Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Ship BalanceSuite 5000 v1.6  (Read 60327 times)

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
Ship BalanceSuite 5000 v1.6
« on: April 28, 2012, 07:30:20 AM »

This suite is a dynamic Excel sheet with a variety of tools in it to help you balance your ship mods.  Once you input your mod's ship_data, the graphs and tools will automatically calculate a mystical Fleetpoint Combat Score for each ship along with other useful data values available throughout the suite.

Simply input your mod's ship_data by pasting it in the mod ship data section starting at row 163 and everything is ready to go!
As you edit your ship's values, the graphs will update on the fly, allowing you to better tune your ships with vanilla ones.

The Fleetpoint Combat Score takes the following attributes into account:
fleetpts, hitpoints, armor rating, max flux, flux dissipation, ordinance, max speed, acceleration, deceleration, max turn, turn acceleration, shield upkeep, shield efficiency, cargo size, hangar size

Current Tools:
Relative Ship Comparison Tool
Spoiler
This tool allows you to compare up to four ships simultaneously by some of the game's most critical attributes.
[close]
Dynamic Fleetpoint Combat Value Graph
Spoiler
For every ship, the suite determines its combat effectiveness per cost of fleetpoints, called the Fleetpoint Combat Value.  This is a great tool to quickly modify a ship's stats to bring its Fleetpoint Combat Value in line with a corresponding vanilla ship.
[close]
Recomended Base Value & Price Checker
Spoiler
Calculates a ship's recommended value based on magic math and compares that with its current base value.
[close]

Changelog:
Code
BalanceSuite 5000 v1.6
-Fixed shield efficiency calculation to interpret shield values correctly
-Replaced trendlines with fleetpoint lines to better communicate that you're comparing ships of similar fleetpoint value and not the mod against vanilla as a whole
-Added notes column to explain ship outliers
/////////////////////////////////
BalanceSuite 5000 v1.5
-Increased accuracy of recommended price for carriers and ships with large hangars
-Added price checker colors to recommended price special stats column to ease mass correcting of prices
BalanceSuite 5000 v1.4
-Agility and Cargo are now taken into account when calculating the combat value and recommended base value
-Recommended base value adjusted to be more accurate per fleetpoint
-Added Relative Balance Checker tool to compare fleetpoint-adjusted combat value side by side in the ship comparison tool
BalanceSuite 5000 v1.3
-Integrated Recommended Base Value into Price Checker Tool cell U85
BalanceSuite 5000 v1.2
-Added Recommended Base Value in Special Stats area
-Hangar bay size beyond 25 is taken into consideration when calculating the aggregate score
BalanceSuite 5000 v1.1
-Integrated Shield balancing, now computes in aggregate score
-Changed the Combat-Fleetpoint Performance Graph to now take fleetpoints into consideration.

Note: you may need Excel 2007+ and/or the XYChartLabler addon to view graph ship labels.

In hopes that it will generate community pressure to keep mods vanilla-balanced, this seal is available to balanced mods using the BalanceSuite 5000.
FLAUNT YOUR BALANCING, SUPPORT A CAUSE:

Code
Forum code:
[url=http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=2382.msg31058#msg31058][img]http://i.imgur.com/F215u.png[/img][/url]

Download BalanceSuite 5000 v1.6

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/66999462/BalanceSUITE_v1.6.xlsx
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 05:19:47 AM by keptin »

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer Ship Balance Suite v1.0
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 07:53:51 AM »

I can comfirm that this method works on OpenOffice, though i can't understand this method particulairly well, but i'm going to use it anyway ;)

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 07:59:17 AM »

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. 

While I had my doubts about how helpful it'd be, once I plugged everything in it was obvious which ships were in need of buffing/nerfing and with it all dynamically calculating I was able to change a number of values slightly and balance it in seconds.

Vordhosbn88

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 08:03:05 AM »

Fantastic  ;D I really hope that people are going to start using this for mod-balancing, I find the vanilla game kind of boring, but modded games unpredictable due to a lack of balancing.
Breaker breaker - come in earth, this is rocket ship 27... Aliens *** over the carbonator on engine number 4, i'm gonna try to re-fuckulate it and land us on Juniper, uh.. hopefully they got some space weed... over.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 08:05:11 AM »

Yeah, but i didn't quite get where you'd paste your mods ship data in. Is it in the open program or the files of it?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 08:05:28 AM »

Wow! Looks very well done!

I do note a few oddities, such as the Brawler being ranked very high - how much is speed factored in?

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 08:09:49 AM »

Neither speed nor shields are factored in yet, which explains the hound.  The Brawler is just damn good value.  Currently it takes fleetpts, hitpoints, armor rating, max flux, flux dissipation, and ordinance into account.  If people show interest in it I'll dev it further and tidy it up.

Yeah, but i didn't quite get where you'd paste your mods ship data in. Is it in the open program or the files of it?

It's an .xmlx file, open it using Excel (it may or may not be compatible with Open Office) and follow the instructions up top.  Your ship's data is found in the ship_data.csv file in the data/hulls folder.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 08:36:18 AM by keptin »

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 09:08:12 AM »

Wow man. Just wow. K-64 is doing a similar job (thank you K-64!), but you are far ahead in this sheet! I'll abuse of this for Uomoz's Corvus price balancing.

Dohon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 09:14:52 AM »

This is mind-boggingly awesome work.
Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war! - Battlecry of the Salamanders, Space Marine Chapter, Warhammer 40.000. [...] for in the grim dark future there is only war.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 09:36:52 AM »

Too bad, Openoffice doesn't support XYChartLabler. Uomoz is sad :(

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 09:41:38 AM »

Too bad, Openoffice doesn't support XYChartLabler. Uomoz is sad :(

WHAAAT?? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  :'(

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 11:08:06 AM »

Do you need it?  I'm not sure what the graphs look like if you don't have it...do they not have any names next to the scatter plot dots?

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 11:10:45 AM »

They have the values, like 778.3, 627.3 etc.

Downloading Office 2010, my mother have an original Cd-Key.

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer Ship Balance Suite v1.1
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 11:56:10 AM »

BalanceSuite v1.1 posted

Code
BalanceSuite v1.1
-Changed the Combat-Fleetpoint Performance Graph to now take fleetpoints into consideration.

I'm working on a recommended base value (price) tool, but it's a *** to work out.  This thing is like 85% bad math.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer Ship Balance Suite v1.1
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 12:07:47 PM »

BalanceSuite v1.1 posted

Code
BalanceSuite v1.1

I'm working on a recommended base value (price) tool, but it's a *** to work out.  This thing is like 85% bad math.

Yay!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6