Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

Would you like to see...

more frigates
- 6 (4.7%)
more destroyers
- 10 (7.8%)
more cruisers
- 40 (31%)
more weapons
- 43 (33.3%)
more lore/ information
- 17 (13.2%)
more portraits
- 7 (5.4%)
more little stuff, custom names etc.
- 6 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37

Author Topic: Antediluvians - Under Development - (Dev15)  (Read 234482 times)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
Antediluvians - Under Development - (Dev15)
« on: April 28, 2012, 07:01:08 AM »

Erick Doe's
ntediluvians
________

Download!

Features:
Spoiler
-custom portraits
-custom ships
-custom weapons and projectiles
-custom lore and descriptions
-custom sounds
-planet Atlantis
-custom missions + unique backgrounds
-vanilla balance!
[close]

Dev version 15
Spoiler
Tested with 0.54.1a!

Content:
-vanilla balanced gameplay
-campaign integrated
-4 missions + custom backgrounds and icons
-34 custom ships (4 F, 13 FF, 6 DD, 5 CL, 6 BB)
-3 factions (Antediluvians + two special sub-factions) + 1 planet and station, 9 different fleet types
-weapons now have visual recoil
-14 portraits (7 male, 7 female)
-custom sounds for weapons
-custom names and custom ship prefix
-supply convoys

To be fixed / added:
-more story-driven missions - IN PROGRESS

Download:
Download!

[close]

Prologue:
Spoiler
The aptly named world of Atlantis was an aquatic place. The planet's atmosphere constantly covered by perfect white clouds, continuously pouring crystal clear water down upon the planet's liquid surface. While land-mass was indeed present, it remained secluded and wholly covered by an endless ocean. Winds were calm, as was the water. It coloured a green-blue haze in the sun's basking light. Hence lending it its name of Celadon Sea.
Beneath the tranquil waves rested a city, colonized by teams of researchers. Cerulean City, home to many a brilliant aquatic scientist. Being secluded for so many cycles, the Antediluvians (as they started to call themselves) began harvesting algy. The algies of Atlantis were processed into foodpaste and a source of energy. Soon the Atlantean inhabitants would become completely independent and autonomous. No longer relying on supplies brought in by exterior colonies.

However, learning of the hostile strife between the forces outside of their planet, the Antediluvians soon sought to enhance their aquatic vehicles for space-bound warfare. Near-frigate sized submarinal vessels were equipped with ionized engines, able to breach the planet’s atmosphere. Great fans covered the outer parts of the engine-tubes, propelling ionized gasses in space, as it would push water in the oceans.
Few enhancements were necessary. As these ships were build to withstand the great pressures of Atlantis' oceans, and were equipped with ballistic systems fit to break rock and shatter the thick crust of Atlantis, during research missions. This would result in a series of heavily armoured space ships, fitted with high-pressure ballistics. Most of their weapons would be powered by ionized gasses, harvested from the very algae that is their foodstuff and source of oxygen.

Race:
Behavior:
Motto:
Traits:
Goals:
Antediluvians of Atlantis
Calculative. Plotting. Insidious.
Memento Ostium Athena!
Innovative, Resourceful, Swift and Practical.
Defense of Atlantis. Acquisition of knowledge.
[close]

Antediluvian ships are small but sturdy: (information on images may be dated)
Ships:

Frigates:
Atlantean frigates originated from Antediluvian submarinal designs. On average, these massive subs were over 100 meters in length and 25 meters wide. They were manufactured at Cerulean City's fixed Submarinal Moor. This shipyard was at one time considered to be massive, but by the advent of the extra-planetary wars, it was outdated and lacking in size. It offered space for the construction of a 120 by 40 meter vessel. Unfortunately, for a warship to be competitive in spacial warfare, wielding sufficient weapon- and engine power, it would require a hull larger than what this old shipyard could accommodate.
Spoiler

Column-class Satellite Length: 44m / Berth: 57m Rating: **

Donovan-class Frigate Length: 116m / Berth: 36m Rating: ***

Anchor-class Frigate Length: 105m / Berth: 35m Rating: *

Cape-class Frigate Length: 119m / Berth: 31m Rating: ***

Forlorn-class Frigate Length: 110m / Berth: 25m Rating: **

Sentinel-class Frigate Length: 114m / Berth: 23m Rating: **

Azores-class Frigate Length: 106m / Berth: 33m Rating: *

Bulwark-class Frigate Length 97m / Berth: 22m Rating: **

[close]

---

Destroyers:
Lacking the facilities and size to construct destroyer-classed hulls, the Cerulean Submarinal Moor was superceded by a floating shipyard. This floating manufacturing facility graced the waves of the Celadon Sea. No longer being attached to Cerulean City, construction crews would ferry over on Cape-classed ships. The Timaeus Moor was constructed to offer space for ships the size of 180 by 60 meters. Plans for this new floating shipyard were not unique, however. Cycles before the extra-planetary conflicts, scientists had already drawn up plans for a floating facility able to accomodate large sea-bound vessels.
Spoiler

