Right this is a very barebones version of what is to come. Includes the gauss frigate,missile frigate,gauss destroyer and missile destroyer along with the heavy missile cruiser in a single mission. Its mostly out as a
proof of concept and to give an idea of the basic feel of the faction. Balance is a bit off but its fairly decent. Hope you guys like it. Also the name of the faction is "the caravan" man im original.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8qu8eo0miw30tdj/test%20A.rar

Things that are wrong and/or missing.
Missing correct engine trails/placements.
No advanced missiles.
Movement of ships still a bit off (its getting there but the slow ships are just a smudge too fast and the fast ships a bit too slow).
Need to add all ships and implement 3 extra weapons.
Improve the way the weapons are added to hull.
Misc stuff and anything you guys think that should change

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: the caravan new faction work in progress alpha out
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 02:41:05 PM »

just here to let you know, you made a little boo boo in your config file that gives the game an error :P

you mistyped the file location of the sound effect it should be

"

{
   "fire1":[
      {"file":"sounds/fx/fire1.ogg","pitch":1,"volume":0.31},
   ],      
}

"

cheers, I'm off to gives this a spin :D

vagyr

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: the caravan new faction work in progress alpha out
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 12:41:53 AM »

derp...
Fixed. Weirdly enough never had an issue with that path when I was testing it...
Bizarre.
Pages: [1] 2 3