Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Ship BalanceSuite 5000 v1.6  (Read 60479 times)

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Ship BalanceSuite v1.4
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2012, 11:52:42 AM »

BalanceSuite v1.5 is up!

Code
BalanceSuite v1.5
-Increased accuracy of recommended price for carriers and ships with large hangars
-Added price checker colors to recommended price special stats column to ease mass correcting of prices

The problem is that some things (like the background of the ship, and the way the attributes work together) can't be accounted for with formulae.
Still, this gets you 95% of the way to a properly balanced mod. So thumbs up.

I completely agree, there are many factors that need to be taken into account that a tool just can't 1, 2, 3, bam, magically balance for.  Ship size, weapon mounts, weapons, weapon arcs, etc.  My hopes are that this tool will give modders ballpark figures to help avoid cases where modded ships are overwhelmingly OP.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 01:25:42 PM by keptin »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2012, 05:16:12 PM »

BalanceSuite v1.5 is up!

Code
BalanceSuite v1.5
-Increased accuracy of recommended price for carriers and ships with large hangars
-Added price checker colors to recommended price special stats column to ease mass correcting of prices

The problem is that some things (like the background of the ship, and the way the attributes work together) can't be accounted for with formulae.
Still, this gets you 95% of the way to a properly balanced mod. So thumbs up.

I completely agree, there are many factors that need to be taken into account that a tool just can't 1, 2, 3, bam, magically balance for.  Ship size, weapon mounts, weapons, weapon arcs, etc.  My hopes are that this tool will give modders ballpark figures to help avoid cases where modded ships are overwhelmingly OP.

I also hope modders will use this! I spent a bit of time today playing with mods... I didn't find a single one where the ships weren't so ridiculously overpowered that the vanilla ships were unplayable. Just ugg. Keep up the good work!

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2012, 05:31:31 PM »

I didn't find a single [mod] where the ships weren't so ridiculously overpowered that the vanilla ships were unplayable. Just ugg. Keep up the good work!

This is a perfect time to plug my favorite mods:

Interstellar Federation, http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=2012.0

And the highly recommended

Uomoz's Factions Collection, http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=1799.0
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 05:33:13 PM by keptin »

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: BalanceSuite 5000 v1.5
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2012, 07:26:49 PM »

Added BalanceSuite 5000 seal to the front page for mods with vanilla-balanced ships in hopes that it will generate community pressure to keep mods balanced.  Flaunt your balancing, support a cause.

Code
[url=http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=2382.msg31058#msg31058][img]http://i.imgur.com/F215u.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 07:30:18 PM by keptin »

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer Ship Balance Suite v1.0
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2012, 12:52:15 AM »

Too bad, Openoffice doesn't support XYChartLabler. Uomoz is sad :(

Yes, so am I. :'( Not a single copy of Excel in this house; LibreOffice only. Damn. :-\
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

Apophis

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Ship BalanceSuite 5000 v1.5
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2012, 01:18:55 AM »

In balancesuit opinion my mod weapons pack is perfectly balanced  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2012, 01:21:02 AM »

Have you tried opening it? My understanding is that OpenOffice opens it, but just doesn't show the ship labels.  There are many other tools in the suite.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2012, 01:34:09 AM »

Have you tried opening it? My understanding is that OpenOffice opens it, but just doesn't show the ship labels.  There are many other tools in the suite.
Yeah, looks to me like the only problem is with the larger 'general balance' graph, and not knowing easily which ship is which by overall score.

I'm sure there must be a way round it, but I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

The radar graphs still work beautifully for direct comparisons of craft - I found it perfectly usable anyway, if not quite 100% compatible.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Aklyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2012, 01:03:54 PM »

Theres a difference between OO and LibreOffice, one has been updating and the other hasn't.

hairrorist

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2012, 02:12:38 PM »

That graph you posted is interesting, Apophis.  Seems that the tool undervalues flight decks and overvalues deadweight ships like the onslaught.

Apophis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2012, 02:55:59 PM »

I think it understimate the importance of armor and speed (it ignores flight decks)

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2012, 04:17:47 PM »

The line is a median trendline...I found it useful as a guide, but I might remove it if it's being interpreted as a "your mod is balanced" line.  It doesn't indicate overall balance because the trend is affected by weight, i.e., a mod with several 5 fleetpoint ships and 1 15 fleetpoint ship will have a skewed trendline.

As far as armor and speed, I standby its combat performance calculation.  The Onslaught is extremely effective, more so than what it's valued at.  A fleet of them will destroy an equivalently priced fleet of nearly any other capital ship.  My testing has thus far concluded that armor is the single greatest combat factor in large scale fleet engagements.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 06:14:09 PM by keptin »

hairrorist

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2012, 05:56:14 PM »

Interesting.  Maybe its just my hatred for them coloring my thinking :)

hairrorist

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2012, 02:08:28 PM »

Anyone know what mods fit pretty well with Vanilla these days?  Scavengers seems pretty balanced.   Starfarer Plus has a few ships that are really out of line like the buckler frigate.

We should get a list going.  Maybe in the stickied Master Mod List thread we could separate Vanilla Balanced mods.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2012, 02:15:34 PM »

Anyone know what mods fit pretty well with Vanilla these days?  Scavengers seems pretty balanced.   Starfarer Plus has a few ships that are really out of line like the buckler frigate.

We should get a list going.  Maybe in the stickied Master Mod List thread we could separate Vanilla Balanced mods.

Check again :D it's already that way.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6