Timaeus-class Destroyer Length: 168m / Berth: 41m Rating: ***

Critias-class Destroyer Length: 170m / Berth: 49m Rating: ***

Oracle-class Pocket Cruiser Length: 204m / Berth: 62m Rating: ****

Halyard-class Sonic Destroyer Length: 172m / Berth: 44m Rating: ****

Poseidon-class Satellite Length: 73m / Berth: 69m Rating: ***

[close]

---

Cruisers:
Dedicated Antediluvian cruisers were considered too massive to be launched to space from the Planetary-Launch System. Instead, these massive warships were constructed in orbit of the planet Atlantis. Great naval yards drifted through the celestial rotation. Often fashioned from makeshift materials, attached to Gibborim-class stations. In later stages, these makeshift naval yards made way for Calypso-class stations and their dedicated construction yards. Able to accomodate vessels ranging anywhere from a frigate's tonnage to that of a cruiser.
Spoiler

Deluge-class Cruiser Length: 238m / Berth: 75m Rating: *****

Gadeirus-class Cruiser Length: 238m / Berth: 70m Rating: *****

Nephilim-class Advanced Cruiser Length: 253m / Berth: 109m Rating: *****

Gibborim-class Station Length: 103m / Berth: 103m Rating: ****

Athens-class Station Length: 169m / Berth: 143m Rating: *****

[close]

---

Capital ships:
Capital sized vessels were far and few between. Antediluvians lacked the raw materials, especially in early cycles, to produce gargantuan sized vessels. It was more viable to construct multiple small ships for various purposes than a handful of costly capital ships. However, Calypso colonies proved so successful at handling multiple tasks that several were fitted with aft sections. These aft sections contained massive engine compartments, able to drive these humongous vessels into deep space.
Spoiler

Calypso-class Orbital Colony Length: 300m  / Berth: 269m Rating: ******

Atlantis-class Sirius Starship Length: 370m  / Berth: 218m Rating: ******

Atol-class Harbourship Length: 572m  / Berth: 287m Rating: *******

[close]

Antediluvians focus on ballistic weapons and basic launchers:
Weapons:
Spoiler

APT-10 "Plato" Antediluvian Pressure Turret Small, Ballistic

AET-20 "Socrates" Antediluvian Extended Turret Small, Ballistic

ADT-20 "Bermuda" Antediluvian Dual Turret Small, Ballistic

ATT-25 "Utopia" Antediluvian Triple Turret Small, Ballistic

AAT-15 "Atlas" Antediluvian Advanced Turret Small, Ballistic

AST-20 "Hermes" Antediluvian Superiority Turret Small, Ballistic

ATL-10 "Deucalion" Antediluvian Torpedo Launcher Small, Missile

AAL-15 "Prometheus" Antediluvian Advanced Launcher Small, Missile

ALR-20 "Pandora" Antediluvian Launcher Rack Medium, Missile

ASP-10 "Solon" Antediluvian Sonic Pulse Turret Medium, Energy

AAP-20 "Delphi" Antediluvian Advanced Pulse Turret Medium, Energy

PPS Pressure Projected Slug Ballistic Projectile
A relatively small projectile. The PPS is a solid titanium slug, fired from a range of Antediluvian pressure operated weaponsystems. The slug is on average 2 meters in length and 1.5 meters wide. The sheer force behind the impact, generated by its velocity, can cause great trauma to a ship's hull. For it to maintain a straight heading in the weightlessness of space (as it did in the weightlessness of Atlantis' ocean) the slug must be propelled through a rifled barrel.

HPT High Pressure Torpedo Missile Projectile
The HPT is a semi gas-operated projectile, hosting an explosive warhead. The projectile is initially fired from an Antediluvian launch bay, under high pressures. Immediatly after leaving the torpedo tube, the projectile will start to power itself by means of a small ionized gas reserve, giving it an even greater action-range. The torpedo itself is hollow, made from a titanium alloy.

Pulse Ripple Energy Projectile
The Drum-Chambers in a sonic weapon can cause ripples in the very fabric of space. These ripples shoot forth in a directed pulse, causing great trauma upon impact.

