Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ingame simulator needed to understand mechanics and for better game experience  (Read 3117 times)

Sfaus

• Ensign
    • View Profile

In the beginning, i apologize for my english.

I'm confused and overwhelmed by the loads of ships, weapons ans other stuff. It's so painfull to get through all of this descriptions, classifications and so on. Actually, after 20+ hours in game i still don't familiar with the true core of battle and don't have full understanding of my actions. So, the solution of these cases is the ingame battle simulator. And dialogs like this will never happen anymore:

From YouTube:
Conversation 1:
"- Oi, Frank, our friend got his ass kicked over there, let's help him.
- Ok, but do u know how to tell this thing to go there? These buttons only make it go to the rally point...
- Well, let's change the rally point then."
Conversation 2:
"- Wow, this cruiser is nice! What can it do, what weapons do they have, do they kick ass?
- Um...I dont know. Try the button over there, Hans.
- Wut!!! It fires? torpedos! COOL!"

How should simulator work? It's launches battle with settings specified by the player. It's general purpose is give the ability to the player to test his ships and guns in action, and to test player's guesses and tactics. Player should manage all the simulator's options, e.g. restart battle, change the quantity of enemy and friendly ships, change any ship set-up. At this point i don't see it fully finished in my mind. Maybe, simulator should contain only stuff that player have already seen before, or every item in the game. Simulator's tab can be placed among other tabs of "TAB"-button menu.

Sorry, if it's already suggested i can't handle the whole forum info.

P.S. It's the type of the games i've didn't see in a lo-o-o-o-ong, lo-o-o-o-ong time and i like Starfarer!

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile

The simulator is in the next patch, out in 2-7 days.

Sfaus

• Ensign
    • View Profile

It's pretty cool.

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Wait, there's a simulator?
...I love you Alex

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile

REALLY!? I heard that somewhere else too.... Is this just a guess at this point or is it confirmed?
mmm.... tartiflette

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=1869.0

UI improvements:
  • Added "Run Simulation" option to the refit screen (deploys current variant, lets you pick some opponents)
  • Trade UI changes
    • Presents the tabbed UI, allows to switch between different tabs while trading
    • Can refit ship while docked with station and purchase weapons from station from the refit screen
  • Added "refit ships" option to orbital station dialog
    • Ship refitted at a station are fully fitted immediately and do not need to wait a few days for hullmods to take effect
  • Updated look and feel of refit UI to match the rest of the UI better
  • Added tooltip with detailed ship stats to refit UI (hover over OP bar to see)
  • Added arc indicator to weapon list in weapon group dialog (so you can tell which weapon is which in cases where it's ambiguous)
  • Can set groups to have autofire toggled on automatically before battle
    • Stock variants adjusted to set groups to do this where appropriate
  • Opening the refit tab when coming from the fleet tab pre-selects the moused over ship
  • For UI consistency, pressing TAB no longer closes the map when on the map tab
  • Added detail of what crew level does to tooltip
  • Saves zoom level in the campaign, and zoom level and view location in the campaign map
  • Added tooltips for fuel/cargo/personnel/fleet points/hangar space with breakdown of related information
  • Ammo counter now shows 4 digits

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile

oops.... meant the release date -_-

i knew the feature was there...
mmm.... tartiflette

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile

Updated patch notes. Likely the last update before 0.52a is out - mostly small tweaks and testing from here on out. Projected release of 0.52a is sometime next week... unless it's not.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile

nice, thx a lot
mmm.... tartiflette

Cryten

• Commander
    • View Profile

I ran a starfarer tutorial for the first version of Starfarer campaign map that a little out of date under the name of Cryten0 on youtube. Though it wasnt as indepth as telling you about all the buttons and weapons. If I did a new tutorial about all those items it would have to be a bit more of a stablised version where the numbers wernt changing as much as they do now.

Allready between 51a the lasher has gone from ebing the single best starter ship to one of the hardest ones (due to becoming quite slow), small slot ballistics went from being brillant to really fiddly (which is about to change again with range boosts) and fighters ships went from being wasp dominated to being thunder dominated to being broadsword dominated.

So a comprehensive tutorial is a bit off atm.