"The ARB-10 'Cleito' Antediluvian Reflector Beam. A water based laser beam that can cover incredible distances.
The ARB-10 is the Antediluvian answer to phase technology. As a ship equipped with a Cleito can quickly hit targets over greater distances. These reflectors are now found on larger ships, previously unable to catch up with their phasing prey. The beam is conjured by sending light through a system of aqua-based reflecting pools, at nano levels."
[close]

Antediluvians are rarely seen outside their aquatic suits:
Portraits:
male:
Male suits are bulkier than their female counterparts. They hold the same life-support systems. Only with these suits they are tucked away within the fabric of the vestment.
Spoiler

[close]

female:
Female suits offer exterior oxygen intake and carbon dioxide outtake tubes. The intake runs along from the back of the suit, where a small oxygen container is attached. The outtake escapes from the nozzle tube, and continues down to a storage tank attached to the suit's belt.
Spoiler

[close]

Both the oxygen container and carbon dioxide tanks can be removed and reattached to a suit. The carbon dioxide is emptied into the ship's algy tanks. There the poisonous matter is converted back into oxygen.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 05:09:02 PM by Erick Doe »

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: Antediluvians - work in progress
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 07:03:36 AM »

This is perfect, just as i needed a mysterious faction for work. Erick, you have saved me more than once. And i'm already coming up lore for it for my Novel kind of thing in he AAR section :)

Also, it's great that you're doing weapons aswell :D
And on a further note, what will be the max ship size for the mysterious faction?

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 07:08:08 AM »

I'm keeping these sprites for my own mod, for now. I'd like to design a well balanced mod that goes well with vanilla Starfarer, and perhaps some other mods.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 07:36:57 AM »

Any comments and feedback on the artwork or the course of this mod would be appreciated.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 07:49:50 AM »

It is looking good, but i can only comment on the artwork, not the mod ;)

Hope it'll be up for download very soon :)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 08:44:06 AM »

And on a further note, what will be the max ship size for the mysterious faction?

For the moment, I've got destroyers planned. Overall, ships of this faction will be relatively small, compared to other factions. After all, these ships were initially designed for submarinal exploration and research.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 08:44:47 AM »

Does that mean the fleet will generally be swarmish compared with others?

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 08:48:44 AM »

No, for a number of reasons this faction will not be 'swarmish'.

1.) While small, the Antediluvian ships are rather advanced, as far as hullplating and bulkheads are concerned. This makes these small ships pretty tough for their size.

2.) I like to put emphasis on individual ships. This is also why I'm making a large variety of different looking ships. Each ship in a fleet will feel unique.

3.) The ships are expensive, and Atlantis is not able to produce humongous numbers.

4.) Also, no fightercraft. These small frigates are the smallest ships in the Antediluvian arsenal.

[edit]
Do you feel that the modding community needs a 'swarmish' mod, K-64?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 08:55:22 AM by Erick Doe »

Dante80

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • .aNiMe//GR
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 09:02:50 AM »

Stunning job so far man, keep the goodness coming. I really love the effort you put in both your sprites and lore...<3

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 09:10:31 AM »

[edit]

The scourge. That's all i need to say about that fact.

Also, when we can we least expect an release? Because if you've got your hands full with work, i'm pretty sure there are some volunteers who can help you out on coding (myself included :))
Oh, and once it comes out, i will most certainly enjoy slaughtering an advanced civilization with the TimCORP. As we have always done before ;)

Stunning job so far man, keep the goodness coming. I really love the effort you put in both your sprites and lore...<3

I can't really do much but agree on this point. Epic works here, Erick, keep it up ^______^
And once it comes out, i'm pretty sure we (TimCORP) could strike a deal about protection of your colonies... at a cost :D

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 09:11:49 AM »

Thanks Dante, I really appreciate that.

Right now, I'm looking to add a new frigate, a destroyer, update the lore a bit, and then perhaps add an introductionary video. I'm excited about turning this into my first proper faction.

When that's done, I'll try and produce a first playable version of the actual mod.

I had a lot of fun with the Princeton League as well. But it never really felt as my 'own' faction as I gave away the sprites, and most of the sprites were kit-bashed anyway.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 09:13:50 AM »

Also, when we can we least expect an release?

Soon.

For now, enjoy this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXt2yZ6jn58

:D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:17:03 AM by Erick Doe »

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 09:16:07 AM »

.........perhaps add an introductionary video......

You can make those?? Is it going to be like the ITOG:TA intro videos or?
:D

I'm excited about turning this into my first proper faction.

Live your dreams about it, man :)

Soon.

Touche. Although you forgot the ™ :D

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 09:19:49 AM »

[edit]

Not as such, really. Was mainly asking due to the small size of the ships, thought that maybe to make up for lack of guns on larger platforms, you'd have more platforms flying about the place.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 09:27:30 AM »

[edit]

Not as such, really. Was mainly asking due to the small size of the ships, thought that maybe to make up for lack of guns on larger platforms, you'd have more platforms flying about the place.

Your assumption makes sense. But, as I've explained, the small Antediluvian craft are tough, durable and hard to hit. They will be lacking in firepower, but on the other hand will be hard to take down. And their fleets will have relatively more ships (each ship taking up less fleet points then most vanilla ships). However, not overly so. I'm not going for a 'swarming' feel.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37